Ok here is the deal, working at my local guitar shop/store I keep getting a picture of the same guitar, a '72 Telecatser Custom. I show them two guitars from the back that we have. One has a Rosewood board and The other a Maple Board. I tell them that the board isnt that important to an electric guitar becuase most of the sounds is produced by the pick-ups or electronics (Hence "Electric Guitar"). I asked some other workers if I was rigth in saying that they said "Ya, sure." Am I right in saying that Fret boards on electrics are mostly for show compared to that of a Full/Semi Acustics?
yeah, but wood resenates, and the pick ups pick up the sound that resenates. so the sound that resentates through the guitar is whats picked up and then put out to the amp.
Yes the fretboard does affect the sounds... maple is brighter, rosewood darker..
maple boards have a harder feel to them with a brighter sound
and rosewood boards have a softer feel to them with a warmer sound.

i have used them both and like both.
Its personal preference which you like better to be honest.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
rosewood for me, sounds and plays the best. maple it to twangy and kinda sticky feeling couse if the laquior finish, and ive personally never used ebony.
I like pretty much anything and like the variety in feel. Maple depends alot on its finish for me though.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I like rosewood fretboards. one question, what wood is an Ebony fretboard? kuz my LP fretboard is ebony..
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
I like rosewood fretboards. one question, what wood is an Ebony fretboard? kuz my LP fretboard is ebony..
Similar to Maple but I think more warmer sound. Not quite sure though.
Ebony is ebony. . .

I like both maple and rosewood. If I had to choose. . . probably a nice rosewood fretboard.
Come on, the fretboard doesn't exactly make a huge difference. Of all things, the fretboard is the least of your worries when it comes to sound, the main concern with a fretboard is the one you like the feel of better. I prefer a good rosewood fretboard, or an un-laquered maple. I hate laquered maple, it is slow and makes the strings dig into your fingers...
oo i didnt know ebony was actually a type of wood

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
my order is

rosewood>ebony>maple

its all personal preference really, and they affect the sound minimally
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

While rosewood and maple impart their own tonal characteristeics, no matter how minor, the biggest difference, assuming same back of the neck finish, is probably purely cosmetic, I'm thinking of Strats here.

For appearance, I like maple, kinda like Clapton and Gilmour ... and this gets shot to pieces because SRV is just incredible. Maple would also look weird on Gibson fretboards for some reason.
Maple on Gibsons looks wierd because of the black headstock, look at the Camo Zakk Wylde Les Paul, ugly. I would definitely agree that fretboard affects sound, maple is bright, rosewood is dark, and ebony is deep and smooth. I play a Strat that I got off eBay, and it was advertised with a Maple fretboard but came with a Rosewood, he gave me 100 dollars off so I took it (550 for a unplayed American Stratocaster, awesome.) I thought I would want maple but now that I have a humbucker in the bridge I like the rosewood. But I am looking into an ebony fretboard, so smooth, I love them. Tonally, they aren't as good, but they're so soft. Sound great on Les Pauls, deep and full.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

i like the camo Zakk Wylde^^

Quote by richwatkinson
I prefer ebony over rosewood, and rosewood over maple. Of course, my opinion is not exactly fair and balanced as I am playing three totally different guitars...
Maple to me just feels better in my hands compared to a rosewood.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
one question, what wood is an Ebony fretboard? kuz my LP fretboard is ebony..

How has nobody sigged this yet?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.