I've been playing guitar for 2 years now.... I've gone through 4 different teacher(on the 4th right now), due to different circumstances. However, none of them have taught me about chords; probably due to the fact that I've lost the first 3 after a short amount of time, and this is my 3rd week with my 4th teacher(I was out of lessons for a good 6 months).

My teacher just gave me different chord shapes with the root note being on E.. With G being the example, G, G7, Gm, Gm7... And root note on A, (D being example) D, Dm, D7, Dm7.. However he didn't explain keys to me yet, so I don't know how to get what "special" chords(Like G7) are in what key.... So I guess I'm just asking how to find out what "special"(I think they're called extensions?) chords are in what key...

I hope I didn't ramble uselessly.... So please and thanks. =)

And yes, I did search, I couldn't find anything that helped me though... =(
look at the notes in the chord you're talking about.

G7 for example, in a "Root,5th,b7th" 3 note chord, for ease.

the notes you'd get are G, D, F. now find out which keys this can fit in (it helps if you're working with more than just one chord to find out which key, so then you can have more notes and narrow it down better.)

2 ones that could fit, for example, are C major (C is the easiest key to remember, as it has no sharps or flats, its C D E F G A B, same with A minor, the relative minor key to C)
and G myxolydian.

i Chose C major as an example because you'd probly want a Major Key example, and i Chose G myxolydian so if G was youre strong note throughout the song, you'd probly want it in the key of G (G myxolydian)
"3 simple rules to build chords"(you must know the right scale)

1. Note 1, 3, 5 is always used!(C E G) also you can use to octave, 8
2 Use all notes up to the given(G7) then you must use notes 1, 3, 5 and also note 7 (C E G B)
3. Always lower the seventh note so a G7 would be G B D F(where the F# is lowerd)
Um, well, a chord is in a certain key based on what notes are in a chord.
For example, the Key of C has no sharps or flats.
The notes are: C D E F G A B C

Major Chords are made by using a simple interval formula formula: 1 - 3 - 5
read the lesson below for more information on chord formation.

A C chord has has the notes: C E G
A G7 chord has the notes G B D F
An Em has the notes E G B

These notes are all in the key of C, therefore, can be played together.
Check out the other lesson below to learn more in detail.

What notes are in each chord and how to make chords:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/guide_to_chord_formation.html

What chords are in what key:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/what_chords_are_in_what_key_and_why.html

Look harder - maybe in the lesson section of UG?
Forsaknazrael's links are something to check out!

Mangablade: It's unusual to drop out the third, since it's a defining chord note! It gives the chord it's character. Most jazz chords I see are played without the 5
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
i know i know!! i JUST dropped it so he'd have less notes to worry about for exampling!! LOL
Quote by mangablade
notice how i used 1,5,7 for simplicity only

Except that's close to wrong; the 3rd and b7th in a dominant chord are the most important tones, one of which you've left out. Your explanation was lacking in completeness.

A dom7 chord has tones 1 3 5 b7 in relation to the root; for example a G7 chord would have notes G B D F.

-C_Fluff
Quote by Casmin_Fluffer
Except that's close to wrong; the 3rd and b7th in a dominant chord are the most important tones, one of which you've left out. Your explanation was lacking in completeness.

A dom7 chord has tones 1 3 5 b7 in relation to the root; for example a G7 chord would have notes G B D F.

-C_Fluff

wtF? i thought you were SD ... is there something i missed???

yeah i meant to have a b in front of the 7, the rest was explained in my above post.
Casmin_fluffyduffy is SD

Also, I don't see why we should teach something 'wrong' to someone, for sake of simplicity. He'll only get confused later on.. Make them crawl through the depths of theory!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
^ About time. SD = Legend.

As a general rule, you can extend chords as much as you like. A G7add9 would need the first, the third, the seventh and the ninth for example with the fifth being played whether you want to or not. The fifth is never needed in most extended chords unless it is altered ( sharpened or flattened ).
Okay, so in this song I'm writing, I have Cm7 so far... And an unknown chord.. I've looked on chordfind.com and chordhouse.com...Neither have the chord...

|-

Is that a chord or is it just something I made? lol All this theory talk is confusing me.
Yeah, it's pretty much not a chord.
Maybe a mix of Csus2 and Gm...But there's no real structure.
Doesn't mean you can't use, it though. Haha.
How would I solo over it though? Do I just pick a key Cm7 is in and use it?
it's a C7sus2 chord. basically it's kind of ambiguous sounding and hard to fit into a certain key because there's no third, so it's neither major or minor. your best bet for soloing over it is to stay in the key the song is in, but don't play a third over it (if this is in the key of Cm, don't play Eb or E) and instead play the 2 (the sus2 part of the chord) which would be D. Chances are if you're playing this chord, the point is to emphasize the 2 (D). Most of the time, sus2 chords (suspended 2, by the way) are just used as quick ornamentations to regular major and minor chords, or they're just used to create an ambiguous, airy effect.
by they way, a good way to start with chords is to learn the I, IV, and V chords of some common keys. these chords are useful because between the three of them, you can find all of the notes of the major scale for the key they're in. How do you find them? Look at the major scale for each key: the numbers refer to the scale degree. So for C, look at the notes in the key, C D E F G A B. You get C, F, and G. For G major, G A B C D E F#, you get G, C, and D. Lots of songs have just these three chords. By the way, about 7th chords--most often a 7th is added to the V chord. So C, F, G7.
Quote by Garb
How would I solo over it though? Do I just pick a key Cm7 is in and use it?

Find what scale possess the chord tones you're using. For example, if you're using the chords E7, A7, and B7 (a basic I-IV-V progression), find a scale that uses E, A, and B notes, such as the E minor pentatonic, which would work splendidly in this situation.

BTW, I'd call that chord a Gm/C, but I'm not great with chord theory, so don't quote me on that.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Dude, chords just make it easier to play ****. If you have to play a bunch of notes fast, just grab them all at once with your left and play with your right, thats a chord.

Besides, you can make your own chords, what ever is easier for you, you eventually just make em up. If your playing for that long, it should be like second nature to you.
Last edited by Jakrahal at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by Jakrahal
Dude, chords just make it easier to play ****. If you have to play a bunch of notes fast, just grab them all at once with your left and play with your right, thats a chord.

What?
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
What?

What else do you use chords for? You can jump from fret to fret with one finger, or you could just grab all the notes you need to play at once, hold them and play them. Maybe Im putting it wrong, but chords are natural, they shouldnt even be explained.
Not for "playing a bunch of notes fast," that's for sure. Sure, you can sweep arpeggios, which are chords, but we're talking about using chords as a rhythmic backing.
Quote by dudetheman