Anyone got one of these?

I've been looking at them and they look freakin good.

A general question on jumbo-bodies, how do they sound typically? I know this one is bright sounding with all the maple and junk but I'll mostly be playing hooked up to an amp or PA and can mess with the EQ.

I'm asking now because I have an offer to get one for $300 locally. I'm going to go try it out at a store tomorrow but I'm looking for any advice for some specific and general stuff to look out for.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

here is a link if you don't know what it is:
http://www.music123.com/Takamine-EG523SC--Acoustic-Guitar-i101989.music

btw, used mainly for strumming with singing
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Last edited by la bamba at Jun 18, 2006,
This is the 12-string I have and I absoutely love it.

The sound is amazing. Purely. Great action, picking and strumming.

Acoustic sound is projecting with more middle range and all others (but still greatly balanced for a 12) . Fingerpicked (softly or harder blues) sounds beatuiful. Strumming is what this guitar was made for.

Plugged in I play with and without pedals through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp. The EQ setting I use mostly is bass a little up, mid at 0 and treble a little down and the sound gets a lot brighter off the tubes but whatever sound you like the EQ should have no problem helping you out. This guitar also sounds cool with a bit of overdrive, echo and flange effects.

At $300!!! What are you waiting for!!! I would just look hardcore for problems because list price on these are quite a bit more.
Last edited by shoffner22 at Jun 18, 2006,
Ha yeah thanks man. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

He listed it originally at $400 (which is what most seem to be going for on ebay) but I talked him down to $300. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow or the day after and hopefully come home with a new guitar. It looks damn gorgeous, hope it sounds as good as it looks
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by la bamba
Ha yeah thanks man. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

He listed it originally at $400 (which is what most seem to be going for on ebay) but I talked him down to $300. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow or the day after and hopefully come home with a new guitar. It looks damn gorgeous, hope it sounds as good as it looks

No problem.

I just wish mine would have been as cheap!
i also have that same 12 string and i really like it. the only thing i don't particularly like about the guitar is the tuners. i'm sure the tuners on the 6 string are different, but just give them a look and play with changing the tunings and see what you think. other than that i have nothing but positive things to say about this guitar. as for jumbo body guitars, i really like them. i think they are by far the most dynamic sounding body style. you can get a plethorah of different sounds out of this thing. for 300 dollars i don't think you can go wrong if it is brand new.
i tried playing the 6 string, and i really liked it, the only problem is that i'm only 5'3-110lbs. it looked like i was one those mexicans in a mariachi band playing those HUMUNGO(sp?) guitars..lol
yea i got one. its definitely an amazing guitar for the price. and... its a frikkin takamine! i have found absolutely no problems with this guitar. except it could have i bit more bass to it unplugged. but still, I can't complain.
i own it, and absolutely love it. (6 string model). gorgeous tone picked/fingerpicked, and the strumming sound with a pick is amazing, smooth and mellow, with, IMO, the perfect balance between bass, mids and treble. you don't really lose any of the notes or tone to muddiness, and this guitar is great to change from strumming to picking mid-song. absolutely lovely guitar, worth every penny i paid for it. you wont regret this purchase at all, and it only gets better each day. personally, i would just check for major flaws in this guitar, as the list is much, much higher. if there are no flaws to the craftsmanship, do not think twice about buying.

Yeah I just got back from the store to try it out. Amazing. I really liked it. I tried it among 20 other guitars or so including some other Taks, Ibanez, Seagull, Martin, and Alvarez.

The tak was among my favorites. The neck seemed a little thin and the action was a little higher than preference but other than that, it was almsot perfect. Thing is a ****load more gorgeous in person wow. The action I can adjust, and the neck, well my other Takamine has a neck like that so it won't be hard to get used to.

Can't wait to get this. Only thing keeping me from getting it is my dad who thinks 3 guitars are enough. But I hope I can persaude him. God I'm going to hate myself if I can't get this, especially at this price.

Thanks yall peace
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Did you end up getting it? If so, how do you like it?
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Does it have solid sides or a solid back? it appears that its laminate on the website?
Quote by karateguy29
Did you end up getting it? If so, how do you like it?

No, but I was really close to. We had been emailing back and forth for a couple of days and I told him I'd buy it. We live in the opposite sides of town so I was going to go pick it up a few days later when I was in the area of his house. I called him but he didn't answer so I started driving up because I had told him via email that I'd be coming that evening. So I'm literally 2 minutes from his house with cash in hand and decided to try and call one more time. He answered and told me he already sold it. What a douchebag.

It might be for the better though. I think I've almost decided I really want an acoustic with a bolt on especially after going through a fiasco with my other acoustic needing a neck reset. I'm checking out Taylors and Tacomas. Solid wood, USA made, awesome. But yeah.

Also after trying it out at a shop, I wasn't positive if a jumbo body style was right for me. Sounds excellent though, I think I'd buy one if it came at a great price again.

Quote by Jmp51483
Does it have solid sides or a solid back? it appears that its laminate on the website?

It's a solid top, laminate sides and back. The solid top is what matters most though imo
Hi!

Sig Retired.