ok are you meant to pick with you wrist or your elbow? i have just spent like month unanchoring and i want/need to get a perfect picking technique.

i was told a little while ago you should pick with your wrist but i thought that could cause carpel tunnel syndrone or something

please only post if you know what you are on about, not trying to sound like an asshole or anything

cheers
i think its preference. picking with your wrist will give you much more control than with your elbow, but elbow looks cooler onstage.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Picking from the elbow is generally considered bad technique and I don't recommend it. You're using more muscles and you have to move a longer "thing." It just seems inefficient to me.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Wrist is better, but take it easy and don't play hard either way.
BULLSHIT!!! Playing hard is very necessary, especially for aggressive rhythm parts. You also need to to play hard to allow for different dynamics and accented notes!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
BULLSHIT!!! Playing hard is very necessary, especially for aggressive rhythm parts. You also need to to play hard to allow for different dynamics and accented notes!

Didn't he mean not to play with tension in the body?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Basically, the goal of playing guitar is to have as less tension in the body as possible. This is best achieved by relaxing your arm and moving only the wrist.
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Basically, the goal of playing guitar is to have as less tension in the body as possible. This is best achieved by relaxing your arm and moving only the wrist.

when i play with just my wrist, i pick really slowly. kinda like the feeling of when i was trying to unanchor, but with unanchoring i am glad i did it now.

so is it worth a change in technique and will i gain from it after?
if you pick with your wrist you are going to scrape it alot, but if you pick with your elbow, i dont think you can really touch all the strings with your elbow unless you do alot of bending... probably better to just move your wrist and hit the strings with a pick.
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
so is it worth a change in technique and will i gain from it after?

Yes, you'll gain a lot
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
im prob gonna sound like an idiot but i was wondering for proper technique am i supposed to rest my wrist or elbow or what on the guitar to keep me steady?
Quote by elvenkindje
Yes, you'll gain a lot

the exact answer i needed cheers!

also about the whole carpel tunnel thing, does this really come from the wrist?
are there any any other problems i should watch out for?
To both: Don't anchor. There are lots of threads about it, search
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
To both: Don't anchor. There are lots of threads about it, search

i dont anchor i already got out of that habit i was asking if its worth the change from whole tensed up arm to relaxed wrist
Yes, it's worth it The key to playing fast, clean and accurate is to play as relaxed (tensionless) as possible (and practicing effective, but that's not the point right now)

Start veeeeeeeery slow. Slow to the point of breaking your head over the slowness. Pick a string a couple of times, do you feel any tension in your hand? If not, good, go a bit faster.. Keep it going that way. If you feel tension, slow down a bit and try to relax. You CAN'T play something relaxed fast when you can't play it relaxed slow.

Prepare yourself, you're into something you can't even begin to imagine the annoyance of But it's worth it in the end
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Yes, it's worth it The key to playing fast, clean and accurate is to play as relaxed (tensionless) as possible (and practicing effective, but that's not the point right now)

Start veeeeeeeery slow. Slow to the point of breaking your head over the slowness. Pick a string a couple of times, do you feel any tension in your hand? If not, good, go a bit faster.. Keep it going that way. If you feel tension, slow down a bit and try to relax. You CAN'T play something relaxed fast when you can't play it relaxed slow.

Prepare yourself, you're into something you can't even begin to imagine the annoyance of But it's worth it in the end

cheers i have been practicing like that and its agonising not playing fast!

still wondering about carpel tunnel and other problems though.... any advice or info on them?
Quote by RyanInChains9
none of my arm at all should rest on the guitar????.....

i stil lean my arm on it, just as long as you wrist is hovering and your not resricting it or anything
I use a combination of both. I think that's the best way to do it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
according the Jamie Andrea's book, picking from the elbow is the best....
I honestly don't know....I watch guitarists like those from Lagwagon....man, they're palm muting is fast, and live they do it with they're wrists....
so I don't really know
It's a good question...I'd like to know aswell actually.
"DiSuSe"