I've been thinking about buying an Epiphone SG instead of a Gibson because I can't afford the Gibson. Can anyone tell me if the Epiphone is worth it?
i got the g-400 .. its good.. nice fretboard to play. in my opinion a bit too much bass in the sound but its good ..rest is the **** ;P
g310 = i own one, mainly use it unplugged after i had it set up for my likings otherwise decent guitar nothing that great.

g400 = better bang for your buck also all mahogany body is a plus so i would take this over the g310
The Gibson SG specials are nice. IDK how much more expensive they are, but I played one at GC and it was great. rather thave a standard though... :P
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
The Gibson SG specials are nice. IDK how much more expensive they are, but I played one at GC and it was great. rather thave a standard though... :P

i think its around 650$ somewhere around there
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

g-400
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Go for the G-400 or the Elitist '62 SG if you can find one. The Elitist will be just as good as a Gibson. If not better in some cases.

The G-400 is $300 for the faded version, $400 for the normal, and ~$500 for the Maestro version.

The Elitist SG runs about $580 if you can find them.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
If you dont mind the diferent finish try the vintage g-400 instead of the standard one. Pretty much the same guitar with a diferent finish and 100 bucks cheaper.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

^They're idenicle aside fromt the finish. And, to be honest, I like the worn brown the Vintage G-400 comes in.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I got a Vintage G-400 and I swapped the original pick-ups for gibson pick-ups. It's now a gibson with an epiphone headstock.

PS: I'm gonna sell this sucker soon and get a real SG soon though.
There have been 2 I've seen, one around $400 and the other around $150, one was decent, the cheaper one was trash
I recokn you should search around for the SG Deluxe. I got mine for $560 aus at a massive sale thing.
MY GEAR

Cort G200 Strat Copy
Epi SG Deluxe (hand-made)
Washburn Dreadnaught Acoustic
Behringer GMX210
Laney HCM10
Zoom GFX-707
Behringer UM100
Behringer TO800
Crybaby Wah
epiphones suck balls, i had an epiphone sg, and it was a peice of **** and would always get outta tune, DO NOT GET IT, trust me, its worth saving for a gibson sg
Quote by Stoned Hippie
epiphones suck balls, i had an epiphone sg, and it was a peice of **** and would always get outta tune, DO NOT GET IT, trust me, its worth saving for a gibson sg

wow your so specific mate. which sg was it?
the g-400 is a solid guitar, gets me the tones i want for blues rock and even metal when its called for, its well worth what youll pay for it

Quote by smb
If you're in the UK then this is as good and much cheaper. I prefered it to the G-400.

ive got both and trust me the g-400 walks all over the vintage in build quality, playability and sound

on the other hand though vintage make some nice acoustics

Quote by Stoned Hippie

and you need to stop generalising

good luck with the guitars TS
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Jul 8, 2006,
I recently bought an Epi SG from Guitar Center. This one is labeled as a Custom Shop model made exclusively for Guitar Center. It has a nice low action somewhat wide neck, which I 'm accustomed to and the full pickguard as the on Gibson model. It plays well and has a great sound, although, I am considering changing to Seymour Duncan pickups. As far as it staying in tune, it has nice Grover tuning machines stock. Only minor tweaking every now and then. Incidentally, mine is labeled as a SG not a G-400/G-310. It has a mahogany body, mahogany set neck and rosewood fretboard and the original cherry finish. The price was $399, about $500 less than the lowest price Gibson. To me, it wasn't worth buying the Gibson above his one. One word of advice, play both, or several. Don't worry about the name. Decide if it plays well and sounds good to you. That's what is important.
Quote by Stoned Hippie

On the other hand, I have one, and it almost never goes out of tune. in fact, it stays in tune better than the gibson models that people i know own. The finish on mine was also better than that of the gibsons in the shop where i bought mine. That said, in the same shop, crappy epiphones were for sale.

Epiphones are hit and miss when it comes to quality. But they are supposed to be "cheaper Gibsons", so what do you expect, when you pay less...
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
i was thinking what about the iommi>? that has gibson pickups and is modified. I need advice on this aswell
not too familiar with this, but i think it has higher output pickups. other than that, i think the differences are mearly cosmetic:
The strap button has been moved to the top horn for easier playing (its not a problem where it normally is)
the pick guard is matt black
cross style inlays
etc
etc

Also, try this review:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/epiphone/sg_tony_iommi/index.html
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
It probly would be getting the gibson like stoned hippie said but if your straped for cash find a epi deluxe. Mine was hand made and has an all mahogany body/neck.
MY GEAR

Cort G200 Strat Copy
Epi SG Deluxe (hand-made)
Washburn Dreadnaught Acoustic
Behringer GMX210
Laney HCM10
Zoom GFX-707
Behringer UM100
Behringer TO800
Crybaby Wah
Just as a side quesition for this topic, how are the Faded SG's?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Just as a side quesition for this topic, how are the Faded SG's?

like normal g-400 with a different paintjob. well thats my opinion anyway
Quote by smb
If you're in the UK then this is as good and much cheaper. I prefered it to the G-400.

dude i nearly crapped my pants seeing something with those specs so cheap. are they really that good? is the hardware good like decent humbuckers and hopefully good tuners?
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
dude i nearly crapped my pants seeing something with those specs so cheap. are they really that good? is the hardware good like decent humbuckers and hopefully good tuners?

in a word no, they aren't that good. ive had one for about 8 months now, i just dont play it, it doesn't match up to my others
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
^ aww man. o well
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by tommyt
in a word no, they aren't that good. ive had one for about 8 months now, i just dont play it, it doesn't match up to my others

what dont you like about it
the feel of the guitar, when im playing it it just feels like im playing a lump of plastic rather than wood, the pickups are too muddy for my liking (although this is more of a personal preference) also the tuners on it aren't great and go out of tune frequently.
frankly it just feels cheap to me

taking it out and playing it again ive remembered why i put it away in the first place
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000