Well, I recorded this today and I wanted to know what you guys think of it. I recorded this with my Epiphone Les Paul through a MG15CD, while my laptop played the backing. A mic went into the USB port of the laptop, recording it all at once. The sound quality may not be the best, but I don't really care

http://rapidshare.de/files/23410663/Bbmineurtje.wma.html

Click on free (somewhere on the low end of the link) and wait about half a minute.. The link appears, like magic! Have fun listening and any form of advice is welcome!

Oh, and crit for crit!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
35 views and still no love. i'll love you...

This is pretty impressive, my kind of music. The backing is tight, despite the recording which already discussed, this is still some good work. The guitar playing and melody is sharp and on point. bass riff at 1:29 was nice. i see this song goes on for about 5 minutes.

Where did you get the drums, was that all included in the backing?

for a jam this is tight man, i like it. I was listening to mahavishnu orchestra about 10 minutes before i got online, this is no mcglaughin work, but its nice to see some jazz heads in here. Hit me with a crit, some abstract experimental stuff im tinkering with.

www.purevolume.com/gabemendoza

edit: as i was editing i finished listening through the piece, was fun.
Yes, everything except the guitar was in the backing. I'm glad you like it!

Your stuff is nice too Didn't know what to expect at the beginning, but it turned out fine.. You suddenly started pounding out licks like some madman Nice!
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Thanks for the crit, although what did you mean exactly by "throat singing"? Any hints to correct this? Anyway onto your piece. I'll crit as I listen.
I like the jazzy feel, very mellow. You seem to know what you are doing, although I think there are a few notes that seem random or out of place. IMO, the near 7 minutes was a bit long, but it fits right in with the jazz scene. The backing tracks fit in really well. Overall good job, I would give it 8/10.
Thank you, both

Olp07, could you give an example of those out of place notes?

Also, does anyone have a bit of advice on how cancel out the 'overdriven' sound used when I pick the high frets too hard? Thanks in advance
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Now don't get me wrong, I like jazz pretty well, but I think the length was a tad overboard on this jam. Your playing is very cohesive and fits the backing rather well, however, so it wasn't too bad. There's some jazz out there that's harmonically insane (meaning it just sounds out of key to me), but you don't stray too far in this, which I like. I believe I heard you make two mistakes, which in a period of 7 minutes of improv is good. I also really liked the ending. I didn't hear the "overdriven" sound you were talking about though, so I guess I can't help you there. Feel free to comment on any of my works, I have a few reminiscent of jazz:
March in D minor (only because it's my latest)
In the Tail of the Comet
The Harp's Dawn
Tidal Jazz (not actually very jazzy, just some jazz chords)
Wondrous Space, Beginning and End
Last edited by Kidzelda at Jun 18, 2006,
didnt like the intro "1234" haha jokes:

i liked it, but you had a bit too much swing rythmn, and shoulda stayed more with the rythmn of song, which altho isnt a straight eight note rythmn, its not the swing you were doing..

but i like most of the note choices, but vary up your rythmn, try some triplets, dotted notes, try not to do a long run of one rythmn type.
It was good, some parts weren't so inspiring...like when you do the longer scalar runs, you stopped swinging in a few parts of it.
Some parts were really good, but the main thing I would work on is keeping the swing throughout. The sliding parts were nice.

And BTW: what are some other good sequences to run besides the normal 1, 3rd, 5th, 7th? If you know what I mean. If you don't, I'll post a longer explanation later.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by m_three10
35 views and still no love. i'll love you...

This is pretty impressive, my kind of music. The backing is tight, despite the recording which already discussed, this is still some good work. The guitar playing and melody is sharp and on point. bass riff at 1:29 was nice. i see this song goes on for about 5 minutes.

Where did you get the drums, was that all included in the backing?

for a jam this is tight man, i like it. I was listening to mahavishnu orchestra about 10 minutes before i got online, this is no mcglaughin work, but its nice to see some jazz heads in here. Hit me with a crit, some abstract experimental stuff im tinkering with.

edit: as i was editing i finished listening through the piece, was fun.

Conecept in progress is amazing
Quote by Hypnot1st
It was good, some parts weren't so inspiring...like when you do the longer scalar runs, you stopped swinging in a few parts of it.
Some parts were really good, but the main thing I would work on is keeping the swing throughout. The sliding parts were nice.

And BTW: what are some other good sequences to run besides the normal 1, 3rd, 5th, 7th? If you know what I mean. If you don't, I'll post a longer explanation later.

not sure what you mean, but most players use the ninth a lot. including me lol, perhaps i abuse it more than use it.

oh, and the playing is pretty cool. it's hard to make anything gripping over seven minutes unless you're brilliant, so there were obviously boring parts, but i enjoy it more when you did the faster triplet stuff. when you slowed it down, you had the tendency not to change direction with the solos, and they sounded a bit strange. playing faster, you sort of automatically think to come back down or back up because of th tendency not to leave your box, and it gave the melodic ideas a better contour. cool though, it's also a lot less inspiring to play to a track then with musicians, so kudos.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me