In my search for the perfect boutique amp, I have found several good candidates, including: Engl Powerball, Bogner Uberschall, Framus Cobra, Soldano SLO-100, and a Dual Rectifer. I'm also considering a Mark IV. I was wondering, how similar are the Dual Recto and Mark IV? How dark is the Mk. IV compared to the Dual? How tight is it? are the cleans better than the Dual's?

I know that there is a huge price difference in my list, but I don't want to compromise when buying this amp. So does anyone who has a Mk IV or has heard some clips answer those questions? Thanks.

(BTW, I'm playing alot of metalcore, LOG'ish stuff.)
from my knowledge i wouldnt say the Mark IV is a darkly voiced as like a dual recto, i'd prob say its more versatile but not so much on the metal sounding genre of amps......this is purely from what ive picked up round here so dont hold me to it
It all depends on your style and position actually

For rib crushing ribs = Recto
Classic/Shred/Virtuosic lead = Soldano SLO 100
For all kinds of high gain "knob to 11" **** = Uberschall and Cobra (these amps have more gain than any person should have)
For a large munch of each style and playablitiy = Mark IV or..... Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MK II (Versatility without the 92 knobs and switches)

Anyways, I recommend buying a pre/poweramp splitted into a rack
Cuz, you can get both the SLO-100 and the Recto and the Mark IV, all three of the sounds by using a Mesa Boogie TriAxis preamp,

The Soldano lead is just a wee-bit gainier than the Mk II channel in the TriAxis.....

As for power amps, for true versatility in quality and total kick-assery, i recommend the Mesa Simulclass 2:90 which has a TriAxis line in built in.

But, poweramps such as Marshalls, VHT 292s, or even a Mesa Rectifier 2:100 would do.......

And if you hate pre/poweramps, there's always an ENGL SE, HK TriAmp, Diezel VH4..... all for at least 3 grand.......... heheh, price tags sucks !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by El Codyo
In my search for the perfect boutique amp, I have found several good candidates, including: Engl Powerball, Bogner Uberschall, Framus Cobra, Soldano SLO-100, and a Dual Rectifer. I'm also considering a Mark IV. I was wondering, how similar are the Dual Recto and Mark IV? How dark is the Mk. IV compared to the Dual? How tight is it? are the cleans better than the Dual's?

I know that there is a huge price difference in my list, but I don't want to compromise when buying this amp. So does anyone who has a Mk IV or has heard some clips answer those questions? Thanks.

(BTW, I'm playing alot of metalcore, LOG'ish stuff.)

The cleans are much better than the Dual Rectos, but the Mark IV isn't really a "metal" amp, per se. It's much more a jack of all trades. I get really great blues tones and lively cleans with mine. The distortions are much more of a hard rock Zeppelin, AC/DC kind of texture rather than the tight, smooth (and I think a bit characterless) distortions that are favored by a lot of metal players, although you could probably get authentic tones by using the graphic EQ. Erock plays metal and loves his Mark IV, especially running through an attenuator. I think the Mark IV is a better amp than the Dual Recto, but not for the genres you're playing. If you want to hear some general sound clips of a Mark IV (played in a blues style -- sorry, I don't do metal) you can click on my dmusic link below.
Hi, I'm Peter
yeah, like Dirk says, I have a Mark IV too, and I love it. A nice tight and agressive gain, with a lot of versatility. I was using an attenuator, but I found I could get away with the 30W setting and it still sounds great. I don't think you'll have a problem with LOG'ish stuff. http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2004/Sept04/ArtistsSpotlight-LambofGod.htm
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
mark morton uses a mark IV.

it's voiced dark but it has a graphic eq so you can make it brighter if you wish. the thing, like already said, is extremely versitle.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
it will do classic rock ok, it's got a good crunch channel. Their Dragon might be better for classic rock tones though. The Cobra is a hot rodded version of the Dragon, which is also supposed to be a very good rock/metal amp. The cleans are what surprised me the most about the Cobra, since it's pretty well known for metal. I'll sometimes use an AC Booster or TS808 on the clean channel to get some convincing blues tones.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
The Mark IV is a very versatile amp and it can do metal. Old Metallica and Dream Theater stuff used a Mesa MK IIC+ I believe. The Mk IV, I think, just has extra channels. The cleans on the IV are very nice. The amp isn't really dark or brightly voiced. There is a Pull Bright switch/button on the back of the amp which you can fiddle with. Also, having the channel volume greater than the master volume adds a little darkness to the sound.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I don't think the way the Cobra's voiced would give you a very nice classic rock sound.

Just a little heads up on the MKIV (I've never owned one before but I've played them a lot and heard a lot of clips); you will have to spend a lot of time dialing in the tones you like. It's not a plug and play sort of amp. According to MK's manual, there are certain spots on the knobs where the mark sounds best. And from my experience, it is very easy to get a mediocre tone (not nessiccarily bad because the MKIV is already really good sounding in itself). But I've tried many of the settings on Grailtone and a lot of them sound very very nice.

Another peeve you may have is switching. For a live situation, the MKIV might not do what you want it too. The lead channel is the only channel with enough gain to be able to give you the sound you wanna play (LoG). So if you switch to rhythm 2, you will not have enough gain on tap for rhythm.

And on a side note, there might not also be enough gain on the lead channel sometimes. It's definately a lot of gain, but the Rectifier is more. You'll definately have enough gain for LoG as they play MKIV but for more extreme stuff like Cryptopsy you probably will need a boost.

Also, I think the other channels on the MKIV are superb. The MKIV will give you a way better classic rock sound. Clean isn't fender, but it is usuable.

EDIT: I don't feel that the MKIV is darkly voiced at all. It is more darker then the Recto , for sure, but not enough to be considered dark. And really, it depends on the cabinet.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by MetalToTheEnd at Jun 19, 2006,
I have owned two Mark IV combos - bought the first in in '92 and the second one in '01. They do everything from very bright to very dark extremely well. It is an amp that has never let me down and always sounded great.
Lava Man

Your One Stop High-End Custom Cable Shop