Hi all,

I downloaded Audacity today, looks quite good and has a lot more features then Pinacle Instantmusic.

Anyway, to the point, I use a Marshall AVT100. I love the tone i get with it so i decided to finally get my recording times underway. I set it all up, plugged my guitar in, powered up the amp and then used the Emulated line out from the back of the amp to plug into the line in on my PC. Then no matter what i tried, no matter how low i put the recording levels on the PC line in and on Audacity it was still blaring out, i even dropped the channel volume on the amp, still no difference. Has anyone got any tips on how to getthis to work?

The other thing i thought of was following everyon elses technique on here and mic the amp. However, i dont have great quality mics, theyre not complete rubbish, but they aren't exactly brilliant either, though i have used them for vocals in live situations before. So my question with mics is will i still be able to capture my tone?

Erm yeah, so i think that thats about it so any suggestions and/or some general recording tips will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
For micing the amp, you need to be patient and pay attention to placement. Mic placement is the single best EQ you can apply to a guitar during the recording process. Off axis close micing works great. Moving the mic even a small amount really has a drastic affect on the tone. It is trial and error, lot's of guys have their favorite techniques and methods. Part of the joy of learning this stuff isthe trial and error process, don't get frustrated (it is VERY easy to do).

Also, as a side note, the amount of time your ears can usefully work on things such as this is directly and inversely proportional to the volume at which you are working. After too long, your ears fatigue and their accuracy and effectiveness diminish.

About using your amp's direct out to record, it will be difficult to get good tones. I used Boogies for years, and to me, they are the best amps made, but their direct outs are total crap unless used with a device such as the Palmer cab sim or the ADA Micro cab. Speakers are natural EQ devicesand a lot of what you hear in great guitar tones that have been recorded is the speaker doing it's thing.

For direct recording, devices such as the Pod or Tonelab (what I use) are a Godsend.
Hum, if you really want to record your tone, forget your PC line, it sucks. There's alot of solutions to record your guitar, though I suggest, as I use this one, to get something like Jamlab from m-audio, or the fastrack usb pro. It will directly send the audiosignal into your pc without any alterration. You'll just have to plug in your Amp and that's it, you're ready for recording.

But if you choose this solution, you'll have to be sure you wont have any latency problem, you should check your samples rate, if it exceed 15 mili seconds, you wont be able to play in tempo.