Do the box petantonic scales work in tunings like Drop D and such? also any tips on how to merge them into solos? thanks.
well yes but then you play it as usual then the low E will play G A# insteed of A C

if you then continue with the usual pattern down it will screw up... I think :P its not a good idea I think...
Just going up and down on the pentatonic over a respective chord sounds decent enough. Tom Morello does it a bit and alot of Metallica riffs are based around the pentatonic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
no, if you have drop D tuning you'll need to move all usual notes played in the pentatonic of a particualr note up 2 frets. Blending to solos? solo's come LICKS, which come from scales... wright some licks utilizing the scale...
you have to learn how to make a melody out of a certain scale that will be interesting to listen to. sometimes just going up and down can be adequate, though eventually it will be necessary to use a scale in a more interesting way.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Just shift the notes in your "box" on the 6th string up two frets.. and on the rest of the strings it remains the same.. (coz in drop-d your not changing their tuning)
No, you shouldnt be learning scales as patterns.

A Scale is a series of notes based on a set of intervals.

The Major pentatonic scale uses the intevals 1 2 3 5 and 6.
Apply this to the C Major scale, and you will have the notes: C D E G A

Therefore, you need to play those notes in order to be playing the C Major pentatonic, as per the diagram below:

C Major pentatonic:

e|--------------------------8-10--|
B|---------------------8-10-------|
G|-----------------7-9------------|
D|------------7-10----------------|
A|-------7-10---------------------|
E|--8-10--------------------------|

e|-------------------------C-D--|
B|---------------------G-A------|
G|----------------D-E-----------|
D|-----------A-C----------------|
A|------E-G---------------------|
E|--C-D-------------------------|

See the order of notes has stayed the same?

Now, if we tuned to Drop D, look what happens if we play that same pattern now:

D|--8-10--------------------------|

D|-A#-C-------------------------|

Notice, the first note we play is an A#, which isnt in the C Major pentatonic scale, therefore, strictly speaking, you wouldnt be playing that scale.

If you wanted to play the C Pentatonic Major scale in Drop D, you would have to do this:

D|-10-12--------------------------|

D|--C-D-------------------------|
Been away, am back
^ just like he said.. i was gonna do the whole tab thing in a sec, but u beat me to it..

very comprehensive though, threadstarter should understand i hope

on and yea, dont only learn the boxes, it might be usefull as a start, but theres a lot of theory behind it which is VERY useful to know.. and helps you understand when you go to different tunings, etc.