Well, I remember hearing somewhere that they lose tone after a while and need to be replaced.
Yeah, man.
I just change mine when they lose their feel and sound.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
depends on how often you play

3 hrs/day- once a week
1 hr/day- once every 2 weeks
1 hr/wk- once a month
rarely- every 3 months

for bass strings though, you should just feel on the underside of the strings for flat spots or dirt, or if the tone is bad or they look dirty, or just change them about every 3 to 4 months, although heavier gauges can go further towards the 4 months without being changed
depends on how much u play and how often u clean them id suggest 2-3 months or maybe a little less but id say along those lines.
Well I'm going to be playing 6 hours a day. So I'm gonna have to buy a lot of strings.
Yeah, man.
In my experience:
2 weeks to three months depending on how much you play them and if you can live with slightly cruddy strings, as well as what brand of strings you use

I find summer is a bit worse since you're rather sweatly a lot of the time
Just wipe em down with a tissue or paper towel every time your done playing. Top and bottom. Technically, you're supposed to change your strings before every gig, but I haven't changed my strings in about 2 months and they still sound great.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
i usually just change mine when they broke, or they lose their tone, which usually happens an about a month or two. it sometimes matters what kind of strings you have to because they could rust easily and wear down faster.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

if you want your strings to sound bright, every few weeks works best.
However, for whatever reason, some guitarists like the sound of deadened strings.
Quote by silvadolla
if you want your strings to sound bright, every few weeks works best.
However, for whatever reason, some guitarists like the sound of deadened strings.

I like how strings sound after they are well broken-in. New ones just don't feel and sound quite right. That being said, there is a point where they do start to sound dead, and that is when I change them.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
I play an hour a night and I've had the same things on since I got my new tremelo in January... I keep telling myself to change them but never get to the store to get new strings. I'm worried I won't know how to string the new system so I just leave 'em on.
I usually change mine every 3 weeks or so. I play a lot, so I wear through strings pretty quick.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Ive had the same strings on this thing for the last 3 years. (but I didn't touch it between 3 years ago and a month ago I only started playing it recently)