i am thinking about buying a 30w amp for home/practice use. (i'm new to guitar, not in a band). I like playing metal etc. i went to guitar center, and asked to try a Roland cube 30, and the dude told me "we don't have any, but i tell you what-- this is my favorite amp for metal. it totally rocks!" and showed me the Line6 spider. I thought the "metal" tones amp sounded real thin and crappy... Is it just me, or am I right in staying away from this LIne6 product?
You are right. I played one with some of my friends at Guitar Center about 2 weeks ago. Although I always saw people bashing it on UG, I had never actually witnessed it. Well the tone does suck. It seems like it is a digital tone.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
i like the amp i find if you tweak the settings a bit like the eq's you can get nearly anytone you want, but also remember that the tone pots on the guitar have to be used aswell
Fear my squirrelly wrath!

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Quote by mad-axe-man
i like the amp i find if you tweak the settings a bit like the eq's you can get nearly anytone you want, but also remember that the tone pots on the guitar have to be used aswell
Thats true. I have the 75W version of it and I got a mad tone out of mine. So I vill, tell you vhat. If you get ze amp I shall share my settings with yoo. Har, I wanted to sound like one of them vvampire dudes =( i guess it didnt work. But anywho you get it i vill give you my amp settings. And did you use the Green LED or Red LED. Cause the Green LED (on metal setting) is SOOOO MUCH better than the Red LED.
they're ok for practise amps, but if they see the light of day then they turn into evil evil beings, basically you're better off looking at the roland elsewhere, at least then you would have a pretty versatile amp for band's etc
Quote by rtripton
i am thinking about buying a 30w amp for home/practice use. (i'm new to guitar, not in a band). I like playing metal etc. i went to guitar center, and asked to try a Roland cube 30, and the dude told me "we don't have any, but i tell you what-- this is my favorite amp for metal. it totally rocks!" and showed me the Line6 spider. I thought the "metal" tones amp sounded real thin and crappy... Is it just me, or am I right in staying away from this LIne6 product?

Line 6 amps are great for target practice. The 12" speaker makes a great bullseye for 200m rifle shooting.

I hate Line 6 amps, but then again I think all amps geared specifically towards metal sound like crap.
Hi, I'm Peter
the quality is terrible. we get tons of, "hey my line 6 amp broke" threads.

plus there's that whole digital robot-optimus prime tone of theirs.

roland cubes FTW in the solid state practice amp category.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Dirk Gently
but then again I think all amps geared specifically towards metal sound like crap.

So, according to you:

Any Recto made by Mesa sucks.
The 6505/5150 sucks.
Any Randall sucks.
The Cubes suck.

I beg to differ.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Nope, but according to me, the Mark IV is an infinitely better amp than the Dual Recto, the Peavey XXX is sterile crap, Vox Valvetronix amps are better than Cubes, and I've never heard a Randall or high end Peavey amp because no one around here carries them and I've never cared to seek one out. And you can beg all you want, but my opinion is just as valid as yours I just don't think metal amps have a whole lot of character, not like a Vox AC30, a Boogie Lone Star or Mark IV, a Fender Bassman, etc.
Hi, I'm Peter
as for vox vs cube...

i know ur not crazy about that vox30 speaker now are ya pete.

for higher gain stuff i like the cube. me, im geared more towards vox because im a strat freak.
but u cant dispute cubes are made to last. u can find tons of old cubes trucking along, all over ebay.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, the lower end Valvetronix speakers yank. But the AD50VT and above are awesome
Hi, I'm Peter