Hey guys,

Just a quick one..am i the only person who finds the official GNR tab pretty f*ckin' hard?!! We all know what a legend Slash is and how awesomely talented he is, but i just wanna know..when you read a tab for a kickass song and its not easy by any means, what approach works the best for you? Breaking the tab down bit by bit, or learning by ear, or both? I sometimes find that learning by ear can be a little misleading, especially something as complex as a Slash solo. Any thoughts?
the best thing you can do is sit down with the tab and the song and just break it down part by part
you do have to stay there till you get it right
else when you got one lick right you'll start improvising and we dont want that now, do we
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
try practising with a guitar pro, then you can make sure playing the right things a a slower speed
1st, i try to do it on my own, searching for the root key (easier if you know which key its in), then when i find it i look at the tabs. Of course you have to play by ear too, if not there's no melodic sense of it. Its also good to practice while hearing that certain part of the song in the tab, be it mp3 or cd-player. If that fails, i'll resort to Guitar Pro tab or Power Tab.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i personally don't like guitar pro, i find i can't concentrate as well while watching a screen.

i just print out the tab and get out my ipod or cd player
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
What are Slash's preferred scales? I supose it helps to know your theory inside out first :-)
Quote by Cocnut Rag
i personally don't like guitar pro, i find i can't concentrate as well while watching a screen.

i just print out the tab and get out my ipod or cd player

That works good for me too. Helps you learn songs easy.
Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. See ive been playing nothing but acoustic up until now and im finding electric a whole other ball game!! Im enjoying it though
Quote by whatshisname
What are Slash's preferred scales? I supose it helps to know your theory inside out first :-)

Mostly pentatonics and blues scales with some cromatic notes added here and there.
if your having trouble learning from a tab...break it down into sections of four notes...makes it a lot easier to digest what you are playing...

but if you can, try to learn it by ear...

slash mostly uses natural minor and harmonic minor as some body already stated, but he also uses quite a few chromatics in some places (like the paradise city solo) which can make it tricky to learn by ear