I posted about Randalls a while ago... But anyways..

Before I start, please don't post things like "Just save up for a good tube head" or "SS sucks..how long have you been playing? Get a tube amp you newbie"
Please...

I am in love with the Randall sound..The only problem is that Randalls are SS. I know Randall makes a 50 watt tube head, But I don't know if it will get the sound i'm looking for.

Randall has this new thing called Valve Dynamics..It's supposedly a MOSFET power section that is tube-driven, and clips softly like a tube amp.

I haven't had a chance to try it, but its in the G3 heads...
Has anyone heard the RH150 G3 head, and if so, how does it compare to the RH100 G2 head?

I have seen the RH100 G2 heads on ebay for around $250, I was thinking about buying 2 and running a single 4x12 in stereo.

The RH150 G3 head is $480

So, is the new Valve Dynamic technology worth paying double for about the same volume?

Would 2 100 watt SS heads be loud?
Or would I be better off getting the RH50t tube head? (50 watts)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the G2 amps have the same preamp, so which would be better?

2 RH100 G2 heads

1 RH200SC G2..it's supposedly 2x100 watts which i'm guessing would be as loud as 2 100 watt heads

The RH200 G2 would save space, but that isn't really an issue. 2 heads looks cooler than 1 anyway :]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the second part of this, the cabs, which of the following would be the best?
[Cab will have V30's]
1 4x12 cab in stereo
2 2x12 cabs
2 4x12 cabs is an option but money is limited. Would an extra 2 speakers per amp affect the volume much?

I have a temporary Crate 2x12 that sucks, but what I could do is buy 1 RH100 G2 and use it with the cab until I can afford to get a good cab, and then get the second head.
If I went with the RH200SC G2, It's 2x100 watt stereo so i'm guessing I could run just one side of the amp until I got another cab..but then again would the impedance be an issue?

Another alternative to all this is to run 2 of the RH100 G2 combos. I can't afford to get 2 of the 200 watt combos, and 200 watts SS isn't much louder than 100 watts SS.

The reason I wanted to run heads and cabs instead of combos is because..well..think of it this way.. It will cost more, but not all at once.
I don't have alot of money saved to spend at once, but I will have paychecks. So everytime I get a check (or if I can control myself and wait for a second check) I can buy part of the rig. With 2 combos I would have to save up more..and I hate having money and not being able to spend it. Having 2 combos would be easier to move, but 2 heads and 1 4x12 would look cooler.. you gotta have stage presence. :]

so anyways.

I apologise for the size of the thread, I know it's probally boring you all to bits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :]
-chase

!EDIT EDIT EDIT!
I just found someone selling Randall power amps on Ebay..

RP2/200:
225W @ 4 ohms per channel
200W @ 8 ohms per channel
1/4" inputs
Dual 1/4" and Speakon outputs per channel

They have 19..

So if I ran 1 RH100 G2 and ran the line out to the power amp, I'm guessing it would sound like this:

1 100 watt head
2 200 watt heads

But if I did it this way, I would have to spend way more on cabs...
I would get addicted to it and run the RH100 G2 as a fullstack and then 2 fullstacks on the power amp.

So I probally won't go that route..But it's another option.

EDIT:
Other heads I may consider instead of the RH100 G2:
I am looking through Harmony Central, I notied the Century 170 II looked pretty good, and they can be found in the same price range ($200 to $350 used)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_mEp3SbtI

Also one I may consider is the RG100ES, they can be found for $200 to $350 used as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheB7agxFBE&search=randall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W7Fgmz45Kk&search=randall%20amp
Last edited by chase312 at Jun 19, 2006,
idk about you but Im a $150 away from the rh50t, you know where Im going

I would say go with the single g3 or the all tube

how long have you been playing?
lol
but seriously, I think it depends on what style you play
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
8 years.
Going with a single G3 wouldn't be loud enough (150 watt SS) and I can't afford the 300 watt.

I can't afford 2 G3's
Which is why I was thinking of 2 G2's

I don't wanna just say metal as the style, because it really isn't metal but thats about the closest I can get to it.

Imagine Pantera doing an UnderOATH cover
With Hawthorne Heights sounding vocals (Sound, not lyrics. I'm not emo.)

It's hard to explain haha.

Ps. Let me know how the RH50T sounds :]
Randall actually has a whole line of tube amps and heads... you may want to look into the MTS series. The MTS has little rack-like module preamps which you can pick and choose if you want to change your tone drastically without buying a whole new power amp head. The RM100 can hold 3 preamps and this amp is 100W of all tube. when hooked into a 4x12 it will be damn loud.. (you will want to invest in ear plugs).

Another suggestion if you really want 2 heads... to take advantage of stereo effects (im assuming this is why you would buy 2 amps) then u should hook them up through separate cabinets so you can spread them out. You wont hear them in stereo if the sound is coming from one cabinet..
I can't afford the MTS series.. I wish I could. I've played on the 100 watt MTS series with a Recto module..It's like heaven

But I can't afford it :[

The reason I was considering 2 of the G2 series amps was because they are solidstate, and 1 isn't loud enough. I would be using 1 cabinet because 2 100 watt heads will be alot louder than 1 200 watt head.
Quote by chase312
8 years.
Going with a single G3 wouldn't be loud enough (150 watt SS) and I can't afford the 300 watt.

I can't afford 2 G3's
Which is why I was thinking of 2 G2's

I don't wanna just say metal as the style, because it really isn't metal but thats about the closest I can get to it.

Imagine Pantera doing an UnderOATH cover
With Hawthorne Heights sounding vocals (Sound, not lyrics. I'm not emo.)

It's hard to explain haha.

Ps. Let me know how the RH50T sounds :]

Sorry to try and sway you to another amp, but if you're looking for something like newer UnderOATH (which is really heavy, IMO), go with a 5150II/6505+. I don't see how 150W SS isn't enough. The 5150II/6505+ will easily give you enough volume. 120W of pure tube power should be able to crush your skull.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Ambulance X
Sorry to try and sway you to another amp, but if you're looking for something like newer UnderOATH (which is really heavy, IMO), go with a 5150II/6505+. I don't see how 150W SS isn't enough. The 5150II/6505+ will easily give you enough volume. 120W of pure tube power should be able to crush your skull.

I don't think you got what I meant by imagine Pantera covering UnderOATH..

Dimebag sound
UnderOATH chords

Sorry for confusion >_<

ps. 150 watts SS isn't loud at all.. 100 watts tube is loud enough to hurt people.
Personally i like the GH200SC, ithink that's what it is, the 200 watt model with the stereo chorus stuff... get one of them, 2 cabs, and a power amp... over time that is...
Quote by santhony1987
Personally i like the GH200SC, ithink that's what it is, the 200 watt model with the stereo chorus stuff... get one of them, 2 cabs, and a power amp... over time that is...

The GH200SC G2 is 2x100 watt, which (i'm guessing?) is as loud as using 2 100 watt heads (RH100 G2)

The only thing extra I see is the Stereo Chorus, and I don't use effects.

What would the power amp be used for?
You aren't going to need 100+ watts. 100 watts is loud enough I can guarantee you. If you need louder, you can alwasy mic it. You are going to be turning the amps to 5 with 200 watts, even if it is solid state. I would just get the 50 watt tube randall if I were you. No hybrids really act like tubes.
Quote by jmac72187
You aren't going to need 100+ watts. 100 watts is loud enough I can guarantee you. If you need louder, you can alwasy mic it. You are going to be turning the amps to 5 with 200 watts, even if it is solid state. I would just get the 50 watt tube randall if I were you. No hybrids really act like tubes.

How do you really know that 100 watts is enough? How do you know the size of the venues I preform at?

100 watts SS may be loud enough for you, but for my application it isn't. I have been playing for 8 years, 2 of which were spent touring. I know what 'loud' means.
I'm not asking if 100 watts SS is loud enough, i'm saying that it's not.
Sorry that i'm being an asshole.
I don't want to argue with you.
If you are playing at such big venues, then they must have PA systems that you can mic your amps with. I use 100 watt tube not SS so it is a lot louder. 100 SS is plenty if you are playing at such big venues. Unless they are smaller tours but in bigger local venues such as VFW's and city halls. Why can't you just mic the 100 ss?
If you like the Randall tone, which is a very distinct, but very solid state, tone, then there's no reason to consider tube. From what i've heard, the new MOSFET powered randalls do get a bit more tubey but are essentially randall tones. Check them out, but they may not be what you want (or worth the price difference)
I have no experience here, but I will say the V2 and T2 heads blew me away. Really awesome SS amps.
Quote by Danno13
I have no experience here, but I will say the V2 and T2 heads blew me away. Really awesome SS amps.

Have you played them or heard them?
Sorry, I was confused by what you meant by no experience.
Quote by chase312
Have you played them or heard them?
Sorry, I was confused by what you meant by no experience.

Played them. I meant I haven't played the models that were mentioned in the first post, but I have played ofther Randall TubeDynamic amps.
I'd love to get a V2, but I can't afford one. They're beautiful looking, and I'm pretty sure they sound orgasmic.

I am looking through Harmony Central, I notied the Century 170 II looked pretty good, and they can be found in the same price range ($200 to $350 used)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_mEp3SbtI&search=randall%20guitar%20

Also one I may consider is the RG100ES, they can be found for $200 to $350 used as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheB7agxFBE&search=randall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W7Fgmz45Kk&search=randall%20amp
Last edited by chase312 at Jun 19, 2006,