I was playing around with my acoustic yesterday, and I found a weird sound I could make from holding dow one fret on the g string and another 4 frets away on the high e (ex: g=4th fret, e=7th fret) I can't get it on any other string with the same combination, does anyone know if this has a name or not?
Dickless.
It's an octave. You get the same if you play a powerchord without the middle string.
omfg
the downfall of UG...........

Quote by obey_yourmaster
Who the heck is Ronnie James Dio? I vote Bruce
!

Quote by Stimpomatic
omfg

Sorry, not everyone has the mastery of guitar technique and vocabulary you do.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Sorry, not everyone has the mastery of guitar technique and vocabulary you do.

Pwnd
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by YoungPilgrim
Pwnd

lmao
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I was playing around with my acoustic yesterday, and I found a weird sound I could make from holding dow one fret on the g string and another 4 frets away on the high e (ex: g=4th fret, e=7th fret) I can't get it on any other string with the same combination, does anyone know if this has a name or not?

wow you say emo people are sad cuz there music sucks... at least they know what octaves are, jerkass
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
To get the same results on other strings, you move two frets down instead of three.

The G string's notes are placed differently simply becuase there is no "empty fret" between the two notes prior to the open G (E-F) on standard tuning.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
no its not an octave, I know what that is, it's something different. It sounds aritificial, i think it might be coming from my guitar specifically, sort of a rattling (not fret buzz) mixed with a pinch harmonic. Maybe I should get my guitar checked out. And I tried it on another acoustic today, it didn't make the same sound, just a basic octave. Anyway it sounds cool, I'll record it if I can and post it up here.
Dickless.
If the sound is kind of wavy, then it could be that one of the two strings is out of tune. In that case, the sound you're hearing is called dissonance(sp?).
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by MetalMilitia212
no its not an octave, I know what that is, it's something different. It sounds aritificial, i think it might be coming from my guitar specifically, sort of a rattling (not fret buzz) mixed with a pinch harmonic. Maybe I should get my guitar checked out. And I tried it on another acoustic today, it didn't make the same sound, just a basic octave. Anyway it sounds cool, I'll record it if I can and post it up here.

Are you sounding a harmonic on the B string that you're trying to mute?
Hi, I'm Peter