Hey people, I'm more or less a beginner guitar player as I have been playing since February, but feel I am progressing well. I currently play a Squier Affinity Strat which is average at best, but good for the price (maybe I got lucky! ) as well as a Taylor Big Baby (£170 from my cousin now that he has an Avalon) and am getting a 75 watt Line 6 Amp on Tuesday, but I need a new electric as the Strat is my little bro's. Problem is, I don't have much money at all so my options are limited as to what I can get to suit my budget which can't go much higher than £200. I play a wide variety of music so versatility is important but I don't want a Strat as I already have one and it's too common. I play a fair bit of blues-y style music including the Stones, AC/DC, White Stripes, and Black keys, as well as punk/new wave and Stooges and Strokes style garage rock and some QOTSA among other things. The only things I don't really have a go at are metal (except Ozzy era Black Sabbath, which is different!), hardcore and jazzy stuff, so you kind of get my drift. I am also more of a rhythm than a lead player to, so I would like something that isn't too much like hard work to play (like a Burns - according to my cousin). I have tried out a few guitars, but it's geographically hard for me to get to a guitar shop so I haven't tried many, so what I'm looking for is any suggestions on top of these:

Squier Tele Custom p90 model: My current front runner as it is well within price range and sounds great.

Les Paul Special 2

Epiphone SG special and G-310

Epiphone dot studio

Squier Obey series Strat: Don't be put off by the looks, this guitar is a tone machine!

Gretsch Junior Jet 2 PU model: Probably 2nd place so far.

As you can see, mostly epi's and squiers, as the shops nbear me don't stock much other budget brands apart from these and Staggs (no chance!) I have heard Vintage guitars are good for the money.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Greg
i say gretch
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
You can't afford a decent Gretsch. An Epiphone SG G-400 would be good. Or hell, an Epiphone Les Paul. Not the Special II. That was my starter guitar. You don't want another starter.

Personally, I hate Line 6 amps. Buy a Crate of the same power. Much better.

And get a loan, if you need to, but get a decent level Epiphone or Fender. No squiers. No super-cheap Gretschs.

Epiphone G-400(399$ US) or a Fender Telecaster Standard(369$ US). That's the best idea, I think.

That should JUST fit into your price range.
Last edited by Fargalas at Jun 18, 2006,
Quote by Fargalas
You can't afford a decent Gretsch. An Epiphone SG G-400 would be good. Or hell, an Epiphone Les Paul. Not the Special II. That was my starter guitar. You don't want another starter.

Personally, I hate Line 6 amps. Buy a Crate of the same power. Much better.

And get a loan, if you need to, but get a decent level Epiphone or Fender. No squiers. No super-cheap Gretschs.

Epiphone G-400(399$ US) or a Fender Telecaster Standard(369$ US). That's the best idea, I think.

That should JUST fit into your price range.

Crate amps are a joke. I have the FXT-65 which is the equevilent to the SPider II 75 and there is no comparison. The line 6 has like 10 amp models, all of which sound good, the effects are better, my crate with distortion and effects sounds like its playing underwater with reverb on 38172.

As for guitars, i'd agree with you. Don't get another cheap guitar seeing as there would be little improvement if any improvment at all.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
yep should of gotten a roland cube amp much better for the money. as far as guitars are concerned those are all starter guitars and you should save more money