For an intermediate player what should i play? nothing too advanced i can play some simple metallica such as fade to black the intro and verse with it's arpeggios.
I also play some guns 'n' roses but i dont know what other bands i should play from which can increase my technique, i play mostly offspirng and they are very simple to master they are all just basically powerchords.
So yeah what should i play? Remember nothing to advanced
thats how you get better is by going way over your head try and play somthing rediculisly out of your league and just work on a hard part slowly till you have it perfect and then your technique will get better orrrrr you could just devote some time to practicing spacific **** would prolly give you better results
Try some technique exercises. Sometimes they're called speed exercises. Execute them slowly and clean, with no mistakes. Practice with a metronome. If you can do it flawless at a speed, turn it up by 10 bpm and go for it again.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Play loads of different styles, try classical or jazz or something compleatly different. A good introduction to classical guitar for a metallica fan is 'Nothing Else Matters'.
Also, learn the blues scale or something and learn to play lead guitar.
sometimes making up exercises of your own can help your playing quite dramatically. as you develop as a guitarist, usually you will begin to identify little patterns/licks that naturally feel good to you. practice these with a metronome, gradually increasing. also, learn scales like the major/minor shapes, pentatonic, etc. with a metronome, practice something till you can play it cleanly and fluently. increase the speed by about 5 bpm and continue. it'll help your guitar playing a helluva lot.

and, seeing as you're a metallica fan (good man ) then there's a good incentive to practice songs because the rewards will be all the more greater. songs from Black - Reload era are great for intermediates.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Last edited by les_paul_01 at Jun 19, 2006,
wow damn thanks for the link. another few things to add to practice regime
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Go through "Far Beyond the Sun" by Malmsteen, its frikin hard, but it will improve your speed and accuracy playing scales. But only get it on Guitar Pro because it has an IN-BUILT SPEED TRAINER which is fabulous proving how much better it is than Power Tab.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Go through "Far Beyond the Sun" by Malmsteen, its frikin hard, but it will improve your speed and accuracy playing scales. But only get it on Guitar Pro because it has an IN-BUILT SPEED TRAINER which is fabulous proving how much better it is than Power Tab.

Powertab isn't $60.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Powertab isn't $60.

Thats true, but whats happened with me is that the time evaluation period has expired, but I can still use it whenever.

So I dont have to pay.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Thats true, but whats happened with me is that the time evaluation period has expired, but I can still use it whenever.

So I dont have to pay.

Same here, but I find it annoying and harder to use than PT.
I don't agree with a number of these replies.

"increasing your technique" as you put it, is FAR less about what you practice, than
how you practice.

You'd be much better off getting a simple scale perfect with no excess movement
or tension than you would by bashing your head against something "riduclously
hard". You'll never be able to play the hard thing right because your mind and
body have not been trained on the more basic stuff.

By going "deep" into the simple things you train your mind, fingers, focus and
awareness. Then you'll be in a better position to learn harder stuff.
edg is exactly right.

the real way to get really good at guitar, is to play it really slowly and accurately.

EDIT: or sell your soul to satan
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly