Oi Oi!

Anyone 'ere a fan of Cocksparrer? I haven't been able to stop listening to them for weeks.

Like quite a few bands (Partisans, Sham 69, Cockney Rejects) they changed musical styles later, which itself is no bad thing, but it is when the style of music goes sh-it.

My favourite songs are England belongs to me (ripe for a cover version, I believe), I'll be working, Running Riot, Chip on your shoulder, Riot Squad, Watch your back, Argy Bargy, and last but not least, I got your number

I think that they're a great band in many ways.

* They have brief but interesting guitar solos
* Their singer Collin is great. It's fine sounding, and natural for me to emulate as a singer.
* The lyrics really relate to working class life in Britain
* The choruses are really catchy and singable
* They play great rock and roll style punk with chord extensions and stuff, as opposed to ****ty metal "punk" guitar
* The songwriting is consistently good. This is what makes or breaks a punk band in the long term, and is what, for me, defines ultimate musicianship. Anyone can write a great song, but can everyone write loads of great songs really fast? Cocksparrer have quite a few albums
* Oi! Oi! Oi!
* They formed in 1974! **** me, they were ahead of their time!

Discuss / Agree / Disagree / Flame (but in a good way)

EDIT:

England Belongs to me (2mb) http://phase2records.dmusic.net/
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Jun 20, 2006,
Oh yeah, does anyone have any links to mp3's?

If not, I'll rip them off of the CD tomorrow and upload them online.
Cool mate.

And you, the intrepid reader, who is reading this, should download those tracks.

Why? because they're good songs. Except for Riot Squad, which is very good.

I'll upload England Belongs to me tomorrow as well, and that's a compulsory download.
Brian could you give us a list of chords to help us diversify our punk playing? Maybe give examples of songs they're in etc.
So what you're saying Brian, is that you love the C0CK.......sparrer.

I really love the way they remade the Stone's song "We Love You".
It blows the original out of the water.
The video features Collin dressed up clockwork style, with false eyelashes and enough lipstick to make sargasm look like a neo-con.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
i havent spoken to anyone who doesnt like cocksparrer
Cos im an alcoholic,
And I just love the kick,
Im dribblin my words, got a glazy stare,
Cos im addicted to BEER!
**** Sparrer kicks ass.

Quote by BrianApocalypse
England belongs to me (ripe for a cover version, I believe)

Roger Miret & the Disasters did a cover, but reworked the lyrics so it was called "New York Belongs To Me". It's a good cover, I'll put it on megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=01Z0UD4B

Quote by ss311
Can someone please explain the sargasm situation to me.

He's just kind of strange, and he really, REALLY likes the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
great great band..been listening to them for a number of years know..Very very good stuff...Riot squad is an excellent track
www.street-dogs.com
www.randytheband.com
www.maroonhate.com
Quote by greenday2003
great great band..been listening to them for a number of years know..Very very good stuff...Riot squad is an excellent track

I'm proud of you, you've been here a long time, you kept your greenday SN and arnt ashamed, you can stand up for yourself. AND you love a seminal English Rock N Roll band.

Bow chicka bow wow.
SIZE]
Quote by hardrock1315
**** Sparrer kicks ass.

Roger Miret & the Disasters did a cover, but reworked the lyrics so it was called "New York Belongs To Me". It's a good cover, I'll put it on megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=01Z0UD4B

He's just kind of strange, and he really, REALLY likes the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

That is the most sensible link I have ever seen anyone post. Except for when noobs get directed to google.
So what you're saying Brian, is that you love the C0CK.......sparrer.

That's exactly what I'm saying

Brian could you give us a list of chords to help us diversify our punk playing? Maybe give examples of songs they're in etc.

Yeah, sure mate. Whatever floats your boat. I'll do it on monday or whatever. I've got 2 more exams left on on the Korean War, and one on John Webster's the Duchess of Malfi (that one's good because I can compare Catholics and Protestants to Nazis in the exam, and I know loads of very good words to describe the people)

They're ****ing easy, because they're only about context and historical knowledge. I fall down cause I can't write good essays.
I'm trying to think of what format to use.

I'm thinking about 1.) the chord - 2.) what it does and how to use it - 3.) song example - 4.)riff example - 6.) Chord extensions - 7.) aplication to soloing. - 8.) MP3 example.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Roger Miret and the Disasters can't sing

Worth a hear though, I like the way they did the solo.

That's because Roger is also the lead singer for Agnostic Front.

And from what I've heard about the guitar player, he probably just couldn't figure out the real solo.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I'm trying to think of what format to use.

I'm thinking about 1.) the chord - 2.) what it does and how to use it - 3.) song example - 4.)riff example - 6.) Chord extensions - 7.) aplication to soloing. - 8.) MP3 example.

Sounds good, although I cannot solo :'( I've tried and tried and tried. Can't even do pull my strings entirely.
Quote by ss311
Sounds good, although I cannot solo :'( I've tried and tried and tried. Can't even do pull my strings entirely.

Well, these simple ideas will undoubtably help.
And from what I've heard about the guitar player, he probably just couldn't figure out the real solo.

This is ****ing weird right.

The tab for the solo on UG is ****ing useless, so I figured I?d have a god at it myself, and I got it 95% right in about 5 minutes. **** knows how I did that, I never transcribe anything because I'm too lazy.

Oh, and here it is:

Cocksparrer: England Belongs to Me Guitar Solo:

Chords / Bass underneath the tab?

|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|
|----99------88------66----------|-------------------------------|
|--------------------------99----|---77---66-------6-9-6---6-----|
|--------------------------------|-------------7-9-------9---7---|
     B       A#      G#    F#        E    D#   C#            B         

|--------------------------------|-------------------8-9-11-8----|
|--------------------------------|-----8-9-11-8----9-------------|
|------6-7-9-6------8-9-11-8-----|---9---------------------------|
|---7-------------9--------------|-------------------------------|
    B             C#                 F#          (this lick is not
                                                         Accurate)

|--------------------------------|-------------17-19-17-19b-17---|
|-----8-9-11-8-----10-11-13-10---|----15-16-18----------------18~|
|--9------------11---------------|-16----------------------------|
    B            C#                  F# (this is the hardest bar)

|--------------------------------|
|-19--18--17---------------------|
  F#   F   E
Quote by Subhumans
i havent spoken to anyone who doesnt like cocksparrer

honestly
i'm not a huge fan but they are pretty good..
are they still writing music and if so how have they changed?
I'm not a huge fan of this band. They're good but I'm not a big Oi! fan in general.

But a funny thing happened a few months back. Basically I was at some random persons house party with my mates, and as usual the music was poppy tripe so I went over to see if there's anything good in the cd collection. After browsing through the collection I came across a C0ckSparrer cd so I put iton. After about 10 mins later there was a knock at the door and low and behold it was the C0ckSparrer singer with mate of his.
He lived in the house next door and heard their cd playing and popped round to show his face. Pretty random.
I listened to them like, 2 years ago. Then I grew out of them, and now I barely listen to punk.

They're very very catchy though.
i love them. just wish i was in england to catch a gig. a mate keeps bragging about their shows. disappointing... im fond of the song "Get A Rope"
Quote by UraniYum
i don't care if this is closed, but i'd really like a blink182sgirl appreciation thread of some kind.

Quote by Iliemyfaceoff
well arent we just a _______ iunno

yes we are

"Punk aint no religious cult, PUNK MEANS THINKING FOR YOURSELF" - Jello Biafra