Ello. I've got a Crate GLX65 solid state 65 watt amp. While it's loud enough to play over drums, I feel like I'm pushing it a little harder than I'd like to be.

I'll be playing small gigs in the near future and was planning on upgrading in power and quality. I'd like to get an all-tube head and cab. I've heard good things about the Peavey Valveking head which is 100 watts, but I have to say I'm skeptical about a 100 watt all-tube amp for under $500.

As for the cab I think I'm going to buy the B-52 AT-412. Once again I was skeptical of a new company (I think it is, at least?) at such a low price, but after playing through it and the other cabs at the store, I think it suits my style and budget. I was thinking of buying the cab now and running it through my GLX65 external speaker jack temporarily until next paycheck when I can buy a tube head.

Ok, so here are my questions:

Are there any possible problems with running a cab through my amp (I'm not sure of the ohms on my amp)?

Should I be worried about buying such a cheap all-tube head or are there any other heads (or cabinets) I should consider?

I might have to buy the cab and head from two different stores. Would it be necessary to bring in the cab to shop for a head? Or will a head that sounds good through a cabinet at the store (around the same price as mine) sound good when I get it home and hook it up with mine?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house
I don't know why I call him Gerald
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse
don't worry about the B-52 cab, i have one and use it with my Mesa F-100 head (tube head). It handels bass very well. I'd seal up the back though because it tends to sound better after you do that. The cabinet is 8 ohms and chances are the head will have an 8 ohm output, i'd be about 99% sure it would.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If the ohms line up and you actually have the line out jack for an external cab, it should be fine.

What music do you play? There's probably a better suited amp than a ValveKing.

I wouldn't lug a cab into the store, unless you really want to go through all that work.
B-52 has the ST and AT heads which are fairly cheap. Talk to JimiMan1535 as he has a B-52. With a tube amp, i doubt you'd need a 412. A closed back 212 should do the trick.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Mascot
If the ohms line up and you actually have the line out jack for an external cab, it should be fine.

What music do you play? There's probably a better suited amp than a ValveKing.

I wouldn't lug a cab into the store, unless you really want to go through all that work.

The Crate is 4 ohms. The cab can switch between so the ohms will match up.

Well that's the thing...I'd like something versatile. For show's I'll be playing more punk or metal. But ideally I'd love to also get some good blues or more classic crunch sounds out of it. I'll be using a Strat and SG through a Boss GT-6 multi-effects pedal. The only reason I threw the ValveKing idea was because its so cheap. Which makes me wonder whether a tube amp with such a low price tag is worth it.
Ya check out the B-52 tube heads if you want an all tube stack for not too much. I got the $700 one and I am loving it. It is great for rock and up to metal. The cleans are pretty good too. I hear if you retube it, the amp totally transforms into something even better. I haven't done this yet. I don't know about the cheaper B-52's I haven't played them yet. They make a 100 watt head for $600 (ST-100) and a 60 watt head for $500 (ST-60???). Not sure of the second model. Those are both tube heads.
I have heard good things about B-52 cabs. Go to the store and try out the head with a cab similar to the B-52 (open/closed back, same speakers, and 4X12)
Ok. New question. My friend is upgrading his bass rig and his head is rated at 4 ohms, but the cabinet he's looking at is 8 ohms. Eventually he'll buy another cabinet with 8 ohms which will match the ratings up (I think?). Is it possible to run it through this way temporarily? What are the negatives? Will it be damaging? Or will it just lose quality and volume? And if so how much?

and thanks to everyone posting
dude, you won't find anything in the ways of all tube half stacks for under $500. at least not anyting good. maybe you could swing a cavin legacy 2x12 and peavey classic 30 head (used), but other than that...

save up another hundred and look into a used peavey XXX combo or a used peavey 5150 combo. they've been going for around $500 on ebay lately.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
dude, you won't find anything in the ways of all tube half stacks for under $500. at least not anyting good. maybe you could swing a cavin legacy 2x12 and peavey classic 30 head (used), but other than that...

save up another hundred and look into a used peavey XXX combo or a used peavey 5150 combo. they've been going for around $500 on ebay lately.
No, I didn't mean $500 for the whole half stack. The cabinet is already accounted for ($400). I was talking just a head being around $500. The ValveKing is a 100 watt all-tube head but for half a grand, it's hard to believe that it will be of any quality.
did you already buy that cab? imo it sucks. you should go for a legacy 2x12. around $350 and it pwns mesa cabs. great peice of work. that way you have another $150 to put towards the head and could maybe get a peavey 5150 combo and run the speaker out.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

No I haven't purchased anything yet. I'm still open to anything. Will 2x12 be able to hold up to regular gigging? I'll definitely look into it, thanks
indeed. the thing is great. i've played numerous mesa cabs, and i hear the legacy is a mesa cab on steriods. and the mesa cabs pwnd. namely the closed back 2x12s. sooo punchy. and if you get a 6505 combo you get great metal, hard rock, and classic rock tones. throw a chours on the clean and you've got a helluvan amp. plus its a 2x12 combo so you have 4 speakers going anyway.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Nirvana89_94
Ok. New question. My friend is upgrading his bass rig and his head is rated at 4 ohms, but the cabinet he's looking at is 8 ohms. Eventually he'll buy another cabinet with 8 ohms which will match the ratings up (I think?). Is it possible to run it through this way temporarily? What are the negatives? Will it be damaging? Or will it just lose quality and volume? And if so how much?

and thanks to everyone posting

It will be fine, as long as the amp doesn't put out more than the cab can handle it will be fine. Supposedly if you run a lower impendence into a cab it will give you a softer more rounded tone, but I can't really notice a difference.
Head for $500? Try out a JCM900 4100. You can get a great crunch out of it, the clean channel is fine and if you OD the clean channel, you can probably get blues. I wouldn't know if the OD channel can do blues.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)