Okay, so I have to decide.

I have $550-$600 to spend on an amp. Whatever I get, I can get for half price, so consider my budget around $1,150.

I am currently using an ORIGINAL fender princeton twin reverb tube amp...but it is really old, and the quality of the sound is simply fading away.

I am looking into a half stack. Thats what I want. Like I said, I have a maximum price, and I can't get something the store doesn't have (But they have almost everything). I LOVE the sound marshalls can get, but I know it's the expensive ones that get that sound. I would prefer tubes, but I guess worst case scenario, it can be valvestate or something to that degree.

I've heard the vox valvetron series can get a sound thats pretty close to tubes, but will it get that marshall sound? I'm not just another marshall fanboy, I actually prefer the marshall sound. Any ideas on what to get within my price range?

I'd prefer a good clean channel before effects and everything else.

I use an Epi Les Paul, and as far as who I listen to...RANDY RHOADS!!! SLASH!!!, Zakk wylde, ace frehley, motley crue, etc.....But I'd prefer as close to a randy sound as possible.
Please help me with which model I should get for my price range.

Thank you.

EDIT: I do plan on gigging with this.
Last edited by TheAmishOne at Jun 18, 2006,
Dont know bout anyone else but i would go with the marshall
"VANDALISM: Beautiful As A Rock In A Cop's Face."
Kurt Cobain
Quote by xxZeroxx
Dont know bout anyone else but i would go with the marshall

Any help on which model? Best sounding for my price range?
Dont get the AVTs or MGs according to a guy on annother forum.
Kurt Cobain
I would NEVER get an MG..I'd be better off giving my money to a homeless guy.

As far as the AVT's go, I've heard good things and bad things. More bad than good, so I think I will steer clear of them.

LOL
Kurt Cobain
MG's are no laughing matter.....
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
Which Vox?
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
if the sound of your amp is fading then just have it serviced because that is one sweet amp.......seriously dude just have it retubed and serviced and it will be as good as new
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
I have fixed it up, and it just doesn't work for gigs. It's to the point where turning it up past 4 gives it that MG Bees in a Box sound (yes, I have replaced the tubes)....and 4 isn't loud enough.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
For $1100 you could easily get an all tube amp. New you could get a JCM2000 combo or something and even the head. If the store carries used stuff get a JCM800 or JCM900. Pretty much the best way to get that marshall sound, is to get a marshall.
The store carries used stuff, but it's a very small selection of it.

Well, I would love to get a JCM800 half stack.

Whats the best Marshall Cab to get? Price effective wise, ya know leaving money for a head.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
Quote by TheAmishOne

If you're going to go Marshall, the JCM's (800 or 900) seem to be pretty popular around here and should be great for your style of music. There are also the DSL's but I Hear they're slightly more modern voiced, never played one so I can't confirm, but someone around here will have the answer
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
^ nothing exept for the sound it makes

Go with a JCM 800 or 900
yeah avt's are too pricey for what they are, they're realy no diferent from a mg if not worse.
Hoow i'd love a jcm 800 2205 half stack...
i'm not the one to underspend on anything in guitar so i suggest saving a bit more.
Thanks for all the replies.

Is there a huge difference between a JCM800 and 900 or a JCM2000.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
Be different and buy an AC30CC2. With a decent pair of humbuckers you can get a great Marshall tone out of it and more than enough gain to tide you over. I can get a really stellar "Live At Leeds" tone out of it. Also with the Vox you'll be getter heavenly cleans along with the crunch which is something that Marshalls are less adept at.
^Good call, if he can afford one.
If not, look for used JCM800 (2 channel) combos on ebay, or a DSL401 or JCM900 combo.

On a side note..... just get your amp fixed.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I can't get anything off of ebay..I'm getting the half off discount from the store I'm going too (I know the owner).

I think the JCM800 is my best choice. I'm going up there today to look around and test some stuff out. I'll let you know what they have available.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
Oh wow, half price? Cool.

Good luck!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Looking at your gear if you get an 800 all I have to say is:A/B THE PRINCETON AND THE 800!
Do what with the princeton....and yes I'm getting the JCM for about 1000
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
Use your Princeton for cleans and your JCM for crunch and have them footswitchable. Heh imagine running both at the same time,it'd be orgasmic.