Page 1 of 2
something ive noticed on ug is that if you dont have the right kind of guitar your instantly flamed. but alot of the time the lesser known brands are just s good if not better (for me an epi lp custom works just as well as a gibson and i dont have to sell my self into prostitution to aford one) in my five years ive played fenders, gibsons and many other high end brands but my saving grace was a epi lpj (no ****) it was perfect for that gritty down right slutty hard blues tone. and i wasnt able to achieve this on any other guitar! ive also noticed im naturally drawn to different guitars like jimmys danalectro or jack whites airline or kay (although his skill is debatible his tone kicks ass) so basically im looking to see who on ug has an different or interestingly modded guitar out there. if you want post a pic and tell us why you love it.

sorry about the length........
Everyone has their own ear for tone. For example, I think that the Spider II amps don't sound as bas as everyone claims they do. And I've heard the Cube 30 and 60, and Vox AD30VT and AD50VT.

As for me, I have a feeling that when I get my Single Recto, I'll be keeping my DKMGT until I get enough cash to order my dream Custom shop Jackson.

Which will consist of:

Mahogany body (Strat/Dinky shape)
24 frets
TOM bridge
Reversed headstock
Grover tuners
SD LiveWires
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
How much was that Traynor?

You don't get flamed here if you don't have the "right" kind of guitar. At least I've never seen it.
i saw some black guy at guitar center playing an electric guitar with a slide it was 100$ and he made it sound amazing
Quote by karateguy29
That's a nice strat.

Thanks.

The Traynor was $400 on Ebay.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
les paul juniors are nice playing guitars and are good for $100 i guess, but i have a Dean Evo X (not xm) which i got for $325 and i put stickers on it which make it look better and more interesting, the fretboard on that strat is amazing dr. no and nice pedals and amp
my washburn wi16 plays better than my friends strats and its worth like 1200 dollars less and i have a spider 2 amp also and i actually really like the tones you can get on the insane channel. kind of like disturbed-esque sounding.
also i'm building my own bc rich style guitar with strat style gear its very different but i'm not done yet. the pickguard will also be black along with all the gear the parts just aren't in yet
i'm not sure how to get the picture in here
Quote by imnotcommunist
lets make an emo song!!
first play same 2 power chords over and over
have a breakdown every 10 seconds
cry and whimper
dont forget the hair over one eye
and the depressing lyrics on how your teddy bear died!
Last edited by RJMan at Jun 18, 2006,
Quote by mikeman
How much was that Traynor?

You don't get flamed here if you don't have the "right" kind of guitar. At least I've never seen it.

Haven't you seen the numerous posts "JeEzzZus MAn!!!1!1 UR guitar suxxx x's 1498612056 cuzz it saiys SQierd on it!!!1! I meeen come on, git and Ibunezz!!
Uh, well I don't think that ever happens... but even if it did why would you take it seriously? It's an interent forum. If people are going to prove themselves to be immature and stupid you shouldnt listen to them.
I play guitar
Yeah, if you find a guitar you like that others dont, just because its cheap or an off brand...why does it matter?? Dont listen to them, its a bunch of 11 year olds on an internet forum.
Quote by myvaliantleap
Haven't you seen the numerous posts "JeEzzZus MAn!!!1!1 UR guitar suxxx x's 1498612056 cuzz it saiys SQierd on it!!!1! I meeen come on, git and Ibunezz!!

No, its usually amps. MGs, Spiders, SS Amps, etc.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I remember when I couldn't here how much worse an epiphone was than a gibson. Some epiphones sound nice, but you have to find just the right one...

Then I learned how to play guitar and I could hear the difference
HA! You think you hear it for having an Epi instead of a Gibson?

I own an MG. Here on UG, that makes people automatically assume I'm a dumbass n00b that deserves to be flamed for my amp.

In reality, however, I know a lot about different guitars. I know good gitars in different price ranges, good guitars for different genres, etc. Yet, they don't take me seriously because of my amp. That's just stupid. People ignoring advice backed up with facts because of the gear the advice-giver has.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
It's true -- there is a lot of MG bashing here in UG and many people choose to regurgitate what they hear instead of forming their own opinion about the amp.

I once played an MG in a music store and it sounded amazing. Then I tried another MG in another store and it sounded like crap. So I'm not even sure what to think anymore. I think I would agree that they tend to be inconsistent/unpredictable.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Armored Artist
It's true -- there is a lot of MG bashing here in UG and many people choose to regurgitate what they hear instead of forming their own opinion about the amp.

I once played an MG in a music store and it sounded amazing. Then I tried another MG in another store and it sounded like crap. So I'm not even sure what to think anymore. I think I would agree that they tend to be inconsistent/unpredictable.

I agree 100%. People get bad opinions on things because of what they hear on UG. They don't actually go and get hands on experience with the guitar/amp/etc. that they're commenting on. I admit that I've done it in my time too. I'm sure most of the people here have, but most have also wisened up and actually gotten opinions of their own (as I have).

As for the second MG you tried, it could be that the FDD switch was off. It seriously sounds like a different amp with it turned off. And also quite bad with it off. But, with it turned on, it actually sounds decent for a SS amp. I haven't really seen much difference in quality for them...Although the shop I go to has everything set up perfectly, so if they got a bad sounding one in, I can guarantee you that they sent it back.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I don't like MG's because they sound bad for my style of music - I'm a blues player, I used to OWN one so I know if I like it or not^^ But i don't judge anyone on their equiptment, unless they own a firstact and say it is the best guitar ever
Oh my God...a UGer with an opinion backed up by facts and experience??? A UGer who doesn't judge people by their gear??

HALLELUIJAH!

It's a miracle. A UG miracle.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
MG's are not as bad as they are made out to be. I have played a wide variety of amps and mine can keep up with most/if not all of them. The problem is, a bunch of idiots that joined the site last month come and and all they know is
RG1570 GOODOOODODOOD
MARSHALL MG BADDAADAD
SPIDER II BAADADADDA
AGILE GODOODOODODOD

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by Xenn99
Oh my God...a UGer with an opinion backed up by facts and experience??? A UGer who doesn't judge people by their gear??

HALLELUIJAH!

It's a miracle. A UG miracle.

How about you go back to MX?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
My epiphone les paul custom would compete with many gibsons with a pickup change. I actually find its set up better than that of ALL the gibsons i've ever tried, and i've tried quite a few.

Brand doesn't matter at all, except for determining average quality. I'd rather spend 600 on a great guitar with a bad name on its headstock, than 2,000 on a good guitar with a good name on its headstock.

Of course, its all about preference. I prefer a really high action, coz i find it makes my bends easier, although sloppiness is easier to hear. I think it just makes me a better player, because i have to make an effort not to let dead notes and loose strings ring out during a particulary hard solo. Its just the way im used to play.

As for amps.. Well, i think its more dependant on brand when it comes to amp. I think its less variation in terms of quality inside one particular model range. Thats also why i sold my soul for that mesa boogie f-50.

Anyway, i think my epiphone will remain my main guitar throughout life, at least the way things are now, and i wouldn't sell it for any price. I'll be making modifications at it as the years go by, of course, but its more than enough for me at present

Btw, i've never seen anyone flamed for having "bad" equipment.
xenn99 has hit the nail right on the head.... as usual

I happen to love modelling amps just because my tastes are so ecclectic, in fact I was looking to upgrade my AD30VT for an AD100VT halfstack because the amp is peerfect for me not for anyone else, it does what i need it to and does it well

I think the general attitude of people on here is that they think that their taste in gear is best for everyone, and then wonder why Fender people reject them when they recomend an ESP eclipse to them for playing blues......
please, squier bashing runs rampant.

and that's just because guys forget its a starter guitar and that u need to know how to test out/ try a guitar proir to purchasing it.

as long as you like what u own it shouldnt matter what other people think.

if i try to steer someone away from the epi specials, its because i know there are better made guitars at the same price.

the same is true for mgs and i wish someone told me, before i made some of my first purchases.

sometimes guys jump on the bandwagon, or they flame a guy who already bought a certain amp or guitar, yet have no experience wt those products themselves. thats wrong and that's just kids being kids.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I own a Washburn Lyon and it is amazing. It was very inexpensive but I love it. I won't tell you how cheap though....it's kind of embarrassing...lol. I love it.
Jazzer by day, rocker by night

Gear:

Washburn Lyon- (my mate)- Maverick
Fender Acoustic- (my brother)- Lou
and my favorite

Selmer Hummingbird
Reference 54 Alto Saxophone (my baby)- Apollo
I think it also has to do with just particular taste in music. I own a MG10CD, just because it was the best amongst its $70 competition. Would I spend a lot of money on a big MG combo? Of course not. I've also been playing my guitars through a Mesa Boogie since 1998 or '99, so pretty much 90% of amps out there sound like crap to me just because I've gotten so adjusted to hearing the quality tones of an $1,800 amplifier for the last 7-8 years. I'm not trying to brag or anything...I'm just saying that when I go off on tirades about how all these amps sound like crap, that's the rationale behind it.
Hi, I'm Peter
I think there's less Squier bashing than Gibson bashing.

And there has been far too much Agile coksucking.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Well, Squiers are very inexpensive guitars you don't expect a whole lot from, or shouldn't. I personally don't bash Squiers. With Gibsons, on the other hand, the price is so inflated v. other guitar companies that any defect or shoddy workmanship is absolutely inexcusable. PRS American guitars are in the same price range as Gibson Les Pauls and you NEVER hear anyone complain about the fit and finish of PRS because they don't compromise their quality control standards. Even the quality of the construction of their lower-end, Korean-made guitars is quite good. If Gibson asks $2,000-7,000 for a Les Paul, any flaw at all from the factory speaks volumes about the commitment a company has to excellence.
Hi, I'm Peter
With the Squiers, look at Pedricko. He picked up a Squier Tele a few weeks ago and is working on modding it. I'm sure it will sound amazing when he finishes it.

As for me, I haven't tried many Squiers, so I don't really know how varied the quality is, but to me, if you get a guitar made with decent wood, there is always a chance that you can get one that's made with higher quality wood. Good pieces of "low grade" wood slip through all the time. I'm 100% positive that you can find a good sounding Squier if you look around for them and try a bunch.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
there havent been a ton of squier bash threads around lately, but thats just because no one asked about them.

if a kid starts a thread with... "i want to buy a squier" just sit back and watch.

three guys will tell him to set it on fire.

this is my squier tele project. rails top and bottom. alder wood, really nice tele twang, fun mod and under $300.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^Nice Tele Jenny!

That makes me want a Squier.

And yes, Squier bashing threads have subsided...for now.

I've noticed the past few days that there are a hell of a lot more Epiphone haters around though...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i couldnt get used to the color. and wanted to take apart a tele, so i stripped it.
the wood underneath looked great, and i love the feel of the natural neck.

its a nice guitar.

edit: thanks and yes, tons of epi haters. i think there was a "are epis really that bad?" thread this week too.
i thought that was so strange.
i guess these things come in waves.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by myvaliantleap

That's so true. It seems people take Ibanez/ESP and Metal for granted. I don't. Fender and Epiphone has always been my way to go; and it will stay that way until I can afford a Gibson

I once started a thread about me buying a new guitar, and I was looking at a Fender Telecaster (which I have bought by the way) and I clearly stated that I play progressive rock and a little bit of classic rock. And of course, who would appear but a metal head saying ''No! Telecaster pickups suck. But Ibanez' have never seased (sp?) to amaze me!'' Luckily though, there was a guy who told him about my musical taste; or as you may put it; told him AGAIN!
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Last edited by NineInchNails_0 at Jun 19, 2006,
my latest summer mod is going to be on my epi studio..

sorry for stock pic.

but im gonna route out another cavity in the back, to lighten it up for me.
(yeah, im a girl)

and im adding pearly gates and not sure, maybe a boutique pup, to it.
epi's rock and are so cheap now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah. That's how it is on UG. There's always a current favorite guitar that everyone recommends, and something that everyone bashes.

Currently it seems to be Ibanez guitars are the sh*t and Epiphones are garbage (and Gibsons are betterer )

It's how it is on UG. Last month it was the whole Agile fad. Everyone loved Agiles, and everyone hated Squiers. Now you don't hear much about either.

We should all put money in a pot and guess what next month's fad will be. Winner takes all.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
the problem is, most people compare guitars/amps and give opinions on them without ever playing or even seeing either. So what if you THINK Gibson are 'getting worse', if you haven't played THIS PARTICULAR MODEL, how can you say an Ibanez JEM OMGOMG blah blah is better than it (especially since you haven't played that JEM either?) but a lot of people do that and yeah it's stupid but oh well.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Page 1 of 2