hey guys im a huge metalhead but i have recently been listening to some blues.so anyway i heard lenny by SRV and the emotion in that song really got to me so i know its time for me to venture into playing some blues.i have a mim strat and i have been looking at the fender blues jr.i have other amps for metal so this would be a blues amp only,and im not in a band i just want it for the bedroom.and i really like the SRV tone so does this sound like the right amp for me?what kind of tone does it have when cranked? also if anyone could recommend some blues musicians.so far i like SRV,Robert Cray,John Lee Hooker and BB King.any answers will be appreciated.thanks in advance
tight on money?

Vox valvetronix series

Got cash to burn?

Fender vibroverb

Middle point?

Fender Blues Junior
^He already said he's been looking into the Blues Junior.

I'd say go for it. From what I've hear you can get some sparkling cleans with blues out of it.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

since it's just for home play stick with the blues jr. they have a pretty nice tone for blues and are pretty cheap. Oh and rock on with the blues.... SRV ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
How about a Laney L15R, Fender Blues Jr or one of those new Epi tube models? All have great clean/crunch tones for blues from what i hear, i have the LC15R and i love it, wouldnt change it for anything else in the price range
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
SRV's tone mainly somes from his hand. A good tube amp will help, but you'll ant heavy strings (at least .011's) and try backing down your guitars volume and hitting the strings as hard as you can. (You might need to raise your action.)

A Blues Junior will get a good clean tone, though you may want a larger amp like a Deville or a Deluxe if you want to play with a band.

More blues: Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy. For some more modern kinda stuff John Mayer and Eric Johnson is good too, but not all of thier music.

Have fun, and remember, blues tone is in your hands.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
last year i bought a blues junior. its got great cleans, overdrives nicely.
(i also picked up a tube screamer, a dd6 delay, and a distortion pedal)

i Love that amp, but when im not playing out of the house i use my $99 tube, epi valve jr. head. that i wired up to the back of a 50W mg combo.

its got a deep, tube sound, thats easier to overdrive and isnt too loud for bedrooom practice.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks for all the replies guys.ill definatly check out all the options.the only thing i was worried about was that the blues jr would be too small,would the blues deluxe be a better option for playing at home?what is the tonal differances?and its true that his tone was in his hands.but i was just wanting a similar sound that he had in lenny to get me started.and i dont have the deepest pockets but i could save up the extra money for the deluxe if it would be a better option.thanks again for all the replies
SRV also used a Tubescreamer for his overdrives. And if you're just playing at home, the smaller tube amp would probably be better. If you're going to start gigging at smokey blues clubs soon, then get the Deluxe. Otherwise, the Jr. should be enough.
Hi, I'm Peter
i'd go with a fender blues jr. i own one and when pared with the neck pick up on a strat...

*GUITARGASM*

ohhh the tone. it's perfect for blues.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
i keep getting the feeling u think the blues jr is small or not going to be loud enough for room use.
just the opposite is true.
tube amps work best when cranked and unless ur home alone alot ull be hard pressed to get that amp over 3 volume wise.

just letting u know.

tone wise its great tho. ^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by TGM
SRV's tone mainly somes from his hand.
Have fun, and remember, blues tone is in your hands.

I hate these statements. You can't get a good blues tone with a $95 SS Crate Practice Modeling Beginner Amp, no matter how great your 'hands' are.

There are crappy guitar players who sound great with:

The Fender Bassman
Blues Deluxe
Blues Deville

pair that with a tube screamer, heavy strings tuned low, etc.

Thats how you get great tone. How you USE it is in your hands. Not how you create it.
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
Quote by gpderek09
i'd go with a fender blues jr. i own one and when pared with the neck pick up on a strat...

*GUITARGASM*

ohhh the tone. it's perfect for blues.

Right on

I've got one too, I love mine, it's great for blues, twang, anything that's not really high gain.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Get a peavey classic 30... it's got a really warm sound and has a fantastic bluesy overdrive. I've tried both and the peavey pwns the blues junior. Trust me on this one... try out the classic 30!!
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

JJ1565 said:
i keep getting the feeling u think the blues jr is small or not going to be loud enough for room use.
just the opposite is true.
tube amps work best when cranked and unless ur home alone alot ull be hard pressed to get that amp over 3 volume wise.

just letting u know.

tone wise its great tho. ^

If you use headphones you still get the good tube sound yes?

also, would others agree that the peavey classic 30 is better than the blues junior??
no headphone. no outputs.

and the classic 30 doesnt have as good cleans, is bigger and even harder to overdrive in a bedroom.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Diggs
JJ1565 said:

If you use headphones you still get the good tube sound yes?

also, would others agree that the peavey classic 30 is better than the blues junior??

Thats a good question. I really like Peavey alot. But better than those Fenders?.... That might be a stretch.
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
Quote by Habukkuk
I hate these statements. You can't get a good blues tone with a $95 SS Crate Practice Modeling Beginner Amp, no matter how great your 'hands' are.

Actually, I have heard someone get great tones playing a squier through a cheap begginner amp. He's an awsome guitarist, and he can just about anything sound good.

Your sound may come from your gear, but tone stays with you no matter what your playing through.

Anyway, that's off topic.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
thanks to everyone who replied.i have more choices to look at now.i just always thought fender was the end all be all of the blues amps.so i will be looking into the other amps.
^The cleans aren't as good by far to me, but the overdrive channel is quite nice when cranked.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ well it gets my dream clean/OD sound. like on santeria by sublime.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
My JCM900 pwns for blues (clean channel, gain on 10), but i play more of the british hard blues (like Zep and Cream), but for american blues i think a Blues Jr will be amazing (especially with a Maxon OD-9).

If yore getting into blues listen to some Robert Johnson, Clapton, Cream and Joe Bonamassa.

Also on the Classic 30 vs. Blues Jr: Blues Jr's cleans are amazing, very sparkly and so on, while Classic 30 doesn't have as good cleans. The overdrive is more Marshally on the Classic 30, but the Blues Jr. has easier to get power amp overdrive.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Jun 20, 2006,
well, fender does very well for blues in the price range (under 800 dollars mostly)

but there are so many amp makers that make beautiful (and expensive) amps it would make your head spin

ie, my favorite is Matchless (but unless you've got 3 grand to burn and it price doesn't make a difference, maybe not the best choice)
-Mike
i use my fender hot rod deluxe for blues tones, and its killer. SRV is my biggest influence blues wise and the amp deffintly helps get the sound out. The amp paired with really heavy strings and picking gets the tone out.