I have found a summer job that could maybe lead me to earn about 1000 dollars by the end of summer.

I want a Gibson Les Paul but that is kind of out of my reach still.

If i get an Agile AL-3500 and change the pick-ups to Gibson pick-ups.... will there be a huge sound difference??

I know there will still be physical differences, and also the electronics, but wouldn't the sound be almost completely the same?
It'll sound close, but won't quite sound exact because of wood and so on.

There's a thread somewhere about a guy comparing his Gibby LP to an Agile, search it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i cant see why they wouldnt sound the same, but gibson pickups are a ripoff i wouldnt buy them
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
The wood, I believe, is the same. Or close, but does the wood affect the sounds alot?

What I meant by Gibson Pick-ups is just put the same pick-ups the Gibson Les Paul Custom uses, but now that I think about it mayb I will even better pick-ups that suit my style better.
^Yup, pickups that suit your style would be the way forward.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Honestly, the sound will sound pretty close, even on a kickass tube amp, specially after dialing your effects. I use my 3000M, which has the same 3/4" maple cap as the 3500, for my band practice because I don't have to worry about it getting dinged.

The main differences are: my Gibson has superior PUs, wood, finish and very sexy, as in the correct cutaway shape and none of that goofy headstock. The most obvious and biggest difference is that 10, 20, 30 years from now, the Gibson would at least retain it's value if not appreciate (which it probably will) while I'm pretty sure my Agile will just be one of those inexpensive LP copies.
^But for somebody who's just looking for that Les Paul sound, hes gonna get almost every bit of it with the Agile. I cant wait to order my 3000 tommorow. Just wish they had as sexy finishes as the Gibsons do.
Thanks for all the help. Keep the feedback coming.

Ps. the only thing i don't like about the other thread is that An Agile-3500 is way different.
$1000 at the end of the summer could easily get you an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom. It will sound nearly identicle to a Gibson. If not better in some cases. It already has Gibson stuff in it. USA Pickups, wiring, and hardware. Even the pickups are Gibson's with a different name. It's every bit as good as any non-custom shop Gibson. I suggest you go try one out-they're great guitars. And you'll be able to afford it.

The AL-3500 I'm sure is a great guitar, but for $1000 you can get much closer to the true Les Paul sound. The Epi Elitist will be so close to any Gibson that you won't hear a difference. You really don't need "Gibson" on the headstock to have a great Les Paul.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ Seconded!! Those Elitists (Custom and Standard Plus) are better than their namesake Gibson. I'd take on any day (if I had $1400 laying around, cause that'w what they cost up here lol).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
^$1200 is the starting bid. And that's a vintage Gibson LP. It will probably go for $2000+ to some collector.

For $1000 The Epi Elitist LP Custom is the way to go.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
interesting....

well I'm still not positive on how much money I will have to spend.

How much does a shop charge to replace two pickups??
Quote by Xenn99
^$1200 is the starting bid. And that's a vintage Gibson LP. It will probably go for $2000+ to some collector.

For $1000 The Epi Elitist LP Custom is the way to go.

Wrong. Its a 1960 Classic reissue. Its not a 1960's guitar.
Theres some with BiN prices for 1250-1350.
If you negotiate, you may get the shipping included.
Crunchmeister wrote a great Gibson LP vs Agile review. STOP THESE THREADS. Use the search option for god sake.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by Mike1109
Crunchmeister wrote a great Gibson LP vs Agile review. STOP THESE THREADS. Use the search option for god sake.

Just making a point, there MG boy.
Yeah I'm cool let's judge a person's knowledge on their amplifier.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by Mike1109
Yeah I'm cool let's judge a person's knowledge on their amplifier.

OK, there slinkie boy
Quote by long gone
The wood, I believe, is the same. Or close, but does the wood affect the sounds alot?

What I meant by Gibson Pick-ups is just put the same pick-ups the Gibson Les Paul Custom uses, but now that I think about it mayb I will even better pick-ups that suit my style better.

there both mahogony...but not the same wood...and yeah wood affects the tone and sustain a ton...the wood is what gives the les paul its "les paul" sound. i'm sure rondo's quality of wood is slightly lower then gibsons...but who knows...

as for the pickups...the guy who said gibson pickups are crap is dumb and probably just hates gibson...burstbuckers are great pickups...but i'd suggest a set of alnico II pros...you can get a pair for about 75 bucks.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
long gone, just to recap, you will not be disappointed with the 3500, even several years from now. Because of the cheap price, you won't think nothing about changing out the pickups, bringing it anywhere, little scratches/dings, etc. If you lose or destroy it, you won't feel like mauling somebody.

The other side of the coin is that if you went with the Gibson that you like, you will be happy that (5, 10, 20 years from now) you saved up and bought a kickass guitar. To put this in perspective, at least you will be happier with the Gibson than you'll be with an Agile, Epi, or any other LP copy, down the road. It's like owning a MIA Fender Strat compared to say a Strat copy or a Gibson mahogany body (SG) instead of a Washburn.
Epiphone Elitists are very nice guitars, very close to Gibson. They are slightly better than high end Agiles, but only slightly. Overall, the two are comparable instruments. However, Elitists are almost twice the price of Agiles. Just to give you a comparison, an Agile AL3500 with Seymour Duncan pickups costs $630. The Elitist Les Paul costs $1,149.

Agile wins.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jun 19, 2006,