I?ve been playing for a short time on an acoustic, but I really want to move to an electric.

Most here looking for first guitar recommendations seem to have limited budgets. Mine is not way over the top, but I really could spend up to US$1500 for the amp and guitar. I was looking at a Gibson Les Paul Studio and an 18W Spider II amp.

So ? my question is ? would you shell out that on a first guitar? If not, what would you spend?
well uhh i spent like 500 on my first amp and guitar and now im on a gibson sg special

most people kinda work theyre way up(which is pointless cause in reality ur actually spending more) but ya no, if u have enough money for it, u should fo for it (good choice in guitar but i would go w/ a marshall amp)
Quote by EvilMaxy
I shoved a crayola crayon up my ass.

Quote by Nelsean
I shoved my tesicals in a blender and masterbated.

superman's where its at....
Jesus pwns both
Well seeing as you're already familiar with the guitar, I'd say you should put up an amount for a decent guitar and amp. For a _DECENT_ electric and amp, you're looking at least at 4-5 hundred dollars.
Yeah, don't get a Spider II. Playing a Gibson through that is like sticking a lawnmower engine in a Ferrari.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
sounds cool, but I'd by an epi LP maybe, and then spend more on the amp. That way when you get better, you could trade up on guitars, and still have a good amp. But do whatever you want to do.
Well how much you spend on a first guitar depends on how much money you have and how much of it your willing to spend. Now if you don't think you will stick to guitar I wouldn't recommend sepending that much but if you know you will keep playing for a long time then spend all the money you want. The better the gear the easier it is to practice and also you'll get less frustrated. This will therefore help you improve faster. However I would spend less on the guitar and more on the amp.

Hope I was able to help.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i'd vote schecter for a first guitar, you can get a great one for under 600 and they have a balls-to-the-wall sound. i got a schecter 5 years ago and i still use it without a problem even on stage
I think you should rent a guitar, and make sure that you're really into it and you're not just gonna play for a while then give up later. Meanwhile you save up your money and get an even better guitar and a cube 30.
check out the switch wild I. its $150 off of musiciansfriend and i havnt read a bad review on it. all of the reviews said its a very good deal. although i have never played one, i may get one just to see how it is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Switch-Vibracell-Wild-One-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=513460
the downfall of UG...........

Quote by obey_yourmaster
Who the heck is Ronnie James Dio? I vote Bruce
!

Gibson sounds like a nice road, but(this may just be me) I don't think Gibson studios are worth the name that's stamped on the headstock. They're expensive, sure, but not the quality of a standard.

You should probably spend most of your money on a great amp and get a decent guitar. Unless you really wanted a Gibson(in which case, consider an SG standard) I'd get something like a mid-end to higher end Schecter(pretty sweet guitars, right there) or a Fender.

Epiphones are worth looking at if you want something like a Les Paul Custom. Not comparable to a Gibson, but it would sound a hell of a lot better on a Mesa/Boogie than a Gibson would sound on a tiny Spider II.

Edit: I agree with mtl, also. Renting some gear wouldn't be a bad idea, and would cost less if you decide you aren't into it.

And on a different subject, that Switch guitar looks like a piece of ****. One pickup, and no reviews. Just a bunch of mediocre ratings. They don't even say the value's that good. I'd avoid that one at all costs. Epi Les Paul Special IIs are the same price, and are fine starters.(What I started on after trying a lot of stuff)
Last edited by Fargalas at Jun 19, 2006,
Quote by rps13fanatic
sounds cool, but I'd by an epi LP maybe, and then spend more on the amp. That way when you get better, you could trade up on guitars, and still have a good amp. But do whatever you want to do.

Definetly balance between a guitar and the amp.
Quote by silvadolla
No offense dude, but that thing looks ugly

Then again some ppl call LP's ugly lol
just get another amp instead of the spider.

you're one lucky man to have that as your first set-up/electric guitar.
Quote by silvadolla
No offense dude, but that thing looks ugly

i think that its so ugly, that its kickass. it will turn heads without a doubt
the downfall of UG...........

Quote by obey_yourmaster
Who the heck is Ronnie James Dio? I vote Bruce
!

stick with the spider, the tone is really versatile if you can use them right, but i have to say i would prefer a PRS single cut than a les paul because their over rated and like the person before me said they're simple, I have to agree but so ae the people who pay like 3000 for one its retarded
Fear my squirrelly wrath!

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
If I was you I would get a...
Hughes and Kettner 20th anniv all tube combo for the amp
MIM Fender Strat with locking tuners and upgraded pickups (I'd get some SD mojo single coils but it depends on the style of music you want to play)
But since it seems like you want a Les Paul shaped guitar, look at Epiphone Customs or Elitists.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
the gibson company is too over rated i mean ok they make guitars that are used by celebrities but so bloody what they're not worth the cash
Fear my squirrelly wrath!

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
as a lot of people have said before me, I suggest you spend more on a good amp than on a good guitar. A 1000 dollar guitar through a 100 dollar amp will give a 100 dollar tone, and viceversa. and also if you are shure that you´ll stick to guitar playing then spend as much as you want but it really pisses me off that I have friends with high-end Gibsons and Fenders and GREAT amps and they don't play (well they can only get a few nirvana riffs and smoke on the water and stuff like that), they just bought it for show but if you are not like them (which i think your not), then spend away, good look man
Thanks everyone. I hadn't given as much thought to the amp. Great advice. I've played the Gibson LP Studio in the store and fell in love. So, I think I'll save up a bit longer and get a better amp. Do them both justice.
Spend as little as possible.

When that one sings, then you can upgrade.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Usually when buying things like guitars, paintball guns, used computer parts, I try to stay away from ebay, sometimes you get a great deal, and others u get what u pay for. But i found a great deal on an Ibanez RG320 DX, I got it with shipping for 165$. My dad, surprisingly, wanted me to get a bit higher end guitar, then some cheap behringer pack. He wanted me to get something that would uphold a while.

So I got it as an early christmas present on ebay, and I love it. Sadly I got a cheap Fender Frontman on ebay for 20$. Since then, ive mad 700$ from graduation and I was gonna buy a new amp. But with my small dorm room, and plenty of people around, theres no point in getting a higher quality amp when I do have my amp on, its barely audible, lol
Yeah, with ebay you dont REALLY know what you are gonna get.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP