Page 1 of 2
Hello,

Im playing guitar,
I wanted to start playin other insturment, and since I like anything about to guitars
I wanted to stay playin bass guitar, I have no idea why but bass guitar looks boring you bassist players have any reasons why to play bass instead of a guitar or any other instruments?

Best Regards,
Ben.
i was going to play guitar but i just knew so many guitar players so i learnt bass just to be different.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
I'm not going to convince you. you should want to play bass.

bass players create the whole mood of the track, they hold it all together. and low frequencies are much better than higher ones to me. so i want to provide them. i love the sound of an open e ringing out. do you love that sound?
i play bass mainly, and a little guitar, and the main argument i can give for playing bass is that it gives you the power to subtlely shape songs with what you play in a way that a casual listener with no musical experience won't understand and makes songs great for them. In my experience with casual listeners, it is almost impossible for them to identify bass parts to songs because of the low attack of the low frequency bass tones, unless it's something blatantly obvious where the bass is the only thing playing or something. This is totally dependent on what kind of music you play though, because bass takes a very boring backseat to a second guitar in most screamo and pop music, so it becomes very boring to play in those situations when your just pounding out eighth note chord tones in steady rhythm.
both guitar and bass have their own respective advantages.

bass: You can play in a Slap Bass style, which adds a lot of funk (some of the time) to songs, you can do a lot more with 2 hand tapping making the instrument much like a piano, you lay down the low end for a song and groove, and connect the drums and guitar. you can also choose to be a "rythmn" bass or a "melodic" bass, where you could connect the drum and guitar, or be your own lead instrument and lay down the melody.

guitar: you can play a lot more chords (not to say you cant with bass), you sound better with distortion. you can play classical/flamenco guitar (tho there are some variations of those on bass), guitar is traditionally by "rock" standards, more of a lead instrument than bass (unless your playing rythmn guitar).

and versatility wise, tho both are used in SOOO many different genres, the bass is hands down more versatile IMO.

these are just a few differences, take them as you will. i think its unfair for a bassist to tell you to just simply play bass becuz of : this this and this, etc.
i tried to offer both sides of the argument, so im trying to be fair to both bassists and guitarists.
because it takes a lot more work and practice to be considered really good overall at bass then it does at guitar
and the bass is more fun to play
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
yer i started on bass then went to guitar as well. i reckon the main reason to become a bass player is that there is more band opportunity and demand for those who like to slap around the four strings. also an important point to make is bass, i find, is pretty crap when u play alone, but i get even more of a buzz jamming on bass than with guitar, as long as you find a cool group you can do some really interesting stuff, and their are so many different techniques to explore as well. basically its fun, and not as commercial as guitar, although i really love guitar as well but yer give it a go its great
From the sound of your attitude it sounds like it would just be a waste of money for you. Get better at guitar. I love bass, but I guess it's a matter of taste.
Quote by metaljunkie
because it takes a lot more work and practice to be considered really good overall at bass then it does at guitar

yer its true
I think this question is by a guitarist who wants to bait gullible bassists...

Okay, I'll bite.

First off, bass is more than just a rhythm instrument--it plays roles in percussion and melody as well. It is a subtle instrument with great amounts of power--raw primal power. A good bassist doesn't have to play just root notes--he/she is 1) constantly courting with feel and with inventing creative melodies under chord structures (e.g., James Jamerson of Motown, 2) is building tension by NOT playing the root note (playing an A note under a D cord is a nice trick used by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys), 3) is playing rhythm (Les Claypool of Primus), or 4) is a virtuoso instrumentalist (Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Brian Bromberg).

Of late, there is a bssist named Carles Benavent who plays bass in modern flamenco--all those fast runs on guitar, Carles doubles on a fretless bass, with a pick. He comps, adds chords, plays melodies and countermelodies, and adds harmonic chords and slides.

It takes a certain mind to appreciate bass playing. Most people go for the flashy guitar solos blaring at a thousand notes a second, but a few realize what bass does to the ensemble--it ties the drums and guitar parts together in an intricate web. It provides the drive in a song. It makes people move. It moves people.

The electric bass is the foundation of the rock and roll era--not the guitar. The guitar was around much longer, and it wasn't until bass came to the fore that rock and roll became ROCK.

Suggested songs to intently listen for bass:
"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye
"Something" by the Beatles
"Donna Lee" and "Portrait of Tracy" by Jaco Pastorius
"Close to the Edge" or "Roundabout" by Yes
"3/5 of a Mile" by the Jefferson Airplane (live version off of Bless its Pointed Little Head)

Finally, physiologically, bass frequencies are felt in the loins--so bass is also very sexual.

If none of that convinces you, then you are not a bassist at heart.
Haha jaco that gave me an good laugh at the end. The rest of that is true. I decided to become a Bass player because too many people already play the guitar. As already mentioned above, you can get an opportunity to be in a band a lot easier. Like in my school, there was this band that was looking for a Bassist. There are only maybe 5 Bassists in my school compared to about 200 people that I know that play guitar. So I tryed for the bass and got it, unfortunatly I broke my hand a week before a gig. Anyways, I guess if you were meant to play the bass you must really like what the bass is supposed to do before you even start playing it. I myself found myself humming bass parts instead of the crazy guitar solos before I even picked up a bass. Oh, and you must accept the fact that if you're in a band you wont be getting as many "OMG! it's *insert your name here*" as the guitarists.
Listen to some funky bass lines and you'll really want to play
I started playing bass because there's just so many guitarists it's unbelievable. I wanted to try something different, and I thought it would be easy, but it turns out there's a lot to bass that's difficult, unless you have a real feel for it. Bass is needed in songs, it's an important part in nearly all genres, but it doesn't get as much attention for some reason as guitar. There's about 1200 people in my school, and literally everyone owns and plays guitar, whilst I only know of perhaps four bassists including myself. You're always in demand if you're a bassist

But unless you really want to learn, don't bother picking one up, you need a lot of dedication if you wanna be good.
And bass is sexual too.
I play guitar and bass more or less equally, (i couldnt choose just one) i think i may be better at the bass but iv played the guitar longer, i think the bass might be easyer but then again could be becasue i played guitar before.
http://www.last.fm/user/louman61/
My Band

Quote by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"
Quote by Applehead
I'm not going to convince you. you should want to play bass.

Aye, if you dont want to play bass then you shouldnt need someone to tell you to or convince you...the reason you're probably not compelled to pick up a bass is because of the music you listen to...There probably isnt a strong bass presence in the music you listen to therefore you never notice it and think its boring and a shadow of the guitarlines...

Listen to some music that has a strong bass presence and if you feel inspired then pickup a bass, if not then maybe bass isnt your thing...Jaco de Lucia named some good songs, and for more bands with a strong bass presence listen to some Primus, Tool, Mudvayne, Incubus, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Dream Theater, etc....I'll think of more later...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Here's why I picked up bass:
I was listening to some high energy music. It was an intrumental from an Irish folk band called Solas. Now, this band has no bassist what soever, just a rythm guitarist, a percussionist, a fiddler and a singer who also played a bunch of instruments (in this piece he played a digeridoo). But I was really into the groove, even though the lead/melodic instrument, the fiddle, was doing some crazy stuff, too. I said to myself "Sure, I'd love t be able to play a melody like that violinist on my guitar, but I would love even more to be able to hammer out a rythm, like that guitarist and percussionist was doing. And a bass was cheaper than a drum set, so I went with that.
Can you ask for a custom string spacing on JD basses? cuz dayum id take a Sequel, Prodigy or Signature if i could get it to my specs, any day.

you know, if i was rich and all
Quote by Tallman
you get to play on things like this.

http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/sequel.htm

Anyone notice that almost all guitars and basses look the same? There's only a few designs out there; the Strat design, the Tele design, the Les Paul, the SG design and all the Gibson "radicals". Even stuff like the Iceman series looks reminiscent of a Les Paul. All other "out there" designs look to ugly. We need a change!
i play lead guitar, but i like bass my dad used to play it, the bassist has go to be black sabbaths geezer buttler, he plays it like a lead guitar doing solos LOL
Quote by MastaBassist10
Anyone notice that almost all guitars and basses look the same? There's only a few designs out there; the Strat design, the Tele design, the Les Paul, the SG design and all the Gibson "radicals". Even stuff like the Iceman series looks reminiscent of a Les Paul. All other "out there" designs look to ugly. We need a change!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by MastaBassist10

Pick up a pencil and sketch out some designs then!
^I can't think of any that don't end up looking like the same old "Strat" shape. I do love Mockingbirds, though
the guitar looks phallic, basses are bigger than guitars.

Bigger guitar = Bigger penis.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
the guitar looks phallic, basses are bigger than guitars.

Bigger guitar = Bigger penis.

I thought you were more of a guitar player, what, with all the Jaguars. Do you have a Jaguar bass, too?
Quote by mangablade
Can you ask for a custom string spacing on JD basses? cuz dayum id take a Sequel, Prodigy or Signature if i could get it to my specs, any day.

you know, if i was rich and all

They do i believe. have to ask really nicely though.
Quote by MastaBassist10

did you quote me to say that JD basses are ugly, or was that a mistake?

soz about the double post.
Quote by MastaBassist10

the wheel is round, for a reason. the design of basses and guitars have to do with
balance, accessabilty to the strings, and several other contributing factors. thousands of designs have been created, yet the standard designs, continue to dominate the market, for a reason.
I just found it easier to play lol, but the first time i ever saw a bass i though: "WTF, is tht sone kinda angle??" I dunno, might just be me. Also, to be gd at bass u have to play it as it is, and guitarist have trouble doing tht,(the ones i meet anyway), they cant keep the groove goin, then maybe a few fills and stuff, they go and solo like a guitar. My personal opinion is tht guitar and bass are totally different, just cos they look the same dnt meen jack ****. Look at the violin + chello lol. Just stick to guitar. Use the money to get a new pedal or what ever stuff u get, 1111 picks sounds gd

BTW, playin both dnt make u hard or betta at the other one in either way.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by Tallman
did you quote me to say that JD basses are ugly, or was that a mistake?

soz about the double post.

No, they're wonderful, but they still have that old strat shape.
I only play bass to this day because a drummer and guitarist(my friends) came to school everyday for like 6 months saying "Buy a bass so we can start a band". knowing nothing about guitars, I eventually bought one and never look back.

Bass is only boring if you make it boring. Many bands have relatively boring basslines, like the stereotypical bassline. But many bands have more complex and difficult basslines. One may say bass shouldn't do fast licks or solos, but treat a bass like a guitar. if you enjoy guitar, transfer your guitar skills to bass and melt some face.
Well, in my opinion, bass is much more subtle than the guitar.
In as much as low frequencies tend to be 'felt', especially by non-musicians, rather than heard, you can change the whole song's feeling by relatively easy means, considering you learned you stuff(Or you're helluva talented).
You'd have to be an extraordinary guitarist to accomplish this, if you try to avoid jumping stark-naked into someone's face, figuratively speaking.
"What would humans be withouth love?
RARE, said Death"

-Terry Pratchett, 'Sourcery'
If you need convincing you probably wont enjoy it. I play both (though i do prefer guitar) Bass soes have its advantages, its easier to get into a band if you are good at bass because there are a lot less bassists out there. Also Bass really does help make a song and most rock music sounds like **** without good bass playing, plus if you started off playing guitar bass should be relatively easy (at least the basics), versus trying to learn a completely new instrument.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Does anyone know how much money those JD basses cost? They look awesome but so rediculously expensive.........
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
Because bassists are always lazy and they never practice, if you are lazy and want to make a living, go be a bassist in a band, play root notes loudly, making the stage shake.
Page 1 of 2