Alright, I know we here at the bass forum get these kinds of questions all the time, but I'd like to know.

Alright, lately I've been looking for a new bass. I've been practicing with my teachers 5-string, and I really like the feel. So, I think I'll buy a 5-string. So, now I have 2 options. I was thinking about buying a bass like my teachers (Spector 5-string. Its custom made), and that will be like, 600-700 dollars (Canadian). Pricey I know, but its an option. Or, I have the chance to buy a 5-string off of the bassist from I Mother Earth. Its an OLP, and its around 300. I've played an Ernie Ball rip-off for about a year and a half now, so I'll be used to the feel of an OLP. But I guess my question is, is an OLP worth it? Should I spend my money on it now, or save up for the Spector?
In my opinion, OLPs are insanely good for their price. But i guess it depends what you want, which feels better to you.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I would save up for the Spector and maybe sell your old bass so, if you already have 300 for the OLP, you'll be that much closer.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
I say save. Why go for the alright stuff when you can wait a little and have it so much better?
Quote by friendoftheend
I would save up for the Spector and maybe sell your old bass so, if you already have 300 for the OLP, you'll be that much closer.

I could never sell my bass. Its my first. Close relationship with it. I think most of us here would understand that
Quote by Bassilo
A *CUSOM-MADE* Spector for 700 CAD? The Euro series aren't custom, yet they cost above $2000 US...

That just seems crazy to me.

I have a Spector, and it's one of the nicest basses I've played. I would say go for the Spector, but I've never played an OLP.
Quote by deadhead313313
Or, I have the chance to buy a 5-string off of the bassist from I Mother Earth.

You know I Mother Earth's bassist? They're my favorite band.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Quote by deadhead313313
I could never sell my bass. Its my first. Close relationship with it. I think most of us here would understand that

my first bass is in pieces in my garage

my second, however...
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Bassilo
A *CUSOM-MADE* Spector for 700 CAD? The Euro series aren't custom, yet they cost above $2000 US...

Sorry, should have made that clearer. His is custom made. I was getting one similar to his, but not custom
I say save up and go for the spector, it will be a better dessision in the long run
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
As UG's official OLP advocate I have to say one thing....Spector > OLP every single time.
Quote by friendoftheend

i would do anything for a spector....
Save for the Spector, without a doubt. You'll be much happier. OLP's aren't bad...for their price. But Spectors are pretty much legendary, amazing quality, they sound great, super easy to play, not to mention they're beautiful. It's worth the extra money.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Spector... I almost bought a bought a Euro 5-string awhile back. Mmmm, Black Cherry. I would still like one.... along with a Modulus Quantum 5, Rickenbacker, and SR 505.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS