Sorry, it's a bit long... I'd just rather explain everything in one go then do it later on in the thread... so I apologise in advance!

I'm in the process of upgrading my gear, hopefully to be all ready to go by the end of the year. I'm in a band and with a gutload of practise and dedication we plan to be on the road by the end of the year.

Because we've spent a lot of time trying to determine if we're serious about this or not, none of us have upgraded our gear past beginners stuff. We've gotten used to writing and playing mediocre instruments... none of us wanted to go out and buy new gear until we were certain we were not going to regret it.

Well, we're serious, so it's time to upgrade. I've got a job so money is not the biggest issue, however a lot of it needs to be saved up for a van, petrol, accom, food and so on for the end of the year... so I'd like to aim to get good quality gear that will survive being on the road, and that I wont grow out of too quickly. I dont want to get super cheap stuff, but if something cheap does the job well then that's great and I'll go for it.

My current rig:

Ibanez GAX70 (soon to be modded for sentimental reasons and then to be used as a back up on the road guitar) (and yes the wood is bad so new pups will only help so much... but as I said it's sentimental )
small Peavey Rage 158 practise amp
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2 (& PSA adapter and daisy chain)
Ibanez DE7 (perfect example of if it's cheap and does the job ok, I'll get it).

Apart from some sort of chorus pedal I'm pretty much set in the pedal department as our songs don't really call for much more. I'm planning on getting a new guitar by the end of the year, but a new amp is on the cards first because a good amp will help me more than a new guitar will, even if it means I'll have to play the GAX70 a bit longer (I've gone this long with it, what's a few months going to matter?!).

So...
1) Amp?
We play rock/alternative/experimental rock (so looking at mids)
Will need something that will be versatile enough to be used as my practise amp but powerful enough to be heard over drums, etc in smallish venues (pubs, clubs, basements) baring in mind that we'll have a PA system.

I don't want to go much above $1500 AUD (~$1100 USD) but I'm flexible, I'll go over if there's something nearby that's worth it. That said, if there's something cheaper that will do the job decently, I'd rather go for that and spend the excess money on hard cases or put it towards the guitar or something. I don't want to go overboard and be over horsed (so to speak) by my equipment. Would prefer all tube/valve but I've heard good things about some hybrids (like Vox's) and am willing to try those out and give them a shot. Not too fussed over combo vs stacks, however will need to think about the amount of space it takes up in the van and if need be I'll keep the peavey practise amp (eck!) and just get a seperate one for rehersal and gigging... but if there's an amp that can do both that would be better.

2) Guitar
This is something I havent really thought about yet. Price range will be about $2000-$3000 AUD (~$1500-$2200 USD) but it'll be the same story as the amp. I'm thinking of a fender (it is rock after all) or something a little more left field like a schecter or similar. I'd like to think about the guitar at the same time as thinking about the amp even though I'll be purchasing the guitar later, as I'd really like the two to complement each other well (I'd much rather think of this as a package than two separate things). So basically I'm asking for suggestions on amps, and then guitars that will complement the suggested amp well.

3) Pedals, ect
A chorus pedal will definitely be needed.
I'm willing to sell the DS-1 if the amp can cope, which will take things down to the TU-2, chorus pedal and Ibanex DE7... which is a little on the naked side for a pedal board -if we dont include the list of pedals I'll need for gigging (which to my understanding is volume, effects loop, footswitches for amps etc). So to start with I'd very much appreciate some suggestions for good chorus pedals, and then if there are other good pedals out there that you think should be in the pedal board of a modern rock guitarist please let me know and I'll investigate further.

4) A final request (I'm sorry, I didnt actually think it would get THIS long):
I think I have a fair understanding of what is needed for gigging, however to be sure I'd really appreciate a list of everything needed on stage for a guitarist (lead or rhythm) eg amp, guitar, leads between different bits, pedal board, what pedals and so on... (no need to include things like hard cases, spare strings, pliers, tape, backup guitar... just the normal stuff a gigging guitarist would have on stage at any given time).

I'd like to go out and do a proper job of buying stuff now so I dont have to change and sell things on later on down the track. We have the attitude that if we're not well received than we'll come back home, practise more and give it as many shots as it takes... instead of giving up and downgrading/playing at lower levels. So basically I'd like to get my shopping list right the first time. If we reach some higher status then I'll think about upgrading again but that's definately years away and I'll worry about that when we get there.

Thankyou so much for reading all this if you did, I understand it's a lot to answer but any help/suggestions would be really appreciated.
Cheers.
Suggesting an amp and guitar is difficult, so maybe you could help us out by telling us a little bit more about what you want. How about this to start: which of these is closest to what you had in mind:
Vox AC30 and a strat
Fender Bassman and a strat
Marshall and a Les Paul
Engl and an Ibanez

all right, on to the next one, effects:
here's what I'd have(pedals are just examples, it's mainly for the type):
ds-1 distortion
TS9 overdrive
DD-6 delay
Line 6 MM-4 Modulation
Crybaby 535Q wah
Does anything there strike you as something you don't want? Something I missed?

Once you've got those down, I'd be happy to compile a list of all the stuff you need. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm not 100% sure what I want, that's the problem.
To be honest after months of discussions, it was only firmly decided on the weekend that we would all upgrade our gear... before then I had just accepted the gear I had and spent all my time working on our songs instead of window shopping... so I haven't really had a good chance to look at different makes and models. I mean sure, when I go out to gigs I check out what the bands use but unfortunately most of that is forgotten by the next morning unless something really excites me.

Basically, first off I'd like to find an amp that I can use for rehersal and practising... but that can also cope with gigging in small to medium venues. I'm sure there are amps out there that can cope with that, I just dont know which ones they are. So really I'm after suggestions on amps that will suit that purpose so that I know where to start looking. Then I guess I'm after opinions on the best amp that can do that in my price range, and whether or not it's a good idea to get the best in my price range or go for one a bit below that which will still do the job well (but I can spend the rest of the money on something else).

And as for the guitar, once again I'm pretty clueless. Most of the guitarists in bands I go out to watch play Fenders... so I guess I'll probably follow the same route. But for example, if you have a Vox AC30 and use a Schecter with it and think it sounds really really great, I'd like to know so that I can try out that combination too.

I hope that made things a bit clearer.
As for the pedals in the past I've bought a particular effect because I've felt something was missing in a song, and I'd seen another band use one in a similar situation, tried it out, and liked it. Which is probably why I haven't got many pedals, I don't feel our songs need them. That said, I'm sure there are pedals out there that are typical of rock that I haven't even thought about... Once I know what they are I'd like to try them out to see if they add more to our songs, but again it's the case of I'm not sure which ones to try out.
All those pedals you listed sound great, I'm just not 100% sure on why I would need, for example, a wah pedal. I guess it's just a matter of trying things out and seeing if they work.

Thanks again for your help!
Last edited by odway at Jun 19, 2006,
You might be able to get the sound your looking for from an Orange Rockerverb 50 combo. Play one before you buy it though, just to be sure.

I would get either an American Strat or an American Tele.
Great, that cleared things up quite a bit.
This is going a bit against the numbers you have but bear with me. How about switching the amount you'll pay for the guitar and amp? Here's why:
The AC30 is amazing, but the tubes are hard to get to, meaning you'll want a backup for gigging. so here's what I think: get two AC30 heads and the 2x12 cab. Then you have a great amp and an identical backup, for less than $2000. you could also get 2 combos, but that might be difficult to transport.
Then get a nice fender guitar - you can get an american deluxe strat for around a grand.
I don't mind switching the guitar and amp prices at all, it's all pretty flexible at the moment .

I'll look into the AC30 then if it'll do the job. What's the likelyhood of needing a backup amp though? Would it be a huge risk going out with just one combo or half stack? I'm only asking because it looks like we'll be pretty tight on space.
You could certainly get away with just one combo, it was just a suggestion if you felt like you needed the backup. If you don't have much space just get the 2x12 combo and call it a day. What you could do is get the AC30 for gigging and an AC15 for practice if you don't want to lug them around.
Why not look at other amps? Although the newer ac30's have great clean channels, when driven, they sound undefined and like the amp's being strangled. I just feel that there are better amps out there to suit your style (marshalls, traynors, oranges etc.)
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Have you looked at a Marshall DSL 401 combo? That sounds like it would suit you pretty good. As for the guitar, an American Fat Strat would be perfect, or maybe a Gibson SG Standard. In all respect to Gibson though, the Fender is probably the better guitar, but if you do look at the Gibson, make sure to try it out first. Well really try out any guitar first.
Thankyou all for your help and for being so patient with me while I work this noobness out of my system!

The AC30 seems to be getting a lot of votes so I'll definately check that out and will probably just go with one combo or one half stack. If when on the road I feel there's a need for a backup amp I'll look into getting one, but I'd imagine we could borrow another bands gear if one of our amps started sulking.
I have two, no wait, three questions though:
1) What are the advantages of using a half stack instead of a combo?
2) In your opinion, which is more professional (combo vs half stack) or is there no real difference?
and
3) Would a lower model vox cut it for me? eg Valvetronix AD60 or similar

I'm definately more of a Fender person than gibson person, so I'm leaning more towards the Fender. Early next year a third guitar is on the cards to replace my current b/u guitar so I can investigate some others then.
I'm pretty much sold on some sort of Fender Strat especially as most of you have suggested it so I'll start checking those out. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Quote by jimbob78
Why not look at other amps? Although the newer ac30's have great clean channels, when driven, they sound undefined and like the amp's being strangled. I just feel that there are better amps out there to suit your style (marshalls, traynors, oranges etc.)

I'm all for looking at other amps. I was just focussing on the AC30 because that's what had been suggested. I'll be trying out the Marshall DSL 401, and the Orange Rockerverb 50 as well, and whatever else people suggest. I'd rather spend an entire week in a shop trying stuff out then getting something and regretting it the following week because I didn't know there was something better on the market. So suggest away!

Once again thankyou all!
Last edited by odway at Jun 19, 2006,
I'm gonna be a bit different and go with what I feel might be the best bet for you, from what I know experience wise.

Amp(s):

- Marshall DSL 212 combo - useable cleans, great crunch - sounds like what you'd be after in a rock band - crank the mids and it really cuts through

- Peavey Classic 50 212 or the Classic 30 head - amazing cleans and great crunch again - not metal amounts of gain but you don't sound like you're after that

- Peavey JSX 212 combo - amazing cleans, great crunch - amazing lead channel - not sure if it's in your price range though

Guitars:

- Fender Fat Strat (HSS) humbuckers/singles

- Fender Double Fat Strat (HH) dual humbuckers

- Fender Deluxe Strat (SSS) triple single coils

all three are versatile and as you said you like Fenders, it's all personal preferance for Strats

- Ibanez RG preferably of the prestige series (1570) (HSH) - some people consider them a metal guitar but really any guitar works for any style

Schecter BlackJack (HH) - comes standard with Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo and coil tap, giving it basically single coils and humbuckers

***TRY ALL GUITARS BEFORE YOU BUY***

Pedals:

Either a Vox v847 Wah Pedal or the Dunlop 535q - takes care of your wah

Boss DS-1 - not mandatory but you own it why not use it

Boss DD-6 Delay

Line 6 MM-4 Modulation

Maybe a noise suppressor/noise gate - ISP Noise Decemator

An EQ pedal maybe - Boss's pedal is fine

A tuner pedal - if you want it that is

Make sure you do carry extra tubes/valves if you do get a valve amp - and just the basics from their I think - GOODLUCK

Too answer your questions a halfstack seems more professional but combos just make a bit more sense if you only have one vehicle to travel with and it is preferance, halfstack advantage is mix/match heads and cabs.

Don't bother getting a hybrid or solid state amp - if you've got the money you really should go for that tube tone in my opinion, but again it depends on what you feel is best for you - tone is subjective. A small PA system wouldn't hurt either - you'll probably end up micing no matter what you use (as 95% of places will provide PAs) so a lower wattage tube amp would win in that scenario as it drives better - though higher wattage tube amps do have better clean channel headroom.

Hope I helped.
Last edited by klowntown101 at Jun 19, 2006,
As far as combo vs halfstack goes, for guitar, I don't think stacks are really that practical all the time. A 2x12 combo should do you fine for most things, unless you play in a metal band...

Advantages of a halfstack, they are usually louder, project sound better, and you can customise your sound by choosing different cabs/heads.

However, they are bulky to move around, they are more expensive, and they may be too loud to get good poweramp distortion with.

I wouldn't look into a halfstack at that price range. And definatly look used.

as for a lowr model amp, if you want a modelling amp look into a Line 6 Flextone. But with $1500 you can get a tube combo, so unless you need to go from death metal to reggae I wouldn't bother.

As for guitars, if you like strats the don't limit yourself to American fenders. IMO they are overpriced for what you get, not bad guitars, but not worth the $2000 you have to fork over for a baseline model. (The only Fender American strats I played and actually liked were a $4500 Eric Johnson sig, and a $7500 custom shop...)

Look into G&L, though they may be a bit expensive.

Also look into Japanese strats, they are made much better than the American ones. You will want to change the pickups and other hardware, but in the end you'll have a guitar thats better than and American strat for alot less.

On the cheap, a Mexican deluxe might be alright.

If you willing to go up to $3000, you have to check out Ernie Ball Musicman guitars. They are absolute strat killers. Great playing necks, amazing tones, these gutiars are great. I know a guy who went from having quite a few strats (one was a $5000 custom shop) to the Ernie Ball guitars. He's almost got every one now. (God knows how he can afford it.) Have a play through thier different models. you should be able to find a HSS one.

When spending that much on guitars and amps, don't buy anyhting the first week. In that first week, just play everything you can, and write down the names of guitars and amps that appeal to you. once you've narrowed it down, spend more time with then, download thier manuals and have a read, and play them alot.

With the guitars, play everyone one you can once you're foudn what model you want. If you have six of the same type, play them all. You'll find one that you like more than the others.

I would reccommend and amp, but I'd need to know what you want it to do first of all. There are tones of good amps in that price range, just tell us what kind of tones you want to get.

Look for a cab out if you're buying a combo, always usefull, this way you can add an extra set of speakers later on if you find that you're not projecting well enough.

you should get at least 30w if it's a valve amp. The more wattage, the more headroom you want, so try to balance volume with headroom. Make sure you play the amp on a variety of volume settings, including full blast.

Again, take it slowly. You should spend as much time as you can with the gear before you buy it.

Quote by odway
I'd rather spend an entire week in a shop trying stuff out then getting something and regretting it the following week because I didn't know there was something better on the market.

^ That's the right way to go about it.

BTW, have you thought about spending more on your amp and less on your guitar? once you hit the $2000 mark alot more things open up ampwise, and amps do make up most of your tone, so it might be better to get an awsome amp and a good guitar instead of the other way around.

Oh, and if you live in Melbourne I might be able to point you in the direction of some good guitar stores.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I'm a perthy, but thanks for the offer anyway!

I think I'm going to have to have a think about combo vs half stack. I'm leaning more towards a combo because it takes up less space and I can always attatch a cab if I need something more. Plus I was always under the impression that you could buy cabs that matched heads, so why would you mix and match if you could buy a head and cab that were designed for eachother? Also stage space would be a problem, and I think our other guitarist is planning on getting a combo too, so I wouldn't want to overpower her.

Quote by TGM
I would reccommend and amp, but I'd need to know what you want it to do first of all. There are tones of good amps in that price range, just tell us what kind of tones you want to get.

This is actually a hard question because at the moment our tone is really just a reflection of a mix of our influences... and we dont necessarily want to sound like our influences in the long run. I know that after a while, after a lot of experimenting and experience, you begin to establish your own tone and this is what I'm hoping will happen. I could sit down and list all our influences if you like, but I think that thanks to all of your suggestions I have a long enough list of amps now that I can research and try out for myself... when I go to try them out I want to have a very open mind so that I can make an unbiased choice, and I'm sure when I go to try them out there'll be an amp that I'll click with (and that's the one that'll come home with me provided there are no issues )

Same goes for the guitar aswell. I think there's been some great suggestions on here (thanks for the Ernie Ball Musicman guitar info too), I'll go and look into some of those. Once again I think there'll be a certain guitar I'll click with, I just have to go and find it. At least now I know where to start the search and I wont rock up to the shop going "dergh, I want a guitar..."

So really, I think I'm set for my guitar and amp choices now, I atleast know now what the market holds and can go off and do some research (and I think I'll probably switch the price range around for the guitar and amp as well). So thanks once again.

Now I'm really just after good pedal suggestions and a list of what I'll need for gigging. It'd be a huge help if someone could suggest some good chorus pedals. Thanks klowntown101 for your pedal suggestions too, I'll definately look into those.
Cheers!
in perth, best music store is kosmic, not much is on their website, www.onlinemusicstore.com.au
musicpark, concept, zenith mega music and sound centre are worth mentioning too

allso whats your bands name? ill look out for them in express magazine
I quite like concept music in wembley, haven't been to kosmic - I'll have to head down and check it out sometime.

We're playing under TFD at the moment, we're keeping our actual name quiet until we're happy with how we sound and then we'll be going headlong in promoting ourselves (watchout xpress!)
Chorus pedals are very picky in my opinion - I've got friends who swear by their Digitech, others by their Boss and myself by Ibanez.

I'd definetly check out the Boss range of pedals - I believe they have two... I'll get some reviews from Harmony Central so you can read into both, Line 6 has a good one from what I hear though I can't really be the judge of that as I haven't used it. Digitech would probably be worth checking out - may as well try everything, and I'm not sure Ibanez makes their pedals anymore or not, the Ibanez I'm getting (but have used extensivly [roughly 20 hours of use]) is used.

Someone else should be able to help you with gigging needs, I'm not really into gigging (because I'm not in any bands that really want to, or don't take it seriously enough to gig).

For a pedal that just is downright useful an Equalizer Pedal is amazing - not necessary but useful - the Boss 10 band EQ pedal is nice for one to work with. As mentioned before a noise gate/noise suppressor would be useful also - especially at higher volumes - but you're amp choice may not need it.

A mobile powersource for your pedals would be nice (Boss makes one I believe) so you don't need a lot of batteries.

A wah would be nice - everyone likes wahs, and they can just open up new areas of tonal flexability, your call on this one - not mandotary by any means.

These just came up but strap locks - don't want your guitar to fall - locking tuners - something to store guitar picks (mic stand, back of guitar, guitar strap) they do make things for that.

That's all I can think of - reviews will come in an edit ASAP.

Digitech - http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/DigiTech/

Ibanez - http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Ibanez/

Boss - http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/

Line 6 - http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Line_6/

Note - just do a find Delay to get to the pedals.
Last edited by klowntown101 at Jun 20, 2006,
Ok i don know why no one has mentioned this yet but i might as well, If your k with having an amazing clean tone and using a pedal to getoverdrive/dist. tone you want why not use a Fender Twin Or Deluxe reverb? There great amps and the deluxe at 22 watts is louder than ****... it keeps up with my band (i use my dads as a backup when i blow a fuse in my full stack) the bastard cuts through and sounds decent !!
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
If you have that much money to spend on a guitar, I suggest you look into some Carvin guitars. They are custom but the prices on a reasonably equiped guitar are rarely more than 1500 USD.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Here's some amp choices for ya:

-Vox AC30: Nice clean and great british-sounding dirt channel. A lot of alt-rock players use this one...

-Peavey Classic series: GREAT classic rock amps, and could be used for your style as well. Awesome cleans too.

-Orange Amps: In general, these amps slay for rock. absolutley slay.

-Marshall DSL/TSL combo: good for higher volumes, but at low volumes they're kinda tinny and trebley

Guitars

Fender American Fat Strat would be great for you. go used and you can get it less than $1000 and hell have enough money for another guitar.
Sweet, thanks guys!
I think I'll spend the next couple of weeks just looking over all your suggestions, reading reviews and trying things out until I'm certain about what I want. I'm sure if I have any questions along the way about anything I'll jump back on and ask.
Definately got a lot to look at now. Thanks again klowntown101 for the info on pedals, that's my bedtime reading set!

Thanks heaps!
Quote by odway
I'm a perthy, but thanks for the offer anyway!

I think I'm going to have to have a think about combo vs half stack. I'm leaning more towards a combo because it takes up less space and I can always attatch a cab if I need something more. Plus I was always under the impression that you could buy cabs that matched heads, so why would you mix and match if you could buy a head and cab that were designed for eachother? Also stage space would be a problem, and I think our other guitarist is planning on getting a combo too, so I wouldn't want to overpower her.

About that, well, sometimes the cabs that come with heads are crap, other times they are just fine but you may want a different sound. The cab that is made for the head is not always the best for you.

Quote by odway

This is actually a hard question because at the moment our tone is really just a reflection of a mix of our influences... and we dont necessarily want to sound like our influences in the long run. I know that after a while, after a lot of experimenting and experience, you begin to establish your own tone and this is what I'm hoping will happen. I could sit down and list all our influences if you like, but I think that thanks to all of your suggestions I have a long enough list of amps now that I can research and try out for myself... when I go to try them out I want to have a very open mind so that I can make an unbiased choice, and I'm sure when I go to try them out there'll be an amp that I'll click with (and that's the one that'll come home with me provided there are no issues )

Same goes for the guitar aswell. I think there's been some great suggestions on here (thanks for the Ernie Ball Musicman guitar info too), I'll go and look into some of those. Once again I think there'll be a certain guitar I'll click with, I just have to go and find it. At least now I know where to start the search and I wont rock up to the shop going "dergh, I want a guitar..."

So really, I think I'm set for my guitar and amp choices now, I atleast know now what the market holds and can go off and do some research (and I think I'll probably switch the price range around for the guitar and amp as well). So thanks once again.

Now I'm really just after good pedal suggestions and a list of what I'll need for gigging. It'd be a huge help if someone could suggest some good chorus pedals. Thanks klowntown101 for your pedal suggestions too, I'll definately look into those.
Cheers!

Yep, just og and try it all. And look up a few luthiers, you may be able to get a guitar built for you for $3000, though I'm not sure. If you know exactly what you want, this may be the best way.

Good luck,

"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
honestly, if you want a good deal on a rock guitar, new fenders just aren't....i dont think they're very good

for higher ranges G&L and Suhr are excellent, but as for you, possibly a Carvin guitar - just tell them what you want and they'll build it, prices are amazing, I'm talking custom specified, anything you want, buillt right there, and shipped within a month for under 1100 lets say (USD)
-Mike
Yeah a custom guitar would be cool^

Honestly, i would put a large portion of your funds to your amp and then the guitar and then the pedals

Orange amps are supposed to be AMAZING. (Like someone else said) They are really REALLY nice. i would go with an Orange head and cab and put that as your first priority since an amp is most of your tone. Then i would pick a guitar and then change out the pickups if need be. Then get your pedals (chorus, delay, EQ, distortion, phaser maybe)
Last edited by JET116 at Jun 21, 2006,
Orange amps are good - for what they do. They felt like a two trick pony too me when I was out browsing new amps (ended up with a Peavey Classic 50/6505+, had a hell of a deal, both are 2x12 and got both combos for $2200 canadian total).

Orange are not bad amps in all regards, but I felt them lacking in the overdrive area, it was like a cheap Fender to my ears. I truthfully think the topic creator would be best off with a JCM800 50 watt head (two channel version) and a 2x12 cabinet, or two of them.

For guitars Fenders are fine (aslong as you test, all companies have guitars that come out poorly. G&L would definetly be worth checking out though - hell of a good guitar.

No problem for the pedal info. TC, just make sure you do the proper research and even with pedals try before you buy.
the JCM 800 is very nice too! Obviously you'll have to get one used (if you're ok with that). Good crunch, im not too sure about cleans though (i wouldnt know much about them so i cant tell you if theyre good or bad).

No matter what you get
Marshall, Vox, and Orange can roar
ok im really not helping here, but you should really look into a prs. they have some amazing guitars for under 3 grand, including the mCcarthy, which is a really nice guitar, and has the warmth of a semi-hollow.

for amps, i personally would go for a orange. I mean try everything out like everyone is saying, but a nice 50 combo would be really nice with a strat. with a prs i would def. go with a marshall JCM 800.

petals, i mean these guys have said my exact suggestions, so yea, but def. try out all the guitars on all the amps with all the effects in a chain.
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Amp: Pretty much any Orange. You can scour Ebay for halfstacks and you can typically find a good deal on them. If you're looking for something high gain that sounds like its own beast, look into the AD series. But I must warn you, the AD series doesn't have an FX loop. If you want something that's high gain and sounds similar to a Marshall, look in to the Rockerverb series. They have plenty of gain and also have an FX loop and reverb. Now if you wanna go for the Marshall route, go with some kind of JCM800. It is easily the pinnacle of the Marshall crunch and you can't go wrong with it.

Guitar: Look into getting a Gibson SG Standard. I must warn you though, Gibson's quality control is all over the place, so try out ANY Gibson you can get your hands on. If you want a thicker, heavier sound, look into some cheaper Gibson Les Pauls and the Epi Elitist series Les Pauls.

Now I would reccomend spending more money on your amp than you do your guitar. I noticed that you were thinking about Schecter and those are amazing guitars for the money and it would give you plenty more money to spend on a good amp.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Well just buy your amp first, guitar comes later

whatever guitar you buy you should prob switch out the pickups to somthing better that more fits your style
want to hear a secret?

Orange amps are overpriced as hell

want to hear another?

so are PRS guitars

although I'm not going to lie, PRS guitars feel excellent and sound excellent too, and orange amps are a good alternative to vox, but truth be told, you're not getting anything near your money's worth with either

www.carvin.com

just look at the guitars for christ's sake - the build quality is FANTASTIC, california carved top competes positively to a custom 22 or 24, and look at the price and customizability
-Mike
The Carvins look very tempting and I'm beginning to consider a custom guitar, but I guess it depends on how much money I've got left after getting the amp. My only niggle with a custom is what happens if something's not right after I've recieved it? I mean, there is a dealer for Carvins in WA, but to get a custom one made and bought over takes time and money, and if something is not right that means even more waiting.

I'm still leaning towards a great amp, and then some sort of Strat... purely because it's easier to get my hands on a strat and there are plenty around that I can try out before buying. As I said (depending on how we're recieved) I'll be getting a third guitar sometime next year. The fender can then become my backup guitar, and I can look into a custom or higher quality guitar to play on for most of our set. This way, if for some reason there's a change of heart along the way I wont have spent a bucketload of time, money and emotion (come on, who doesn't get attached to a special guitar?!) on a guitar that might be better suited to a player who knows exactly what they want and is determined to stick with playing it for a lifetime.

We've always said if we're not well recieved we will keep going at it until we are... but there's still the chance that once we get there we find that we don't like it.
Keeping that in mind, do you think a good amp and then a strat is a good way to go?
Quote by HopePoisoned
want to hear a secret?

Orange amps are overpriced as hell

want to hear another?

so are PRS guitars

although I'm not going to lie, PRS guitars feel excellent and sound excellent too, and orange amps are a good alternative to vox, but truth be told, you're not getting anything near your money's worth with either

www.carvin.com

just look at the guitars for christ's sake - the build quality is FANTASTIC, california carved top competes positively to a custom 22 or 24, and look at the price and customizability

WTF? Orange might be somewhat overpriced, but it's by no means an alternative to Vox. Vox's can really only do mid-gain brit-rock tones but I've heard Oranges do much, much more. I've heard them do everything from soft-rock with very little gain to hardcore with tons of gain and on OD pedal. As for the PRS's, I will agree, they're overpriced. They're great guitars, but not worth $3000.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
^the vox area of gain is what they do best - sure you've heard them do "much more" - but mediocore considering the cash you're paying for those types of tones - and have you heard any representation of good tone in hardcore music?

and i completely agree with you about PRSes, and don't worry about carvins ****ing up - do an online order form, and within in a month you'll have your guitar - just get a quote, there are 2 in my house and i've played TONS - carvin isn't exactly like some boutique company, they need their reputation, and they work hard for it
-Mike
Since when can Vox only hit slightly overdriven tones?

Yeah its what they do best and their damn good at it but come one, its a great amp!

Tell that to the Beatles, Radiohead, U2, and Queen
^none of those tones are that hi-gain

the most you'd hear is probably brain may's lead tones (on some of the stuff), and those weren't excactly exactly ac30s
-Mike
Quote by TGM
About that, well, sometimes the cabs that come with heads are crap, other times they are just fine but you may want a different sound. The cab that is made for the head is not always the best for you.

It's not when the head is made for the cab that it can be bad, it's when the cab is made to cut as many costs as possible
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure