probably the 19th time I've mentioned it tonight but I got an AmSe Strat tonight, new, but it has a big ding in the back where the paint is checked/cracked and the rest of the finish has hairline scratches.. Is it silly being upset about all these things because you can strip the paint off and refinish? Can you refinish a guitar like a Strat with the exact same paint and top coat that goes on it?
Some people happen to like a guitar that looks like its seen some play time. Personally I think its silly to keep it in pristine condition cause the only way it will stay that way is if you never play it. If you are considering to oneday refinish it then that eats alot of its resale value anyways so I wouldn't worry about a few scratches.
why worry about a few small scratches? As long as it still sounds good and there is no major damage a few small scratches just add character to a guitar.
Take it back.

But to me, the scratches and dings on my guitars are like little love bites.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
scratches & dings are battle scars and it wont hurt your tone but a marginal difference and its not like its going to fall apart heck ive got a huge hairline crack where the neck meets the body on my set-neck guitar
dents and scratches add character to the guitar imo i wouldnt do it on purpose mind you lol
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
take it back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If it's new, and it has a scratch, then you are perfectly within your rights to take it back and get a new, unscratched one.

Did you pay full retail for the scratched one?

^ Because they sold you a guitar with a ding in it... Do you have any common sense what so ever? I've looked through your posts and you seem like a complete dud.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
^ Because they sold you a guitar with a ding in it... Do you have any common sense what so ever? I've looked through your posts and you seem like a complete dud.

stalker

Um if you looked through the posts you would have seen that I knew about the ding and got $20 off for the ding.. bringing the grand total to just $800.. I thought that was pretty good for a new American
^ How i am a stalker, ive looked through threads and seen your posts and read them. This IS a public forum you know.... 20$? That wont even get you a decent strap.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
amazing. i dont know what to tell u. u said u got it new. i also didnt see that it was a floor model.

but i doubt i would have settled for $20 off if i hated the dent.

u can still return it. i guess or spend $20 on scratch X to fix it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

if they are small fill it in with nail varnish. add a few coats into the scratches and build it up to fill them.. if you know what i mean
im still snoring loudly
Member #13 of the "yes I'm Irish , no more leprechaun jokes please" club. Member #3 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chilli Peppers UG fanclub
Member of the Congregation of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
Quote by mf2hd
if they are small fill it in with nail varnish. add a few coats into the scratches and build it up to fill them.. if you know what i mean

it'd be less obvious to just leave the scratches there
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
To be honest, it doesn't matter if it's a good price; you could've busted their balls to give you more off.

Eh I didn't want to be a dick though.. I already made them cancel a previous order

I think I made out fine
Well, if you're happy, then that's fine.

But it's not so easy to patch up an existing finish sometimes... Really depends.

yeah and 800 seems good, so just enjoy it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

they only gave you $20 off for a scratch? why not throw in a cable or an assload of picks.

But you should return it, or live with it.
^ I don't know what your local guitar shops are like, but I find that music store salespeople and mangers are stingy assholes who never want to give any discounts. They never discount more than $20 for finish damage and if you ask them to discount more, they say no. Also, they never "throw" anything in for free. You'd be lucky if they gave you a free strap after buying a Gibson Les Paul. At least that's the way music stores are around here, in Ontario.

Back on topic. If it bothers you, just take it back and ask them to exchange it. You'll be glad you did.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jun 19, 2006,
Quote by Armored Artist
^ I don't know what your local guitar shops are like, but I find that music store salespeople and mangers are stingy assholes who never want to give any discounts. They never discount more than $20 for finish damage and if you ask them to discount more, they say no. Also, they never "throw" anything in for free. You'd be lucky if they gave you a free strap after buying a Gibson Les Paul. At least that's the way music stores are around here, in Ontario.

Back on topic. If it bothers you, just take it back and ask them to exchange it. You'll be glad you did.

SO DAMN TRUE DUDE!
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
I really don't think it's all that bad
it's kinda like heh... the vintage collectors PAY for their guitar to come all scratched/checked up..

It plays and feels like a dream though.. has a great color..