Our band had practice this past weekend and I feel we have an ongoing problem with our lead guitar player. Whenever we start playing he have the volume cranked up so loud that the band looses all dynamics altogether. His only responce is that everyone else should be louder. When I do finally convince him to TRY turning it down a bit he then complains he doesnt hear himself. AUGGG! Ive tried to explain that soemthime the lead guitar is just quietly in the background till he needs to be but he just doesnt get it. Am I being unresonble or what if anything is there to do about this.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
tell him to turn down volume, turn up mids.
that way he isnt "loud", but he can hear himself through the mix.

and when you hire a lead guitarist, its only natural theyre volume-w.hores :P
well, now the question should be..... when he turns down can you really not hear him or is it just quiet, because nobody want to be playing if they're not gonna be heard (what a waste right?) and i don't know that really everyone should turn up either (unless yer a thrash metal type thing, then you cant get loud enough) i would suggest having him keep his amp cranked and turn down the volume on his guitar a notch to play until the music kicks up so he can play at full volume (thats what i do and it generally works fine)
I agree with blade here, but if he has a song with solos, you should turn up the high too.
Ill try turning up the mids!
The rest of us can hear him just fine when he turns down. He just has problems playing in the background and waiting for his solo. I was thinking he should have a volume pedal or something to let his volume come up for the solos and back down for the other times, but hes convinced he can do it through how hard hes playing. The problem with just using the knobs on his guitar is that he doesnt stop strumming long enough before the solo to reach down and turn it up or if he does the volume drops off SO MUCH that it sounds really akward.
I should mention hes one of my best buds in the world.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
if its a matter of how quickly he needs to get to the knob:
(this works better if thers a rythmn guitarist)
get him to let his last chord before the solo ring, so his right hand is free for a second to make volume adjustments.
Yea Im the Rythym so this is where im trying to get him to just let me carry the rythym so he can worry about the leads stuff.
Should there be a decent amount of down time for the lead guitar between solos or riffs. Or should he be trying to play the rythym along side me. My personal opinion is that he should hang back and wait for his parts maybe strumming hear and there so he doesnt fall asleep! I think it would give the song the clarity and dynamics that we are looking for.
FYI: We are playing classic and alternative songs. Nothing really heavy.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
well you could tell him to drop out a bar or so before the solo for a "quiet before the storm" effect

good excuse to not have to listen to the bloke (jk)

ive had "somewhat" similiar. but its more about my band as a whole (cept me) wants to turn up. (the drums are electric for now, soon to be upgraded to pearl pro reference WOOT).
Lower his volume. If he wants to blast, that's what solo's are for (at least thats what HE thinks) and you can convince him to use an EQ pedal for the solo's, so he can boost his mids enough to cut through Don't use volume pedals.. Unnecessary imo.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Let me guess you the singer too.
This is what has lead my to my frustration. Its hard to sing (and have depth) when your constantly haveing to sing over everyone. Makes it all just sound like noise and not music. Use to have this same problem with our drummer till we played together and he heard how we sound when we just easy up and listen to the music. He was an easy convert though hes only been drumming for 3-4 years now so hes kinda open to advice. Our lead and I have been playing for 11 years now but hes never had any band exposer, so hes a little less open to changing his style from playing a song on one istrument. To letting the other instruments help carry the song.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Thanks elvenkindje I have an extra EQ pedal. Ill definatley try it!
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Quote by dcoyle4040
Let me guess you the singer too.
This is what has lead my to my frustration. Its hard to sing (and have depth) when your constantly haveing to sing over everyone. Makes it all just sound like noise and not music. Use to have this same problem with our drummer till we played together and he heard how we sound when we just easy up and listen to the music. He was an easy convert though hes only been drumming for 3-4 years now so hes kinda open to advice. Our lead and I have been playing for 11 years now but hes never had any band exposer, so hes a little less open to changing his style from playing a song on one istrument. To letting the other instruments help carry the song.

im just the bassist

i just dont want my ear drums popping becuz my band members are so ego driven (and not THAT good either lol)
Wow never would have guessed bass! So has your band overcome the volume issues?
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Quote by elvenkindje
Don't use volume pedals.. Unnecessary imo.

I use one for violining (whatever the term is). I don't have an overall volume knob on the guitar so it's just easier for me to use a pedal for the effect. I do use my knobs to adjust volumes for leads and stuff, though, so in that sense it isn't necessary.

As for balance issues, young musicians often don't realize how much they drown out the other instruments when they try to hear just themselves. Monitors helped this problem with my band... actually, its the rest of the band I want to turn down, so we can have more dynamic contrast (my band thinks the only way to make a background exciting is to turn up.... oy).
Quote by dcoyle4040
Wow never would have guessed bass! So has your band overcome the volume issues?

it hasnt
One thing that came to mind: in my band, we run everything through the PA for easy balancing, and at a small function of a hundred or so people, if the sound is properly mixed I can't hear myself without a monitor. Its a sacrifice for better sound quality, I guess.
We do use a mixer if we have time or feel like setting it up for practice. That makes balancing a snap! Problem is unless we are recording we dont usually hook it up for practice. Really everyone through one PA doesnt that sound a little clustered when someone switches distortion on?
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
where is he standing in the room? tell him to turn his volume to the spot where everyone else is happy with it, and then walk around the room a bit until he hits the loud spot. trust me it will be there. people dont realise how sound works. bassists who stand right next to their bass amps arent even getting one full sound wave because the bass wavelength is so long. frequencies cancel each other out in certain parts of the room, so it may well be that he honestly cant hear it.

although all guitarists are volume *****s. my guitarist has just got an excellent pedal, which gives you some boost for solo's..
Yea we are all standing a few steps in front of our instuments. Maybe we can just move his amp back a few feet from him and that will help. I did go home and try out using the EQ pedal like a boost with the lows turned down and that worked awsome! Well find out this weekend if it works for him. Now if we could just get our bass player away from trying to play lead on the bass (hes a newbee!!lol)
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Standing a few steps in front of your instrument makes it really hard to play..

Glad to hear the eq thing works out for you! I'll hope the best for you this weekend.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Standing a few steps in front of your instrument makes it really hard to play..

That was too easy !!

But seriously, the sound waves are louder when they get to you, than they are where he is standing. thats your problem. sometimes in practice i stand right over the other side of the room to where my amp is...
Hope we have enough room. We have a small cabin on a lake as a practice pad probably only 18'x12' big but not big enough I guess. Were gettin there.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals