hello lads!

well im at that stage in guitar playing were i want to learn about theory and that sort of stuff. but do i really need to learn how to read music? or will it not effect my theory learning? ohas it even anything to do with theory learning!

thanks.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
It isn't necessary, but it does help. Any kind of "real" music setting is going to use standard notation. You can get away with it on guitar because we have found a very good system of natation called tab. If you want to get any kind of help on the UG, you need to be able to read tab, as everything on UG is written in tab. You should learn how to read rhythm though and time signatures and tempos and such though.
well yeh i can read tab perfect and ive a great musical ear so i usually listen to the song to get the rythm and tempo
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded
well yeh i can read tab perfect and ive a great musical ear so i usually listen to the song to get the rythm and tempo

You can do that, but with sheet music, the rhythm and tempos are already there, saves a lot of trouble.
I don't think it's necessary at all for guitar but it may help your understanding of music theory in general. I think it's not used for guitar simply because the guitar is so much more versatile, it's hard to express everything in standard notation (pre-bends, tremolo picking, hammer-on's and pulloffs, various types of harmonics, palm muting etc). Though many tab books have symbols for most of these things, it's too busy and there is too much information to interpret for it to be read and played classically ala the piano (where all you have to worry about other than the notes is sustain). It does have the benefits of timing and the way keys are kind of setup in terms of sharps and flats so it may be worth looking into.

Bry
I personally think the powertab/GP format is the best for guitarists. It was tab. It has real notation. It has rhythm. You can also screw around with tempo, time signature, and key signature.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I personally think the powertab/GP format is the best for guitarists. It was tab. It has real notation. It has rhythm. You can also screw around with tempo, time signature, and key signature.

Almost forgot about that, I agree. Especially if you're new and have a hard time grasping the rhythm, plus alot have all the other instruments in there. And if they're just learning theory and such you can click on chords and it will name them, name notes etc. It sucks Guitar Pro isn't free but Power Tab is pretty good in itself

Bry
Quote by Zeds.Ded

But, especially in a "classical" music setting, you won't always have a recording or anything of the song, and you're not going to be able to have someone show you how to play it/write it out in tab for you.

This goes for jazz bands and stuff too...