Page 1 of 2
OK, just a stupid thread on the things that have kept you from playing guitar. OK, I'll start.... I get the tip of my right index finger chewed up in a food processor and got about 10 or 12 stitches. It drove me crazy because I couldn't play guitar or my sax. Yeah, so I tried to play after a coupla days with the stitches, and I ripped two of them out, so yeah, couldn't play for 10 days and it drove me crazy. But now, I have this awesome scar on my finger that almost doubles as a pick because it's so hard.
Jazzer by day, rocker by night

Gear:

Washburn Lyon- (my mate)- Maverick
Fender Acoustic- (my brother)- Lou
and my favorite

Selmer Hummingbird
Reference 54 Alto Saxophone (my baby)- Apollo
School (and coursework, revision etc)
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Cradle of Filth is gay, and you are absolutely, positively not allowed to be gay in black metal.

It's kind of like being black in Alabama. Don't do it.
school is even worse when your guitar and saxophone are right next to you tucked away in there cases and some old guy is droning about the chemical reactions between this crap and that crap. My fingers itch.

Gear:

and my favorite

Selmer Hummingbird
Sadly not owning a guitar for the first 18 years of my life.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Running out of picks then having to improvise something or go with the fingers
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Sadly I am lazy as all hell, that and not owning a guitar the first 15 years of my life.

And the fact that im posting in the UG forums instead of playing guitar...........
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by Revhain
When my strings get all wacked and I can't afford new ones.

Those strings are getting pret expensive aren't they?

Mine is not knowing enough scales to improvise on more than blues. It gets boring after a while. Oh well, I can always fall back on stairway to heaven.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Those strings are getting pret expensive aren't they?

Its not so much their price tag, I'm just broke most of the time
Quote by horazonblade

Ditto
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
About 12 years ago, at what I consider the peak of my playing, I was involved in a car accident. My only real injury other than cuts was the shattering of the joint in the thumb on my right hand. I wasn't able to even hold a guitar pick for almost a year. Took about 3 years after that until I got enough strength and mobility back that I could at least play well enough for it to be enjoyable. I've never gotten back to where I was pre-accident though.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by horazonblade

ah, me too :/

well, this is kind of a wussy reason, but on my back days at the gym, the machines I use have really rough, messed up grips that drag on and sprain my fingers. It takes me like 8 hours to recover them to 100% I can play during but its more like an annoyance really.

other than that I haven't broken anything in the 10 months i've been playing although i'm sure i will once i get on the blades or succumb to the soccer fad
Quote by Crunchmeister
About 12 years ago, at what I consider the peak of my playing, I was involved in a car accident. My only real injury other than cuts was the shattering of the joint in the thumb on my right hand. I wasn't able to even hold a guitar pick for almost a year. Took about 3 years after that until I got enough strength and mobility back that I could at least play well enough for it to be enjoyable. I've never gotten back to where I was pre-accident though.

that sucks man! how old were you?

Gear:

and my favorite

Selmer Hummingbird
I got severe soft tissue damage in part of my left hand and wrist earlier this year (scenery construction accident at work). It sucked pretty hard.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
I keep getting stupid hand injuries when playing basketball. I sprain my wrists or my index finger on my left(fretting) hand and it hurts like hell to play. I force myself to play for 5 minutes at least since I've played guitar every single day I've owned one and don't want to end the streak. However, my technique goes to **** after a few minutes so I just stop. Of course, I am stubborn and go play basketball the next day or so and reinjure myself haha.

Also, I never had the chance to play a musical instrument I wanted as a kid. My parents just wanted me to do well in school, so I did. When I got to college I decided to start playing. Good thing too since the studio guitar teachers are frickin incredible there. Looking back, the 1st 18 years w.o a guitar kinda sucked haha
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
For me it's just being tired and lazy sometimes. School and camping also keep me from playing. I've never injured my hands to the point that I couldn't play. And spending time trying to figure out how to sneak over to my friend that is a girl's house.
Last edited by Papathurzday at Jun 19, 2006,
Quote by Papathurzday
For me it's just being tired and lazy sometimes. School and camping also keep me from playing. I've never injured my hands to the point that I couldn't play. And spending time trying to figure out how to sneak over to my friend that is a girl's house.

freind that is a girl??? that's pretty funny...are you sure he/'s not your girl friend??? I love your phrasing!! lol

Gear:

and my favorite

Selmer Hummingbird
Going on vacation right as I was about to master an awesome song. Spent the whole week itching to get back and play it.
I once jerked off too hard and broke my wrist and couldnt play for a month
just kidding

I once burned my left hand with a soldering iron right where the neck rests for most chord positions (not really power chords) and single note soloing , couldnt paly for liek a week. Plus homework, work, friends, etc.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Quote by crazynickman
I once jerked off too hard and broke my wrist and couldnt play for a month
just kidding

lmao

I jam my fingers playing bball all the time, and it always seems to be on my fretting hand... and my fingers get peeling and swollen from going lobstering and it just about kills me to bend sometimes

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I tried ripping out a string out of my acoustic with the endpin still in it wrapped around my hand. Ended up getting a couple of nice scars on my hand from that.

School work is my greatest downfall, and the GAS I suffer from.
Broken bone in my right elbow, that but a stop to playing for a few weeks, also dislocated my little finger on my left hand(not at the same time). Smashed my right knee into the ground so i couldn't drum for a while last year.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Wow, it seems like everyone here has gotten severe injuries

I wasn't able to play guitar for a week when I was grounded, very cruel punishment indeed. When I first started, my nail started to seperate from my fingers because of the bends, but it eventually healed up. Nothing as serious as any of you others.

School also takes up a lot of time. My fingers itch when I'm sitting in the back of the room and this guy is trying to teach the difference between nouns and pronouns
Last edited by Jake_Blues at Jun 20, 2006,
the strings on my acoustic never seemed to get softer, so i had to wait a day until i could play anything again. it was like getting a rash, even though i had rock hard callouses. the joints on my fingers hurt when i stop playing bass for weeks at a time then start back again for like a day so i guess im lucky...
Quote by friendoftheend
Running out of picks then having to improvise something or go with the fingers

haha that's the worst. i had nothing, not even change, so i bent a paper clip in a way around my finger so i could play and it sounded horrible.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
GAS I suffer from.

Pardon me for asking, but whats GAS?
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Last time i ran outta picks I cut up my tesco club card into the shape of a pick, it worked pretty well actually! Longest I not been able to play for (I've only been playing about two months) was three days, was my own fault tho - I got a bit drunk & somehow managed to burn two of my fingers with a cigarette
Member of The Darkness fanclub
I was there for SD's cocksucking forum, August 15th, 2006.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
1. Having too much to play that I dunno where to start n end up not doing it
2. My girlfriend (not often) but she's the only person to get me to not play
3. RSI in my left wrist...I kept playing, n that's when my girlfriend got me to stop.....
"DiSuSe"
The sudden craze of pets and tarantulas
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I once managed to break all my strings in one day, when i brought my guitar with me on holiday, whitout bringing extra strings. I ended up playing air-guitar, with the amp on. Somehow it just didn't sound right :-P
when i still used a gig bag instead of a hardshell case which i just got a few days ago, after coming back from guitar lessons i wouldnt feel like taking it out of the bag because i knew it'd be out of tune and it just seemed like too much work because im a lazy ass.

or after breaking a string, not wanting to change it. lol
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by redaxe
Pardon me for asking, but whats GAS?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by SuperAnalytical
I tried ripping out a string out of my acoustic with the endpin still in it wrapped around my hand. Ended up getting a couple of nice scars on my hand from that.

School work is my greatest downfall, and the GAS I suffer from.

Stop eating bean burrito's you won't have such bad gas.

But school is one...wait... ITS ****ING SUMMER!!!! Football was one, I was so scared after watching one of my team mates get is hand completely messed up. The skin on the top of his hand got peeled back.... I saw the bone. Only then I realized him and I were the only ones on the O line that didn't wear gloves, so im buying some for the season.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
i can tell you what HASN'T kept me from playing... i broke my elbow, still played all the time. other than that, school has kept me from playing...stupid schools and their rules and everything...
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Last edited by punk_rocker101 at Jun 20, 2006,
Page 1 of 2