So many people these days think that just because they are Slipknot or Metallica junkies, that they could play guitar. This, my friends, is one of the biggest and most annoying versions of a poser ever. (If you haven't already figured out, posers bug the heck out of me) Sure, just about anyone can pick up an axe and pluck out the sketchiest version of a one-string Smoke On The Water ever, but if you're interested in that, play the bass, also, a widely butchered instrument.

Anyway, i digress. To combat this ever-growing flood of posers, i have come up with three basic abilitiesthat everyone who calls themselves a guitar player must have.

1. Every guitar player must be able to name the six strings.(e,B,G,D,A,E) If the poser-in-question cannot answer this, don't even bother with the next two questions.

2. Every guitar player must be able to form these basic Open Chords:E,F,G,A,C,D. Excluding B, because that is to difficult to be formed, unless using a barre chord.

3. Every person who calls themselves a guitar player must be able to read music. Tabs don't count, and neither does those simple letters above the lyrics, but quarter notes, eighth notes, and a good knowledge of the Treble clef. True, tabs can be a good help, but they lack the key signature, time signature, and other essential elements.
No layer can ever be truly good at guitar and not know how to read music. You cannot truly play in a band if you cannot read music. How could you play a good part that links with the bass, or keys, if you don't know how to to read music.And if you ever get lost, it's a safe bet that you are screwed for the rest of the song.

If ther is anyone who you think is a guitar poser, ask the three previous questions to figure it out for sure.

Anyone who knows these things has the official right to call themselves a guitar player.

Jason A. A.K.A Cashewchaching
I wish people like you would quit trying to belittle everyone else who isn't as good as you. Or better yet just quit guitar all together, people like you are no fun to try and work with and you contribute nothing but negativety

and MANY MANY guitar players FAR better then you or I, dont read sheet music and can play circles around you, so seriously, give this pompous self righteous preaching a rest already
So, according to your article, BB King doesn't have the right to call himself a guitar player?

Shut up.

Also, those chords are easy.
Some good points, but ever heard of Stevie Ray Vaughn? He says he can't read music, but he's a hell of a guitarist. You don't strictly need to be able to read music, though it does help. I can't read music for guitar, though i can for piano and some other instruments, generally because i never found i've needed to learn. You can still learn the theory of music, scales, chord progression etc without having to read the music.

Theres also a whole lot of other stuff you need to be a true guitar player; the attitude, the ability to know you're right when people think you're wrong and also a reason why you want to play. I think thats the most important, the message you're trying to get out. Without that, you're nothing.
Quote by Aftter-Forever
POLKA DOTS?!?!
well, that changes EVERYTHING!!!
Wow, sorry, but that 3rd rule is ****. It is and ignorant statement, there are guitar players who have influenced more people and can play 1000X better than your sorry ass ever could(in general terms). I can read music and I do have musical knowledge. Also you failed to point out that you can know and understand keys, timing and other such important skills. I 100% agree with you on rules one and two. But rule #3 pisses me off. Good day.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Quote by cashewchaching

3. Every person who calls themselves a guitar player must be able to read music. Tabs don't count, and neither does those simple letters above the lyrics, but quarter notes, eighth notes, and a good knowledge of the Treble clef. True, tabs can be a good help, but they lack the key signature, time signature, and other essential elements.
No layer can ever be truly good at guitar and not know how to read music. You cannot truly play in a band if you cannot read music. How could you play a good part that links with the bass, or keys, if you don't know how to to read music.And if you ever get lost, it's a safe bet that you are screwed for the rest of the song.

u dont need to be able to read sheet music perfectly man. i can read it but i havent in a while so i have forgotten most of the notes on the strings. you really dont need to be able to read it, it helps but music is about the notes themselves not whats on the paper. what about blind players?

o yea and you falied to mention tuning a guitar, if you cant tune a guitar your basically ****ed since strings go out of tune quickly unless you have locks on the bridge. and stringing a guitar, i confess to say i suck at stringing but i can still do it, its jsut cause i dont do it enough and i always forget which direction to spin the string.
Last edited by backinblack111 at Jun 18, 2006,
elitist mother****er...I can do all those things, but there are plenty of people who can't who are much better than myself. You really didn't put a lot of thought into this did you?
Quote by esther_mouse
...bingo. signaturisation. like burnination, only even more flamey.

Worth listening to
slash doesn't know how to read music and look at him, he was in one of the greatest rock bands ever guns n roses. but if you think he's not a guitar player cuz he cant read, then youre so shallow.
Quote by drunkinkoala
It's weird, kids want to be adults and adults want to be kids.

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
You know you're a guitar player when you would rather use the internet to look at pictures of guitars than spread eagled chicks.
Okay, so i piss people off. But i'm sick of all the emo posers who come up to me playing air guitar and humming god-awful melodies. I get that rule 3 can be broken. i'm sure that Hendrix couldn't read music when he got his guitar, and there are other outstanding players who can't read music. Rule 3 can be broken, but rarely. You have to admit that you would have a much better understanding of any instrument if you could read music.

Either way, that is my opinion, and i welcome your feedback, but i'm sick of guitar posers that's all. if you're on this site, you probably aren't one.

"you're just takin' two coconuts and bangin' 'em together!" -Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
As soon as you pick up a guitar, you're a guitar player. Art is about expression, not about how good you are or something. Theory can help, but it's not the whole point of playing guitar.
Signatures fucking suck.
Quote by SumGreenNOFX182
As soon as you pick up a guitar, you're a guitar player. Art is about expression, not about how good you are or something. Theory can help, but it's not the whole point of playing guitar.

This guy has it all pretty much sumed up, he know's what's up

and if you cant handle people citicizing you for your opinion, then don't share it, keep it to yourself
Quote by Super-Peanut
This guy has it all pretty much sumed up, he know's what's up

and if you cant handle people citicizing you for your opinion, then don't share it, keep it to yourself

:') thank you, thank you
Signatures fucking suck.
Quote by cashewchaching
Every person who calls themselves a guitar player must be able to read music. Tabs don't count, and neither does those simple letters above the lyrics, but quarter notes, eighth notes, and a good knowledge of the Treble clef. True, tabs can be a good help, but they lack the key signature, time signature, and other essential elements.

A good tab will have the timing of the notes indicated. That's a perfectly good way to learn and a good substitute for someone having trouble with sightreading.

Quote by cashewchaching
Anyone who knows these things has the official right to call themselves a guitar player.

Shut the fuck up.