I would love to get a new guitar but I'm wondering if it's really time.
I've been playing for over a year but everything has been self-taught so my skill probably isn't on par if I had taken official lessons.
I have an old 2nd hand Squier Strat that's chipped in several places.
I normally play rock.

If it is time to get a new one? Which kind would you recommend? I highly value the opinions of the people here and I feel like a noob when it comes to guitars compared to you guys. I'll probably end up actually buying the guitar you say.
Budget probably around 300$

Thanks so much for any input.

Edit: Oh and should I get a new amp too? I have a 10 watt piece of junk
Last edited by SnoopyKojiApple at Jun 18, 2006,
If you're not in a band that's likely to gig anytime soon, you're guitar's not broken and it's not holding you back in any way by being a cheap guitar, then don't bother unless you're very rich indeed.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
oh id spend the money on a new amp before a new guitar- a les paul would sound like trash through a bad amp
*Blah blah blah my soul to take*
i have the same case. my acoustic guitar is broken on the back but still function. i ahve the money but i going to buy a great guitar.i've been playing just exact 10 month . and if you are going to buy a electric guitar of course! you need to have an amp.
Oh, and even though I'm not too good at exchange rates, I reckon $300 is very slightly more than £150, which won't get you very much better than a Squier over in Britain. I know many guitars are cheaper in your country, but you still might wanna check that out.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
ya i've been playing for bout 2 years or so and have the same strat pack going on, and got an Ibanez for x-mas. I was looking at a new guitar, anyone ever heard or Stellar (was looking at the Mercury 002). Or what a good amp would be since you guys are saying to get that before a better guitar.
Don't spend the $300, you wouldn't be stepping up very much. You are eventually going to need to buy a new guitar and a new amp. I would say save at least 600-700 bucks before getting anything, and in the meantime, practice your ass off.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I bought a Gibson LP Custom after a year of playing... and no I'm not rich or anything, I just knew that playing guitar is something im gonna do for the rest of my life..
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
definitely look at a new amp first or maybe effects like a wah pedal or something unless you dont like your guitar very much at all, your amp affects your tone the most so my suggestion would be to buy a small tube combo like a Fender Blues Junior which sell for $400 new and below $300 on eBay used
Quote by bean-o
Don't spend the $300, you wouldn't be stepping up very much.

Or, go used!

My DKMGT cost me $325
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
I would get a new amp, you can probobly get a decent solid state for 300. If you got a nice guitar, and had a 10 watt POS amp, you would still sound bad. if you had a squier strat, played through a better amp, then you would sound better
I would hold off on buying anything now. Save up and get something you won't need to upgrade (given that your tastes in the music you play don't change too much). I think it's more expensive to upgrade from a starter guitar to a nice beginners guitar, then an intermediate, and maybe even a pro level guitar finally. I prefer starting out with something decent and then skipping to a reasonable high end guitar. It sounds like your guitar is in working condition so that should hold you over until you save up enough to buy a nice new guitar. If that money is really burning a hole in your pocket and your current guitar really isn't working for you, buy a used MIM Strat. Just make certain you try it out before you buy. Sometimes the quality control is crappy and you will get a dud. But if you take the time and effort you can get a very nice one.

Now about an amp. If your amp doesn't work or pisses you off when you play it, get a new one. I heard Vox and Orange make some nice inexpensive amps. Just think, which bothers you more, the guitar or the amp, and upgrade that one.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce