Arrite I have a crapload of options here and I need some guidance.

I need to record some songs with vocals and guitar parts

First, I have a zoom g2.1u, which has a usb interface. I know that this is for recording guitar- but could I use a mic with a 1/4" cable and record vocals with the mic? Would I need a mic-preamp?

Also, I have a friend that has a sound blaster audigy 2 zs notebook soundcard, which is a pretty good card. Would using this card sound better then using an interface such as the g2.1u? Would I need a preamp to record with a mic with this as well? How the hell would I get the sound into the card?

Ok a summary:

-Zoom g2.1u

-sound blaster audigy 2 zs notebook

-needs to be able to record vocals. Mic'ing in the amps is not neccessary, but is a nice option.

-Have vocal and instrument mics already, but not with me so I cant experiement.

What the hell should I do?

I need to keep it cheap too, <$100 USD
I say record ON the notebook with the Audigy, but using the Zoom for everything except the vocals. For the vocals, simply plug the mic into the mic jack on the notebook, using an adapter if you need to, but not a preamp -- I don't think that's neccissary.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
Yes I agree with FadingRoots. Use your G2.1u to record your guitar and then use your audigy to record the vocals. If you can, mic your amp and record it with the mic and the G2.1u at the same time and see how that sounds. Which mics do you have?
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Quote by Crazy Drummer69
Yes I agree with FadingRoots. Use your G2.1u to record your guitar and then use your audigy to record the vocals. If you can, mic your amp and record it with the mic and the G2.1u at the same time and see how that sounds. Which mics do you have?

My friend has a handful of dynamic mics that I havn't checked out, and he has a sm58 for vocals