I recently picked up an Ibanez Prestige at the local Sam Ash, and i love it. The action was wonderful and it had tone that you wouldnt believe- it also is equipped with a Floyd Rose (at least the ibanez version). After i brought it home i decided to put different strings on. These were .10 instead of .9. I did everything that i had always done with my fender including moving the saddles around for intunation and what not. So the tuning is great and the intunation is right on, but now the bridge sits high off of the body. a friend came over yesterday and told me that his used to do that, and it isnt supposed to, but that the bridge should be flush with the body. I cannot figure out how to level it out, does anyone have some pointers? Ive tried loosening all of the strings and letting it go back down... im going to take it to a tech if i have to, but id hate to have to do that every time i need new strings (which could end up a bi-weekly proceedure). Thanks in advance-
Patrick
I don't know exactly what to do with you Ibanez bridge since I don't own one personally. But I do know that with the bridge on my Japanese Fender that to get it to sit the way you want the tension of the strings needs to be offset but the springs in the bridge. If you take it to s hop and tell them to set it up for 10's then every time you change strings you'll be fine. It's just because you switched string gauges that you're now having problems.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
or you could just open up the back plate and tighten the springs in the back. or if that doesnt work then get more springs and put them on cause theres usually 3 and you can put on 2 more.
Like teamz said, you'll be fine as long as you don't change string gauges every time.
the lesser known of the 4
Thats normal, you have to adjust the spring tension in the back. Since 10's are gonna pull harder, you need to lessen the tension of the springs.
thanks for the advice everyone. I found a listing that clued me in on the whole tightening of the springs. I got it all tightened up (about as tight as it goes, which is probably bad) and it is much better, but the bridge still not totally flush with the body. I would put another spring or two on (it has 3 now) but there are actually only 3 places to put them on the tremelo itself, the other two places that the holes would be are screw holes for a metal plate that covers the area. also, now that the tension on the springs is higher, the strings are much more tight making it harder to bend and pull. The action is better though as far as string distance from the fretboard. Is this the best i can do?
bridge shouldnt be flush to the body it should be parallel. as far as how high it is off the body you can open up your trem cavity and loosen your strings, tighten springs, re-tune, re-do if needed or wait for mad to post a full guide on this
Quote by False_God
you took off all the strings at the same time didnt you?

it would have done the same thing no matter what he did.

and yes its just a case of adjusting the springs at the back.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
it would have done the same thing no matter what he did.

and yes its just a case of adjusting the springs at the back.

yep but putting new strings back on would of have been alot harder
like said, u need to flip it over and tighten the screws in the back cavity.

add a spring or u need to. but it will level out the bridge.

stock photo, 5 springs and 2 screws.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
like said, u need to flip it over and tighten the screws in the back cavity.

add a spring or u need to. but it will level out the bridge.

stock photo, 5 springs and 2 screws.

jeez why do you need to use all those 5 springs. what strings you using bass strings
Quote by azn_guitarist25
jeez why do you need to use all those 5 springs. what strings you using bass strings

iirc a strat with that many springs will have its tremolo blocked.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
no way, i would never block a trem. a blocked trem just has an owner who doesnt love their guitar enough to set it up correctly.

and my strats play nicely with a 3 spring \l/ pull. and in the MIM case, tight screws.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeh, it should have eyes rolling at the end. and it nots fully blocked as you would probably get a piece of wood and shove it into the right gap