With my MIM Strat the neck pickup gave a dead on Frusciante/Californication sound but now with the American Series Strat it's a bit trebly/harsh in the neck. I've read that AmSe Strats have more new-style pickups than vintage style tone to them.. is this why? What should I do?
x2. Or just re-EQ your amp. Or get an EQ pedal to put in your FX loop. I personally don't like the stock American Series (formerly American Standard) Strat pickups, either. If you want something warmer, Texas Specials. More vintage sounding, Vintage Noiseless or the 50s or 60s Strat pickups.
Hi, I'm Peter
Would it be better to go for a new set of Fenders, or mix and match with a different brand like Dimarzio?
Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Just personal preference. If you get a matched set, you're going to get more balanced across the board tonal response and volume. If you mix and match, you might be able to get more versatility, but I've tried that on Strats and was disappointed. If you're willing to spend more on pickups (like $240), check out www.sdpickups.com. He does a lot for your money and his replacement policy is top notch.
Hi, I'm Peter
Dirk knows what he is talking about. I emailed Dave at SD and he replied right away and even sent me some sound clips and whatnot. He even helped explain things like the difference larger gauge wires make and DC resistance levels. His service is top notch and from what I've heard, his product is too.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I think Fender pickups would give you a more genuine Strat sound, whereas other brands can offer interesting variations such as single-sized humbuckers and stacked singles.

But I would give it some time and try to get a better feel for the American pickups. If your neck is too trebly, play around with your tone knob and see if you can mellow it out a bit.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

I don't want to sound noobish but what do MIA and MIM stand for? Not a big Fender freak obviously...hehe...I know its not "Missing in Action"
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Made in America or Made in Mexico

anyway I SHOULD assume that these are good quality PUs just with their 'own' sound right?
^Look for some '57/'62 Fender pickups, apparently they're amazing for Frusciante tones
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
have you seen em anywhere?

It's always hard picking out stuff because I want a multitude of tones

I don't know if it's just a matter of playing around with the knobs.
I feel funny not having them all on 10 but we'll see
Yea, there's some on www.gak.co.uk, and eBay too.

But you might aswell give your pickups at the mo a good run and see if you can get the sounds you want.
Don't be afraid to care"

just turn the trebal down on ur amp or turn the tone knob down
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by R_H_C_P
Yea, there's some on www.gak.co.uk, and eBay too.

But you might aswell give your pickups at the mo a good run and see if you can get the sounds you want.

Or if you're not British, try www.musiciansfriend.com. They carry a pretty good selection of Fender pickups. A full set will run you probably $130-140.
Hi, I'm Peter
first i would try raising the bass side of that neck pickup. lowering the treble side.

if i still hated it i would swap it out for a dimarzio or a lace.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^Hey, you think that'd slightly solve the problem of a weaker-than-the-rest-of-the-strings sounding E string when I use my neck pickup? Or would the pole piece need to be adjusted?
Don't be afraid to care"

if uve got adjustable poles then thats more exact.

but in a strat, u tilt it. it should make a difference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I don't think you can adjust Strat pole pieces. They're usually fixed and staggered.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by R_H_C_P
^Hey, you think that'd slightly solve the problem of a weaker-than-the-rest-of-the-strings sounding E string when I use my neck pickup? Or would the pole piece need to be adjusted?

The only way to adjust those polepieces is to push them down, which has been successfully done by some, but will most likely break some windings.
if works its a good way. ^ if it breaks thats not a good way.

yeah, staggard is a pain. but if ur low E is weak then tilt up that side.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Check out Lindy Fralin pickups: http://www.fralinpickups.com/

They're expensive but, imo, worth it.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
I'll do that, thanks for the advice!
And pushing the peice down would just make it sound weaker, but I know what you mean Hankey.
Don't be afraid to care"