It's the black bar on the pickgaurd. I've never owned a bass with one of those. It would make sense to me if it was on the other side (a thumbrest) but here, I don't know.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jun 19, 2006,
i dont know i have had the same trouble trying to find out what they are
Fear my squirrelly wrath!

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
I've heard that they're finger rest, to make plucking with your thumb easier. I personally don't see how usefull it would be, and I'm not sure if that's correct, but I've heard that somewhere.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
it is a thumbrest. for when people played with their thumbs
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Shouldn't it be on the other side? It's a right handed bass.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
it is a thumbrest. for when people played with their thumbs

Correct. I don't mean like slap, I mean when thumbs were used like picks for a rounder tone with very very vintage fender basses basically. lol. They gave a thumbrest. "Shouldn't it be on the other side?"

well I don't think it'd be much of a rest if you were using it to help you play. It's there for when you're not playing for a long long time. You know... the 50s or 60s or something. lol

Honestly, they began to move it to the other side and it made more sense there, but it started out on that side. When Ampeg made basses they always put it on the 'weird' far side.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Err, in terms of a 'thumb rest' I thought it was to anchor your fingers on so you had more of a lever on your hand.

EDIT: Literally 'resting' your thumb on a little piece of black plastic like it were a bed is the most stupid thing I can imagine.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
im not a bass player,what is the thing that goes around the strings for?
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.