Im lookin to get a half stack... my budget is around $500 unless someone thinks of something great that just a little more. $700 is the absolute maximum

i play alot of rock, alt rock, blues, classic, all kinds of things, so i need it to be versatile

what ive been looking at is...
Kustom WAV http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-WAV-1000-Hybrid-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481276 and the cab (theres a link on the page)
Fender FM 100H http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-100H-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483716 again, with the cab
and the Crate GT1200H http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796

if anyone can tell me goods and bads on these or suggest another, that would be great

thanks
Quote by thatgu1targuy
Im lookin to get a half stack... my budget is around $500 unless someone thinks of something great that just a little more. $700 is the absolute maximum

i play alot of rock, alt rock, blues, classic, all kinds of things, so i need it to be versatile

what ive been looking at is...
Kustom WAV http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-WAV-1000-Hybrid-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481276 and the cab (theres a link on the page)
Fender FM 100H http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-100H-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483716 again, with the cab
and the Crate GT1200H http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796

if anyone can tell me goods and bads on these or suggest another, that would be great

thanks

Yes, I know you're probably tired of hearing this; but solid-state half-stacks are a complete waste of money, unless you're name is Dimebag Darrel.

You can easily pick-up a Peavey ValveKing (with an OD pedal, it'll do metal) or a Traynor (both are tube combos)
Get a tube combo in that pricerange.

Traynor YCV40 or YCV50

Peavey Classic 50
Peavey Valveking

If you're lucky you can get a used Marshall JCM800 combo which will be more than loud enough for most situations and should do those gernes well enough (don't expect to play jazz on with the cleans but it'll do anything rock related).
A used Marshall DSL401 might also come into play

out of the amps you listed the Crate sucks, the Fender has got a decent clean channel but thats about it, no idea about the Kustom
Refixer, im just wondering why u qouted the origanal post and your the 2nd poster.... lol
and thanks seljer that helps

but i am wondering why everyone hates solid state stacks now?
and dont u have to warm the tubes up for awhile and stuff? how long does it usually take?
Quote by thatgu1targuy
Refixer, im just wondering why u qouted the origanal post and your the 2nd poster.... lol

and dont u have to warm the tubes up for awhile and stuff? how long does it usually take?

Solid-States, especially half-stacks, are tone-less little machienes (99% of the time).
Tubes take 30 seconds to warm up, 1 minute if you want to be careful.

And I quoted the 2nd guy, 4Key, because I find it true and amusing.
Quote by thatgu1targuy

because tube amps sound better? espescially if blues and the older classic rock type stuff is your thing, and rock in general

You have to warm up tubes for a minute or 2 with the amp in standby mode. Nothing too tedious. And you have to change them every year or 2 depending on how hard you drive your amps (as they go dull and loose their tone after a while). A new set could be from $30 to $50ish depending on your amp.
how much would new tubes for the peavey valveking be?

EDIT: and i see theres a 112 and a 212 version of the valveking.... the 112 is 50w, that should be enough right? or should i go for the 100w
Last edited by thatgu1targuy at Jun 18, 2006,
Quote by thatgu1targuy
how much would new tubes for the peavey valveking be?

EDIT: and i see theres a 112 and a 212 version of the valveking.... the 112 is 50w, that should be enough right? or should i go for the 100w

50 watts is f.ucking loud dude; its probably equal to at least 120 watts solid-state or more.

Even though I'd take a 2x12 to push more air and spread the sound more.
Quote by thatgu1targuy

IMO the point of having a half/full stack is volume (i know i know combos are just as loud volume wise. i meant as far as the amount of air being pushed...so bear with me).

Stacks were invented because back in the day there really wasnt a thing as a good house PA system and all that blah blah.

ANYWAYS, the reason i think SS half/full stacks are completely worthless is because as we all know with SS the tone goes to sh1t as you turn it up louder..... but yet isnt that the reason why youd want a half stack? a good loud, full, LOUD tone for gigs? SS halfstacks kind of contradict (sp?) themselves.

With tubes, the louder you go...the better they sound...the more speakers you have, the harder it pushes the amp=better sound.

K im done randambling
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE

Stacks were invented because back in the day there really wasnt a thing as a good house PA system and all that blah blah.

Well at first you only had small combos (Vox AC30s and such) but changes in the music scene demands more and more power (the 100W Marshalls for exampe) but the speakers of the time were not able to handle that much so you had to use a lot of them so you ened up having eight 12" speakers in one huge heavey cabinet.
Pete Townshend of The Who had one of these and then asked Marshall to cut the cabinet in half and we got the stack as we know it today.
Speaker technologies have since progressed and you can easily run 150W into 2 speakers but more speakers push more air around, better spatial distribution.... and stacks look badass but the tone is where its at (and stacks are a pain to carry around as well)
ok im probably gonna get the peavey valveking 212... it says that it has 2 speaker outs or something like that, does that mean i could put a cabinet on it and use it as a head? or what does it do
Quote by seljer
Well at first you only had small combos (Vox AC30s and such) but changes in the music scene demands more and more power (the 100W Marshalls for exampe) but the speakers of the time were not able to handle that much so you had to use a lot of them so you ened up having eight 12" speakers in one huge heavey cabinet.
Pete Townshend of The Who had one of these and then asked Marshall to cut the cabinet in half and we got the stack as we know it today.
Speaker technologies have since progressed and you can easily run 150W into 2 speakers but more speakers push more air around, better spatial distribution.... and stacks look badass but the tone is where its at (and stacks are a pain to carry around as well)

yeah I covered all that with the "blah blah" part of my post.

oh and I always say this when Im moving my JCM900 2x12 around:

"whoever says moving around combos is easier then stacks has never had to haul this sunuvabitch around"