meh, i dont like them.
pretty sure they're not punk.
peace & chemicals
If you can listen to them for the first time and not make up your mind that Kathleen Hannah?s voice isnt annoying, then they are enjoyable. Although her later band Le Tigre is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better.
SIZE]
hell yeah! they're pretty damn cool. I'm not to familiar with their stuff or Le Tifre for that matter, but I've always liked them everytime someone plays them. The fact that them being "punk" or not is even under debate is sad.
It's easier to just call them Riot Grrrl and be done with it, but yeah, I'd classify them as punk, if only for the attitude.

Ahh... chicks with guitars...
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
Quote by RockThe40oz
Oh the irony of that statement in a BK thread.

I'm glad you picked up on that.

Last.fm
Yeah, the "chicks with guitars" post in a Bikini Kill thread just about made my head explode. Usually irony of that level cannot be held within our plane of existence. I mean, IE would have crashed at least.

Anyway, Bikini Kill are pretty cool, and most definitely punk rock. I support them in that they have the ovaries (?) to be an overtly feminist act in a genre that is by and large made up of white males.
However, I still think that BK are kind of misguided in their sexist antics sometimes. What's that you say? BK, sexist? This makes no sense!
But yeah, BK have done some pretty sexist stuff. Directing/forcing male fans to stand at the back of venues during concerts is not exactly welcoming and inclusive stuff. I mean, these men have paid money to come see you play, supporting you, and you give them a none-too-subtle "fuck you" in sending them to the back of the venue?

Win 'em over, girls.

Punk rock has been somewhat sexist, historically (see the incident in which the singer for the Slits was stabbed in the bum by a sexist punker - "Here's a slit for you.") - even if not intentionally a lot of the time, and I think that Bikini Kill are right to attack that - and sexism in mainstream society. However, attacking it with sexism against men is not the right route to take.
no
^ Hey, I didn't come back after this huge hiatus just to say "Bikini Kill is cool but they are kind of nasty to menfolk."
no
i think you have a good point i was just laughing at the ironic statement...

but yeah... i mean this can be seen in any art form where you have any type of minority expressing themselves. They lash out against whatever they perceive to the persons responsible for holding them back. Do I think it's right? No... not really... but i do understand why they would feel that way and I can't blame them, i'd probably do the same.
Quote by bucky_2300
Yeah, the "chicks with guitars" post in a Bikini Kill thread just about made my head explode. Usually irony of that level cannot be held within our plane of existence. I mean, IE would have crashed at least.

Hah. I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote by bucky_2300
Anyway, Bikini Kill are pretty cool, and most definitely punk rock. I support them in that they have the ovaries (?) to be an overtly feminist act in a genre that is by and large made up of white males.
However, I still think that BK are kind of misguided in their sexist antics sometimes. What's that you say? BK, sexist? This makes no sense!
But yeah, BK have done some pretty sexist stuff. Directing/forcing male fans to stand at the back of venues during concerts is not exactly welcoming and inclusive stuff. I mean, these men have paid money to come see you play, supporting you, and you give them a none-too-subtle "fuck you" in sending them to the back of the venue?

Win 'em over, girls.

Punk rock has been somewhat sexist, historically (see the incident in which the singer for the Slits was stabbed in the bum by a sexist punker - "Here's a slit for you.") - even if not intentionally a lot of the time, and I think that Bikini Kill are right to attack that - and sexism in mainstream society. However, attacking it with sexism against men is not the right route to take.

I dig everything you just said. I hadn't heard about that happening at BK concerts, and that's kind of odd, in my mind. I mean, obviously the men who are going to a Bikini Kill show aren't going to be male chauvinist pigs. Unless they're hecklers...

Anyway, BK rocks. Most riot grrrl bands are pretty fantastic, actually.

Last.fm
This is a good point to note that I could start a Rocky Horror genre of punk and we could wear the thongs that the Riot Grrl (Grrl being almost as stupid as "womyn") bands would otherwise set on fire.
no
Quote by bucky_2300
This is a good point to note that I could start a Rocky Horror genre of punk and we could wear the thongs that the Riot Grrl (Grrl being almost as stupid as "womyn") bands would otherwise set on fire.

Do it. Right now.

Last.fm
I never heard bikini kill, although I support the fact that they helped a whole new approach to politics in punk rock, and I hope more people start listening to what they're saying. In fact, I just got back from posting a feminist blog on myspace (unfortunately I made it "friends only" so not many people can see it)

But I think a new Riot Grrl movement would do a whole lot of good for peoples morals right now. Theres too many kids listening to all the rappers refer to women as "b*tches" and "ho's" and just generally treating women like they're only there so they can have sex with them, and I'm starting to think that soon the kids will start copying their favourite rappers and turning sexist.
(NOTE: I'm not saying all rappers are sexist, and I'm not saying the only sexist musicians are rappers. I'm just saying that I hear that a lot in "popular" rap music, and if thats what the kids are listening to, we should be worried.)
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
I wouldn't say that the only sexist musicians these days are rappers, a lot of metal, punk, and the new wave "emo" bands are sexist. I like the compare the new "emo" (which, IMHO, is not emo, merely corporate pop-rock with a buzzname) to hair metal, because it's a bunch of male bands with sexist lyrics that either talk about women as if they're objects, or hate women because they "broke their black hearts". Heh. It's mainly mainstream rap that talks about bitches and hoes and what not, underground rap and old school rap is actually really good (again, IMHO).
I identify with and support riot grrl... but they'd probably beat me up if they met me. I look like a total mysognist but my mom raised me as a feminist and I get all awkward around girls because I try and not do any of the mysognisitic things alot of other dudes do. Feminism and Riot Grrl ****ed up my high school dating experience!
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
the first time i ever saw a pciture of le tigre i thought the band was made up of two girls and a gay guy...lol
you mockin me?? haha
I see what you're saying but I wasn't trying to make a joke, that's a true story... just came to my mind when i saw that pic .
the ultimate sign of female rights is that to have facial hair and not be ashamed of it!

Eh...I could have just made 20 arguements with myself about that statement. But it's late, and you should all just listen to the Lunachicks.