Page 1 of 2
peavey 6505(+) Vs mesa rectofier

which is better for metal
between the buried and me, unearth, lamb of god

i dont care about the clean channel i wont use it)

i just want hardcore distortion
From there, I think its' mostly personal prefrence. They cna both pull off those types of bands, it's probably just which amp you like more now.
I think you would want a dual or triple rec. for that type of stuff. But that is just what I would use. I also see alot more bands use a dual and some a triple. Up to you though.
Mesa owns anything, it's the kind of amp you can buy and it will last your whole life if you're taking care of it, plus theyre handbuilt. Peavey's cant do what Mesa can do. I'd go for the Recto for sure
Quote by myvaliantleap
I think you would want a dual or triple rec. for that type of stuff. But that is just what I would use. I also see alot more bands use a dual and some a triple. Up to you though.

No, you wouldn't want a dual or triple, because you'll never be able to turn it up loud enough to make it sound good. Go for a single.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, you wouldn't want a dual or triple, because you'll never be able to turn it up loud enough to make it sound good. Go for a single.

This man probably knows more about mesa than me so listen to him. I was just saying what I see alot of the time for "hardcore" bands.
Quote by Archeo Avis

you dont get as many sound options with the Single like you do with the Dual or Triple...also if youre talking about the 6505/5150 that thing is 120watts all tube....sooo???
Quote by Metal/Guitarist
where is aan online site that sells mesa stuff

*double post. get over it*

Mesa doesnt deal over the internet.
Quote by myvaliantleap
This man probably knows more about mesa than me so listen to him. I was just saying what I see alot of the time for "hardcore" bands.

I dont have much experience with mesa itself. But in order to get a 150watt tube amp to sound good, you'd have to turn it up loud enough to kill all life within a 50 meter radius
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i would stay away from a triple recto, unless you are trying to kill children and small animals with the volume at 4
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

umm hellooo??? 150watts is NO LOUDER THEN 100watts!!!

yeah...it has a little more HEADROOM...but thats about it....and with that much gain in the pre-amp you will never need to push the amp to get a "good sound".
^ not supposed to. Mesa doesnt even deal them off their own site.

[edit] it may be different for some states...or countries....so maybe in Europe you can. But where I am the only way to get a Mesa online is through Ebay.
then my problems solved i will get the peavey cause my mom wont drive 3 hours to the nearest plase mesas are sold
Well dude, if you can get ahold of a Recto...DO IT. take a bus, cab, bike...anything if a Mesa is available to you. It will be worth it over a 6505.

But thats a situation where you HAVE to try them before you make a choice.
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
umm hellooo??? 150watts is NO LOUDER THEN 100watts!!!

yeah...it has a little more HEADROOM...but thats about it....and with that much gain in the pre-amp you will never need to push the amp to get a "good sound".

I know that And gain has nothing to do with it. Tubes gain a fuller, more harmonic sound when they're cranked that is pleasing to the ear.

In order make a 150 watt amp sound good you would have to crank it to a ridiculous volume. Please actually read my post next time. Besides, the rectifiers are mediocre amps anyway.
Quote by Archeo Avis
. In order make a 150 watt amp sound good you would have to crank it to a ridiculous volume.

thats too broad of a statement to be fact. it could be your OPINION, which is fine...as long as youre not like "dude no! what i said is the one and only truth. jesus is up there goin 'yeah, ya know he's right..that statement is 100% the truth because I, Jesus, said it is'."

A Triple Recto sounds fine at a low volume. And really, besides sound options, the Single, the Dual, and the Triple sound pretty much all the same. And just because its a tube amp dont mean it has to be kRanKt tWo 11zors!!!~!!!~ ONE~!~!~ to sound good.

[/end]
i feel its true that the only one thats decent at a practicing volume the single recto sound the best but at gigs the dual out performs the single..i thnk the triple its just insanity...you'll like...never need that muchs watts.....

im getting the 6505 over a mesa....i play Meldoic Deaht Metal...so yeah that says something about that amp
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by numbfinger
i feel its true that the only one thats decent at a practicing volume the single recto sound the best but at gigs the dual out performs the single..i thnk the triple its just insanity...you'll like...never need that muchs watts.....

im getting the 6505 over a mesa....i play Meldoic Deaht Metal...so yeah that says something about that amp

im getting that amp too - and i also play melodic death metal
its the amp of choice for In Flames (for bjorn) and they are one of the almighty gods of the genre.

also...the 6505 is still an awesome amp with a very dark sound and is about half the price of a recto.
THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL
Quote by metalheadsteve
im getting that amp too - and i also play melodic death metal
its the amp of choice for In Flames (for bjorn) and they are one of the almighty gods of the genre.

also...the 6505 is still an awesome amp with a very dark sound and is about half the price of a recto.

the tone in the 6505 just seems more..modern..the recto seems out dated
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Man do you guys know nothing about metal and amps. Get a mesa if you want a lamb of god sound, they use the Mark IV heads. If you want a sound like Himsa, Atreyu (they used Marshalls for their newest cd), God Forbid, In Flames, and almost every other Swedish Death Metal and metalcore band then get yourself a Peavey. I have a 5150 II and would not go back to a **** ass mesa. I had a single and no matter how i tweaked the knobs, it had to be loud as **** in order to get any kind of decent tone out of it. Plus the volume knobs sucked asshole and would not even make a difference until you put it up to 3-4. And I don't give me any **** about tubes being different in know sensitivity. The Mesa went from silent to loud with no middle ground. The peavey has much better sensitivity in the knobs. My 5150 II can be turned to 2-3 for the post and it still retains tone while the volume is gradual and not crappy like the mesa. The mesa sounded like **** when quiet. Either buy an old Mesa Dual from when they first started or don't buy one at all.

And my personal recommendation for a metalcore sound would be krank since God Forbid, Darkest Hour, Nevermore, Black Dahlia Murder, As I Lay Dying, and Between the Buried and Me now play them, as well as tons of others.

Get an early Dual Rectifier, a 5150 II (not the 6506+ even though it is the same, too mass produced now), or a Krank Revolution Series One.

Also for all you brand name ****asses, all Mesa Rectifiers and Peavey 5150s come from the factory with the same tube setup, 12AX7s in the preamp and 6L6s in the post. Same tubes, different circuit design.
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
And really, besides sound options, the Single, the Dual, and the Triple sound pretty much all the same.

Actually, the Single is pretty distinct from the Dual/Triple, it sounds more organic, better cleans too.
wow i never thought id ever see logical spam!!!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Mdragoon
Man do you guys know nothing about metal and amps. Get a mesa if you want a lamb of god sound, they use the Mark IV heads. If you want a sound like Himsa, Atreyu (they used Marshalls for their newest cd), God Forbid, In Flames, and almost every other Swedish Death Metal and metalcore band then get yourself a Peavey. I have a 5150 II and would not go back to a **** ass mesa. I had a single and no matter how i tweaked the knobs, it had to be loud as **** in order to get any kind of decent tone out of it. Plus the volume knobs sucked asshole and would not even make a difference until you put it up to 3-4. And I don't give me any **** about tubes being different in know sensitivity. The Mesa went from silent to loud with no middle ground. The peavey has much better sensitivity in the knobs. My 5150 II can be turned to 2-3 for the post and it still retains tone while the volume is gradual and not crappy like the mesa. The mesa sounded like **** when quiet. Either buy an old Mesa Dual from when they first started or don't buy one at all.

And my personal recommendation for a metalcore sound would be krank since God Forbid, Darkest Hour, Nevermore, Black Dahlia Murder, As I Lay Dying, and Between the Buried and Me now play them, as well as tons of others.

Get an early Dual Rectifier, a 5150 II (not the 6506+ even though it is the same, too mass produced now), or a Krank Revolution Series One.

Also for all you brand name ****asses, all Mesa Rectifiers and Peavey 5150s come from the factory with the same tube setup, 12AX7s in the preamp and 6L6s in the post. Same tubes, different circuit design.

Youre an asshole, and you probably dont deserve the amps you have.

Having said that, and stressing the fact you suck, youre wrong...and amazing right at the same time. It takes talent to pull that off.
[edit] and i mean all that in the nicest way possible.

Quote by El Codyo
Actually, the Single is pretty distinct from the Dual/Triple, it sounds more organic, better cleans too.

Isnt that because the Single only has tube rectification?
Last edited by Blinded0n1sidE at Jun 22, 2006,
No, the single only has silicon diode.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
peavey 5150/6505. all they way. it pwns rectos.

the peavey will sound great, tight, and agressive an any volume. mesa have to be cranked to get good refined metal tones. and they're not that good for gritty dirty agressive stuff. it goes from refined, to muddy. depending on the bass control.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^ true. the Recto is still an awesome amp for *normal* kinds of music at pretty much any volume. thats what i was trying to say. you sssuucckkk derek.
as long as youre not like "dude no! what i said is the one and only truth. jesus is up there goin 'yeah, ya know he's right..that statement is 100% the truth because I, Jesus, said it is'."

That's exactly what I'm saying.
Triple Rectifier at listenable volumes = Crap.
No opinion, fact. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ true. the Recto is still an awesome amp for *normal* kinds of music at pretty much any volume. thats what i was trying to say. you sssuucckkk derek.

meh, from my experience, mesa do a meh clean tone, good hard rock and metal tones.

5150 does a meh clean, good classic rock, and killer hard rock and metal.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ yeah it just depends what you want to do with the amp. Like I play rock-heavy rock..and the Recto sounded great at like 2 or 3
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ true. the Recto is still an awesome amp for *normal* kinds of music at pretty much any volume.

Define "Normal".
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
meh, it just dosen't get pissed off till the power tubes are going.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Page 1 of 2