I have a friend with a JCM 2000, but i dont remember if its a DSL or a TSL, whats the difference?

He just ordered a 6505 so he might want to sell it. Are these good amps? Would it sound sweet for metal with a OD9 in front of it?
The difference is that the TSL has an extra channel and more gain.

And yea, they're good amps for metal, try one out with an overdrive.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
The difference is that the TSL has an extra channel and more gain.

And yea, they're good amps for metal, try one out with an overdrive.

He just retubed it, and its in good condition, what kinda price should i pay for it?

I looked on ebay and they seem about 800, that right?
Yea, offer him around 800, but try and get him to 700.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Yea, offer him around 800, but try and get him to 700.

He was thinking 1000, but i hadnt checked ebay. Ill talk to him tomorrow. Can you explain the difference between the 800, 900 and 2000? I really dont know anything about Marshalls. Will the tone be bright or dark?
The 800 is generally more vintage sounding, more "classic" Marshall sounding, usually single channel so need to be cranked.
The 900 is more modern sounding with more gain, but get get that vintage Marshall tone, and apparently people can get great 800 sounds out of it.
The JCM2000s are more modern amps, but still very "Marshall" too.
Don't be afraid to care"

The JCM 800, 900, and 2000 all sound very individual, yet they all sound kind of alike, the 900 is more 90's, and the 2000 is more modern. I think that Marshall's are kind of in the middle of the Dark/Bright spectrum, don't quote me on that though.
Quote by El Codyo
The JCM 800, 900, and 2000 all sound very individual, yet they all sound kind of alike, the 900 is more 90's, and the 2000 is more modern. I think that Marshall's are kind of in the middle of the Dark/Bright spectrum, don't quote me on that though.

So could i get super brutal tones like The Acacia Strain, Job For a Cowboy, or Cattle Decapitation on the 2000?

BTW: I also happen to be a part of the xXx family. BBP
all Marshalls have a really middy sound. Mainly higher mids, nice upper highs, and a smooth low end.

a JCM900 is smack dab in the middle of the 800 and the 2000...its does it all with ease.

Anyways, a Marshall JCM tone is neither bright, or dark...but as I said...really 'middy'. So right in between.
Quote by TheFluffy
So could i get super brutal tones like The Acacia Strain, Job For a Cowboy, or Cattle Decapitation on the 2000?

BTW: I also happen to be a part of the xXx family. BBP

I have seen JFAC live using TSL halfstacks.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7Z5C9Ui3g

Audio is horrible, but you can see that one of the halfstacks is a TSL.
I actually prefer the DSL (Trivium sound) that is just a prefrence.
Well, marshalls surely arent high gain amps (at least i dnt think).. You'd have to go for something like an ENGL for that (like me, lol :p.. But Ive played a TSL60 combo in a store and it did indeed have quite a bit of gain, not sure if it would comply with you "super brutal tones", but if it doesnt have enough gain for you, you could always slap an OD pedal in front, ibanez tubescreamer for example, and that would do the job..
Quote by svanzon
Well, marshalls surely arent high gain amps (at least i dnt think).. You'd have to go for something like an ENGL for that (like me, lol :p.. But Ive played a TSL60 combo in a store and it did indeed have quite a bit of gain, not sure if it would comply with you "super brutal tones", but if it doesnt have enough gain for you, you could always slap an OD pedal in front, ibanez tubescreamer for example, and that would do the job..

Get off the ENGL boner.

The only reason im looking at this is because my friend is selling one. A ENGL would cost to much. It would not be possilbe to get JFAC tones because they are super bright. Learn the amps, dont just recommend something because the mods recomment it.
Quote by chase312
I have seen JFAC live using TSL halfstacks.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7Z5C9Ui3g

Audio is horrible, but you can see that one of the halfstacks is a TSL.
I actually prefer the DSL (Trivium sound) that is just a prefrence.

Thanks for that, ive been trying to find a video with their amps in it. The tsl and dsl actually sound different? i though it was just number of channels
Last edited by TheFluffy at Jun 19, 2006,
Ok, so he wants to trade his JCM 2000 with new tubes put in it like 2 days ago, for my XXX and 200 bucks. Sound fair?