I searched around and couldnt find anytihng to do with changing the nut on a 12 string so I thought Id start a topic. Is there any procedure you swear by for changing nuts? if so tell me.

I have an epiphone 12 string, and the bumps between the 2 strings on 2 sets are broken off so the strings touch and I wanna change it but theres a layer of gloss covering it. How do I cut through the gloss and stuff? Any help, well... helps.
If you don't want to hurt the finish around he nut you can mask off the are round it, heat up a knife and slide it under the nut, the heat will make the glue come unstuck or you can tap it from the fretboard side with a small chisel/screwdriver and it should pop off. Where are you getting the new nut from?
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
probably better off having one custom filed.....it'll cost a bit more, but a bone nut and specific filing will be better in general

i dont know how the finish would do with this method, but every nut ive taken off ive done with a small chisle butted up against the nut and one swift blow from a soft faced hammer brings em right out
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Quote by givemeaname
If you don't want to hurt the finish around he nut you can mask off the are round it, heat up a knife and slide it under the nut, the heat will make the glue come unstuck or you can tap it from the fretboard side with a small chisel/screwdriver and it should pop off. Where are you getting the new nut from?

ive got a guitar store right down the road, and insides a pretty good luthier, hes got any part i could ever want.

Ok, i got some pics now...

theyre pretty big cuz u want u to be able to see it better, so just click the links.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/loquito5765/100_0291.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/loquito5765/100_0290.jpg
Last edited by absinthe5765 at Jun 19, 2006,
I always just cut the seam between the fretboard and the nut; and then hit it on the side.
Quote by mr_hankey
I always just cut the seam between the fretboard and the nut; and then hit it on the side.

That sounds easy enough. Im only worried because this guitar is over 30 years old (36 to be exact) and its not mine. Im just fixing it for a friend and was pondering the expense (to the guitar) to change the nut.
Since it's an older guitar, I'd say get a pro to look at it before taking any action.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!