Hi, i'm a noob to recording... i have a mesa boofie half stack and a sm57 mic, i want to know what software would be the best to record to my computer. And how would i connect everything to my computer.... Finally, would recording it to my computer affect the original sound of my amp because i want to keep the original tone of my rectifier....thanks
You will be able to retain your amp's sound if you mic it with decent hardware, which we can help you with if you can provide us with your budget =)
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
An audio interface would do u good, I can expand upon it if u are interested
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
well, there are many audio interfaces out there that you can use to bypass your sound card. they connect to your computer via USB or firewire. if you have a firewire port on your computer then you probably want to look for one that connects with that, as it is a slight bit faster connection.

which interface you get depends on your budget and what you will be recording. i would say that you should probably aim for an interface with at least two inputs. my interface only has one, which really limits what i can do with it (ie. no recording in stereo). if the interface has two inputs then you can at least run a mixer into it, using the stereo outs in the mixer to go into the interface.

what you really need to do is expand on what your budget is, because extreme for a 14 year old with no job is completly different from extreme for a 25 year old who pulling down $45 grand a year. like one of the best interfaces has 8 inputs, runs firewire, and is really powerful, but is also like $700. thats out of my price range at the moment, but it may not be out of yours.

but basicly you are going to want an interface, then connect the mic to that interface to record your amp. the sm57 is great for micing amps, so you have a good start there. im not entirely sure about micing a cab, but youll probably want to have the mic about 6"-8" from the faceplate pointing at one of the speakers (or maybe between two of them). that should pretty accurately capture the sound of your amp.
^Nice man, and yea we really need to know a budget
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
anywhere between 200-500, and would i be able to use cubase sx3 by using an interface