which brand would be better? i mean i know they all focus on some sort of hard rock/metal, but a little versatility is also cool. i do play alot of metal like metallica, megadeth, sabbath, avenged sevenfold, etc. i also like nice stuff like eric johnson, chili peppers, hendrix, led zep...what would be best?

oh by the way, i'm not crazy for locking trems because i like to drop my tunning alot but i can just buy a drop D tuner thing for the trem right? thanks
oh yes, the budget, um i dont want to pay more than 700 or 800 on this next guitar. i want it to last, and i want it to be amazinggg. thanks again.
you should first of all try out some models that you like and post them here so we can give our opinions, its you who have to be comfortable with it first. what styles etc do you like most?
I'd honestly divide brands into price ranges here:

Ibanez for 200+, Schecter for 500+, LTD/ESP for 800+

All great brands. Ibanez is very versatile for the most part. Shecter I don't have much experiance with, but I know they're great for metal. LTD/ESP is probably versatile too, but I personally wouldn't use it for anything but metal.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
hey dude, i was looking at a schecter C-7 hellraiser, had never played it, but it looked nice, and i was looking for a 7-string guitar for heavier stuff. I own an Epiphone Les Paul now, which i will use for lighter stuff once i get my new guitar.

Just yesterday i went down to Guitar Center, and they didnt have the Schecter i'd been wanting to try, but they handed me an ESP LTD m-207. It was used of course, they have been discontinued since 2002. I plugged it into a crate 65w solid state, and i loved it. It was used for 330 dollars, and i asked what the original price was. The guy said about 700 dollars, and i was thinking along the same lines as you, with the 700-800 dollar budget. I wasnt planning on getting a guitar that day, because i only had 320 dollars saved up, but when i saw this thing beeing $330, my dad put it on hold just so i can make sure its the guitar i want, and im picking it up in a few days.

I'm convinced that you can get a great ESP/LTD guitar for your budget. You might want to check a few out.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I have a Schecter C-1 BlackJack and I love it. I've found it to be very versatile and it plays really well. If you want to go more metal, you might check out Schecter's Hellraiser series.
ok well metal is my main preference. i'm not a big user of tremolos but one would be cool

schecter guitars...i like almost every single one. the blackjack ones and hellraisers are sweet.

esp guitars...i like the m, mh, viper, ec, and ex series. those are nice.

ibanez guitars...well the sz series would be a first pic but my guitar must have 24 frets. i'm not a big fan of the rg series.
Most ESPs will have 24 frets. The only one im sure that doesnt is the James Hetfeild Truckster.

Also, you could get a used guitar and save a little money, or get an even better guitar for your budget.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

i did recently buy a PRS Carlos Santana SE used on ebay so i can use that for my other stuff so basically my main focus is the awesome metal guitar that has 24 frets lol
please please please get the schecter, i cannot stress enough how important it is that you get that. I have one of the new Avenger Hellraiser models and i can't imagine ever trading it for anything else. It is amazing in every way shape and form. but if the avenger body style isn't for you, just go with the C-1. You will not be disappointed if you go with a Schecter Hellraiser.
Id suggest any ESP Deluxe without EMG's. Your gonna want the versatilty of passive pickups. Seymour duncans have high enough output to play heavy metal. It should fall in your price range.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by SynGates7X
please please please get the schecter, i cannot stress enough how important it is that you get that. I have one of the new Avenger Hellraiser models and i can't imagine ever trading it for anything else. It is amazing in every way shape and form. but if the avenger body style isn't for you, just go with the C-1. You will not be disappointed if you go with a Schecter Hellraiser.

How do we know this? lol I love Schecters as much as you do, but lets be realistic, it may not be his preference. The best way to figure out what you like is to play guitars, LOTS of guitars. Go into every guitar store in town if ness, and drive the salespeople nuts (who cares, its what they're paid for ). Then buy the one that puts you into exstacy when playing it.
Never fight with a Gnome, he'll wreck your f'in garden.

"Standin there just a live wire, no-where left to turn, you were gonna set the world on fire, will you never learn? Now you're shot through the heart."
Quote by Mills_Gnome
How do we know this? lol I love Schecters as much as you do, but lets be realistic, it may not be his preference. The best way to figure out what you like is to play guitars, LOTS of guitars. Go into every guitar store in town if ness, and drive the salespeople nuts (who cares, its what they're paid for ). Then buy the one that puts you into exstacy when playing it.

yes i do suppose your right, i was just trying to make as clear as i could how amazing the hellraiser is
Go get your shovel.
Schecters are probably the most versatile of the group, my friend. Except maybe an Ibanez that has an HSH config., but nah. Go Schecter.
If you would like it to be somewhat hard rock/metal oriented, I would definetely buy an MH-400 from Esp. It has a set-thru neck( set neck, neck through profile) mahogany body, a good liscenced trem ( at least on mine), Active emgs, looks awesome, and is built like a tank. Its the best $660 i have spent by far. With the leftover money, you could get yourself a nice case to go with it, too. If you dont like the trem on the mh-400, you could get the mh400nt (non tremelo). It has all of the same features, but is string thru. The hellraiser series from schecter is great too, but it looks to flashy IMO.
Quote by dertjoe
i suggest esp or schecter just because they are both owned by ESP

errr if im not mistaken but schecter is its own company

edit:
Quote by MESAexplorer
Id suggest any ESP Deluxe without EMG's. Your gonna want the versatilty of passive pickups. Seymour duncans have high enough output to play heavy metal. It should fall in your price range.

what and make him spend money in the quadruple figure yeh right

edit 2:
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
Most ESPs will have 24 frets. The only one im sure that doesnt is the James Hetfeild Truckster.

Also, you could get a used guitar and save a little money, or get an even better guitar for your budget.

yeh take a look at the ESP Eclipse also the ESP Vintage has 21 frets (i think)
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Jun 19, 2006,
Quote by MESAexplorer

LTD Deluxe I suppose you mean... but yes, those are great quality guitars if you're not a fan of the rg series And I would get passives..
Quote by dertjoe
i suggest esp or schecter just because they are both owned by ESP

Taken from Schecters FAQ

Q: Is Schecter Guitar affiliated with ESP guitars??
A: F*ck No

Anyways....Schecter is defo the most versatile of these and I'm naturally biased since I have a C-1 Classic myself.
IIRC schecter and esp are owned by the same parent company and thats about it, they are still run as seperate entities.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
they are run as seperate companies but they do have very simular qualities, really id say either guitar is good but i was in a weird mood i honestly prefer schechter for rock and esps for metal