Well, I've been a guitarist now for 6 years, and I'm decently good at it, with some knowledge of scales, theory, etc. After a brief period of indecision I decided to hop onto eBay and pick myself up a cheapo bass to fool around with. I ended up with a Jay Turser Precision style for $130. Anyway, I guess what I want to know is what kind of stuff should I be looking into to build up my chops and hone my technique on this new and foreign instrument. I'd also like to know just some fun little songs to slap out every now and then, and some difficult songs for me to practice, as well.
Last edited by The Pickle Man at Jun 18, 2006,
dude, bass and guitar are alike in some ways.. but have there share of diffrences, sure your good at guitar which can help ALOT, but pratice your scales, arpeggios, and other methods of technique, before stepping up to slap bass... don't take it hard, but you can't just jump from guitar to bass and think you can play diffuclt slap bass songs... but in your case try:

Longview
Lithium
Orion
N.I.B
For Who The Bell Tolls

and others but just cant think, tired as hell, lol

also you need foundations of your technique, for slap, but since your a guitar player, your probably not taking bass as serious..?
I could play slap naturally when I tried it out. Pissed my brother (who's a "proper" bass player) right off, that did.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by BassSurfer
dude, bass and guitar are alike in some ways.. but have there share of diffrences, sure your good at guitar which can help ALOT, but pratice your scales, arpeggios, and other methods of technique, before stepping up to slap bass... don't take it hard, but you can't just jump from guitar to bass and think you can play diffuclt slap bass songs... but in your case try:

Longview
Lithium
Orion
N.I.B
For Who The Bell Tolls

and others but just cant think, tired as hell, lol

also you need foundations of your technique, for slap, but since your a guitar player, your probably not taking bass as serious..?

Thanks, man, and I wasn't using the word "slap" literally, I guess misuse of the English language is just a Newfoundland thing. By that I just meant songs that are fun and relatively easy to play every now and then. I've heard "Lithium" and "For Whom the Bell Tolls", but I haven't heard of the others, who are they by? I am taking the bass seriously, but guitar will still be my primary instrument. I'm looking at bass as a good little skill to have on the side.

Does anybody know of any websites or links with lessons or videos? That would probably help some (maybe I'll try this "Ultimate Guitar" website that's in the address bar of my browser right now).