Hey everybody,

I've been saving up for some time now, and reckon I'll be able to get myself a bit of nice gear by the end of the summer... So, what I'm looking to buy is a Fender Stratocaster (standard, sunburst) and at least the effects that John Frusciante uses. Now, the thing is that (as you can see on here http://guitargeek.com/rigview/576/ ) he also uses a Roland Chorus ensemble and a Ibanez Wah ... Thing is though, that I'm not willing to research through ebay and everything, and pay more just to get the exact same thing... So:

What substitutes would you recommend to get a similar tone like the 2 effects mentioned above?
Would I need a power supply to power the whole thing?
Does he really use a DS-2 on a tube amp?
How would the chain be? Like they show it on guitargeek, or different?

Thanks for hopefully some useful information
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Don't depend on the effects to give you his tone, depend on the amp/guitar.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Dude, I'm as shocked as you are seeing that DS-2 crap sitting over there........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
A boss chorus unit and a crybaby 535Q or Ibanez weeping demon should get you close enough to his sound. He does indeed use a DS-2 on a tube amp, and despite what everyone on this site says, there is nothing wrong with using a distortion on a tube amp. Just ask steve vai, joe satriani, dave navarro, randy rhoads, warren haynes, or gary moore.

p.s. I'd be more worried about the amp than the effects. What amp do you have?
on the new album he would also use a moogerfooger and his effects have changed big time since that current. he has a line 6 delay and filter
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Jun 19, 2006,
Hypnot1st: I'm going to get myself the guitar first, and the effects. and the amp later. And yes i know the stuff about an amp making your tone sound more like it. But somehow I'd like to postpone the more expensive stuff And I'm already getting a Strat

bluespunkmetal: yup

Roc8995: Mmkay,I get it. So a boss chorus hmm... okay. And about the crybaby: I heard from a lot of people they dont really like it, and I've been borrowing a mates CBG-95 for a while now, and I'm not too fond of it, so any other recommendations?

azn_guitarist25: cheers, I'll look into them.

Oh, and i know you'll gonna flip because I'm using a Frontman 15R. But like I said: I want to postpone the more expensive stuff until I turn 16. I'll probably have enough money by christmas then or something like that. I'm planning on getting a JCM800 with a 4x12" cab then. Might get it first anyway if I see a good deal on ebay or something: My dad's willing to lend me some cash
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

*bump* Anyone info about in what chain to put 'em?
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

If you don't wanna' spend loads, the best stuff to get for a Fru-like tone(but depends which type of tone....) is a Fender Strat, a nice clean valve amp, a Big Muff, and a wah (Vox's are nice) A Boss chorus should be fine.

What do you mean what chain? Effects chain? Decide for yourself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
dont try and find the ibanez wah he uses. he said himself in an interview that they break all the time and he just has a ****load of back ups.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
^Yup, and they're really expensive too.
Don't be afraid to care"

besides i'm pretty sure hes using dunlop wahs nowadays anyway. For frusciante tones, there are five important elements, A GOOD valve amp (john uses marshall so thats the way to go for his tone), A wah pedal (as i said, i'm pretty sure he uses dunlop now but a vox or a morley are more more universal), an good ditortion pedal (i would recommend DS-1 or DS-2), some form of chorus (CE-20 Boss Chorus ensemble should do the job) and finally there is the all important strat.

As for effects chain, all i can really say is for more pronounced wah tones put the wah at the end of the chain, for less pronounced tones, put the wah before the distorion, otherwise, it's just trial and error.
^A Big Muff would be a lot better for John sounds, and John still does use the Ibanez wah's, he's got some spares lol.
Don't be afraid to care"

So, a Strat, Marshall JCM800 with 4x12 cab, Big muff, CE-20, Vox 535Q maybe?, MXR phase 90 should do the trick right?
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

He doesn't use a phaser much anymore, but if you want one, go for it, and the Vox isn't 535Q, that's a Dunlop you're thinking of, the Voxes are V847 or V848, and you could always just get a JCM800 combo to save money.

Try them all out together though, see if you like the sound.
Don't be afraid to care"

Ah yeh, I mean the Dunlop yes.

I was thinking about the JCM 800 as a combo, but somehow the fact of a Halfstack attracts me. A lot

I'd like to try 'em out together, but I think it'd be quite unpolite to try 'em all out together in the nearest guitarshop, without buying anything. I'll be buying everything brand-new off the internet so.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

Listen, if you're after that sound, you'll have to play all the stuff together to get a feel for it all and so you can tell if the sound's close enough, if not, look at other stuff, and tell them in the shop you'll buy something soon...

And why not buy used off the internet? T'will be a lot cheaper...
Don't be afraid to care"

^Yeah I know, but I feel guilty whenever I do that

Oh, and I've just been looking on the internet. Found a JCM 800 half stack with a 1960 cab 4x12" for 875 ? used. And a combo 575 ? used...

Combo or Half stack, whatdya think?
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

Combo.

But, are you gonna use one to crank, or to use for the Fru clean tone?

Don't feel guilty, they're used to it at guitar shops mate!
Don't be afraid to care"

Yeh, thought so combo. Mate of mine said as well. A lot easier to carry

For the moment just for practice. But I'll be probably starting a band that plays mainly rhcp songs next schoolyear.

Might as well just do it. Their fault that their prices are to high
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

^Haha yea, good luck with it all, tell me how it goes!
Don't be afraid to care"

^I will!

Oh, btw; are those some good deals? 575 ? for a combo jcm 800 and 875 ? for a halfstack with a 50 watt jcm 800 top + 4x12" cab
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

screw vox and crybaby, go for a Budda wah or a Teese wizard wah

once you've got JCM800 and strat, chorus could be anything from the boss (OKAY) to a TC Electronic SCF (amazing chorus, just google it)

but for JF's tone...i'm not sure which chorus would be ideal

big muff sounds like a good idea for a lot of the older stuff and more rap-rock songs - but i wouldn't get a halfstack, JCM800 2x12 would due fine - or if you could find a JCM900, the distortion on the other channel would do nicely for his tone (or if you find a jubilee :p)
-Mike
^The ones I found were just 1x12" ... 50 watt of course ...

If I were to play a show at my school with it, would that speaker be enough?

Oh, and I'm not able to get a Budda wah because I only have one big musicstore where I can get my stuff from. Never heard about the teese wizard wah yet, I'll look into it.

I'm trying to keep it a bit on a budget so I won't bother about the TC electronic. Maybe an option for my next upgrade.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

*bump*

Would I need some kind of powersupply to power the effect chain?
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

ya
i use an MXR DC-brick on mine
Voodoo Lab makes the Pedal Power
or you can use a daisy chain instead which is what i did for a while.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
John uses a jubilee amp for his crunch tones and a marshall major 75 for his clean... good luck imitating that sound if you don't wanna fork out 10's of thousands of dollars if you are lucky enough to EVER find anyone WILLING to sell em. John used a crybaby for Mothers MIlk so i guess that will be close enough. You'll need a Ds-1 or 2 depending on what you get, but along with that he also uses a big muff so yeah, you'll need to decide which one you like. Next is a line 6 modulator modeller and a delay moddeller. Then you'll need a chorus which a boss CE-1 will be cool for that. MXR Phase 90. That'll sum it up basically for ya, you shouldn't spend so much money on imitating someone but it doesn't really bother ME all the same. BTW, that ds-1 plugged into that fender amp was only used for the otherside solo, he only ever ran his gretsch white falcon through that thing and now it's been replaced with another jubilee.
That's for the btw tour anyhow...
i've seen marshall jubilees on ebay for a ****load of cash. I've also seen 200w majors... but jcm800 should be fine. Do the combo unless you're going to do A LOT of gigs.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

santhony: I know that I'm imitating somebodys tone. But I love that tone!

RHCPKicksA$$: Yeh, I'm probably going for a combo.

Anybody can give me a good lesson in making a proper effects-chain?
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.

Yea, his tone is definately something special.

And John hardly ever uses amp distortion, mainly his Muff nowadays.

And search "effects chain" in the forums, see what comes up, there's a general rule for effects in a chain.
Don't be afraid to care"

your new standard in effects order:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

look at it, review it, and listen to it (generally) - although i encourage movement of effects for different tones (mostly the wah, pre or post distortion/preamp makes a big difference, although the way appointed in that guide is usually what you're hearing - and delay as well, almost all delays are in the loop, but ie, for Welcome to the Jungle, it was before the preamp/distortion)
-Mike