Short question, I dont know what people refer to as the "action" of the guitar, apparantly sometimes its lower of higher?

Chrs.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
The action refers to how high the strings are from the fretboard, at lest that;'s what I was told...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
^That's correct. Low action means the strings are closer to the fretboard.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
So, if you were buying a guitar, what would you look for? Is it based on preference or is it better to have lower action?

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Lower - Easier to play quickly and takes less finger strength. More forgiving.

Higher - Clearer sound, takes more strength and skill to play well.

For beginners, lower action is better. EVH used very high action because he liked the sound, but as far as the learning guitarist goes, the lower the action is, the better. Of course, if it's too low you get buzzing, so beware of that too.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
It's all about finding your own sweet spot in terms of action. Everyone plays different, but yea for a beginner the lower action is better.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
lol, you can change the action o most guitars very easily. Even if it has a floyd rose itll only take 5 mins
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
also the lower your action your sustain does go too even yngwie has high action compared to joe satriani and steve vai why because he likes his sustain
like said, action is adjustable on guitars.

But, if u find a guitar in a store that has an especially high action. be cautious. sometimes a store will raise the action on a guitar with fret flaws. they want to sell the guitar, and thats the only way they can set up the guitar without it buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^Thx alot, that really clarifys it.

Quote by Robbie n strat

Quote by PT 2 DOOR RULE
lol, you can change the action o most guitars very easily. Even if it has a floyd rose itll only take 5 mins

There are more things to consider than the height of the strings when raising or lowering them for instance if you lower the action a considerable amount then the intonation will be affected the same applies to raising them, lowering the action can flatten the intonation at the 12th fret, raising the string height usualy sharpens the intonation, this of course depends on how much you raise or lower the strings.
5 mins, not really if you do the job properly.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by notoriousnumber
So, if you were buying a guitar, what would you look for? Is it based on preference or is it better to have lower action?

Basically what jenny said.

Generally a guitar you buy new will be at factory spec.
But, it's far better to have it set as low as it will go. Because if you want to
raise it to your liking that's no prob. But, if you want to lower it, you may not
be able to get what you'd like due to the neck and/or frets. You'll get buzzing
and fret-outs if it's not exactly perfect.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
also the lower your action your sustain does go too even yngwie has high action compared to joe satriani and steve vai why because he likes his sustain

it also helps that he has a scalloped neck
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by notoriousnumber

look for a guitar with a low action but absolutely NO buzzing