Basically I've just started my first band (yay!) and the other guitarist is taking it very seriously and is gona get a stack soon.

So would a 50w tube combo be completly drowned out by a 100w tube stack? and what would the sound difference be when put through a PA?
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
He hasn't got it yet but I'm using a Engl Screamer Combo. He's thinking about an Engl Powerball or something simular. Style is metal.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
it most likely will, especially because its double the wattage and has extra speakers. he may have to turn down and you turn up.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Quote by Trapman870
it most likely will, especially because its double the wattage and has extra speakers. he may have to turn down and you turn up.

Ya thats what im thinking to
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Trapman870

Bugger that's what I thought. It's kinda bad cause it bullies me into getting a stack when I don't really want one yet.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
ask him to think about a 50w half stack, and if he doesn't like the idea, when he's not looking, take 2 tubes out and replace them with ligh-bulbs, this will give you 50w and maybe a few suprises
Quote by Danno13
Yeah. Just go buy yourself an extension cab, dude.

???

I'm a bit rubbish with amps? So I can just get a cab and connect it to my Engl? Is that right? Any cab or a certain wattage?
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
get an extention cab, hes not going to have his amp on anything higher than 2 anyways otherwise youre all going to go deaf.
Playing more paintball and reading more books than playing guitar lately.
Is there a jack on the back of your amp that says "Speaker Out"? If so, there should be a number with an Omega next to it. That's the Ohm rating. Just make sure whatever cab you get matches the Ohm rating, and you're set. (Oh, and don't forget to use speaker cable and not instrument cable)
Quote by Danno13
Is there a jack on the back of your amp that says "Speaker Out"? If so, there should be a number with an Omega next to it. That's the Ohm rating. Just make sure whatever cab you get matches the Ohm rating, and you're set. (Oh, and don't forget to use speaker cable and not instrument cable)

Thanks for that
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
^ what danno said. and if he had any respect for the rest of the band, he would think about things like this. if he wants to be so loud that the rest of you cant be heard, then he doesnt deserve to be in a band
Quote by Gutch220
when he's not looking, take 2 tubes out and replace them with ligh-bulbs, this will give you 50w and maybe a few suprises

haha

Chances are, yea, you'll be drowned out, but you can easily overcome this by either turning his amp down/yours up, or putting your ENGL on top of something, like a chair, so that it projects better and isn't lost in the mix.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Woudlnt he only have 3 more decibels or something liek that (frmo eurotubes)

But if that's right then you shoudl be alright, there probably isnt' much to worry about. You shouldn't be playing at gigging levels for practices anyways.
Quote by Gutch220
ask him to think about a 50w half stack, and if he doesn't like the idea, when he's not looking, take 2 tubes out and replace them with ligh-bulbs, this will give you 50w and maybe a few suprises

If I knew how to, I'd sig that
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Tell him that 100W is serious overkill, and that he'd be better off with a 50W halfstack, as it'd be more crankable. That's not even a lie either.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by kaplac
Woudlnt he only have 3 more decibels or something liek that (frmo eurotubes)

But if that's right then you shoudl be alright, there probably isnt' much to worry about. You shouldn't be playing at gigging levels for practices anyways.

concidering 6dB equals twice the volume, 3dB could be alot.

turning an amp down isn't that hard though little knob, turn anti-clockwise and there you go. he could take out tubes also. no harm in doing so, sounds better and not as loud.
The problem I see is that amps sound best when played pushing the tubes IMO, and having to have you turn up and him turn down to match volume.

Your tone could go to sh1t with both of your rigs. I see that you are both playing ENGL's so money isn't an issue, see if he would get a atenuator <SP?>
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Tell him that 100W is serious overkill, and that he'd be better off with a 50W halfstack, as it'd be more crankable. That's not even a lie either.

I secoand that, Plus the fact that a combo will be much more portable and efficient.
Besides if you are running through a PA he wont be able to crank it anyway so he will just have to lower thew volume and lose "tube" tone

another dream
i was taking a shower
and i took my penis off to wash it
but i couldnt figure out how to put it back on
so it ran away- Superunkown
beatiful anecdote
Quote by Molsons Golden
The problem I see is that amps sound best when played pushing the tubes IMO, and having to have you turn up and him turn down to match volume.

Your tone could go to sh1t with both of your rigs. I see that you are both playing ENGL's so money isn't an issue, see if he would get a atenuator <SP?>

Why buy a 100 watt stack if he is just going to spend more money on an attenuator. Might as well buy a 50 watt stack and save money.
Just FYI theres not much audible volume difference between 50w and 100w, like 6db or something not even. It's mostly just for headroom. The main thing would be the speakers becuase 4x12s tend to project better than combos, although if you have agood 2x12 cab (G-Flex, Mesa, Carvin) they'll keep up just as well as most 4x12s.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
It COULD drown out your combo. But there's no reason to. Your amp will be more than loud enough for any gig. As will his. Just like with any two-guitar setup, you're going to have to balance your levels. It has nothing to do with one being a combo and the other being a half stack.