Hey guys, i have been playing electric guitar for the last 3 years and i wanna take up bass to. But i am having trouble finding a cheap bass. I am at an intermmediate level on guitar but i just wanna get a real cheap but half decent bass to muck around and play on. My main influences are the kinks, the jam rhcp, libertines, foo fighters, muse, futureheads and arctic monkeys and i am playing music based a lot around these kinds of artists. Basically, i like punk, indie, modern rock and funk. Now for the bit i hate, my budget is a mere £150 which is about $250 i thinkand it is a very strict budget as i intend on getting a bass in a couple of weeks.

Could you guys suggest a bass in that range suited to my styles basically. Thank you very much for your help, really appreciate it guys!!
Last edited by bettyswollox at Jun 19, 2006,
At the moment i have been looking at the peavey milestone 3 and 4 but i'll give ibanez a look.
legit, yes. crap, also though.

OLP, Ibanez, Yamaha..some will say fender squir but i dont like them
How about the peavey then, i mean i'm not really liking the setup and look of the cheap ibanez.
I'm not a fan of Ibanez either, just giving it as a suggestion. you might like them.. what avout the OLP's? Yamaha? I'm not a fan of Peavey. what about second hand?
Well i did find the yamaha rbx170 which seems to get very good reviews everywhere and seems well setup and looks good. Also, its a brilliant price. How are they?
Sorry to do this, but i am pretty settled on the peavey milestone 3 if anyone has any opinions on it.
r u goin to play with a pick, or your fingers, i recomend ibanez to all others, if u like slapping and popping the OLP is really good for that, aint the best finger bass, but ibanez r good all around basses
Oh right i didn't realise, i will be using both and slapping and popping will definately come into it. I'll have another look at the ibanez ones, but i heard their cheaper ones aren't good.
Quote by Jonny182
r u goin to play with a pick, or your fingers, i recomend ibanez to all others, if u like slapping and popping the OLP is really good for that, aint the best finger bass, but ibanez r good all around basses

OLP-MM2/3s are great for fingerstyle as well as slapping. They also have a distinct, thumpy, pick tone. I reccomend these basses. I used to play a MM-3 (five string) as my main bass for more than a year. It only let me down once.....when I slammed it into a wall.
Wow, i'd never heard of OLP before but i had seen their style, i knew i recognised it. I really like them. I am now thinking about saving up for a month or so to get the extra cash for an OLP. I recognised the style and i've been looking for that type for ages, thanks for telling me about them.
^Yeah, they are really wonderful basses. I absolutely loved the neck on mine. I traded my first six string for it a long time ago, I'm working on replacing it's bridge with a BadAss II and putting new tuners on it right now. I hope yours serves you well.
Quote by bettyswollox
Wow, i'd never heard of OLP before but i had seen their style, i knew i recognised it. I really like them. I am now thinking about saving up for a month or so to get the extra cash for an OLP. I recognised the style and i've been looking for that type for ages, thanks for telling me about them.

Stingray style! Buying one next monday.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by bettyswollox
By the way, stupid question really, but what kind of artists and bands use OLP basses?

None really. You'd see them using a Musicman Stingray, the 'proper' version of that type of bass.

Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Ya i wish i would have looked into OLP when i was looking for my first bassall those years ago, ive heard really good things about them lately.
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
Quote by bettyswollox
Ok what kind of bands use the Musicman stingray than. Sorry for this?

Sure no problem.

I know of a few... Flea from RHCP used to use one, still does on occasion, Misery Signals, Converge, Louis Johnson, loads of people really...

The Stingray is one of the most widely used basses ever, possibly just second to a Jazz Bass. But you definitely wouldn't be going wrong.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Last edited by Nikklaus at Jun 20, 2006,
Good stuff. Flea is my favourite bassist and one of the main influences for me taking up bass as well as guitar. I'll have to save a little more for one but its looking good for the OLP.

Cheers guys!
A Good Website For Great Offers, Often Bass starter Packs (Bass, Amp, Case, Cable) just go to www.thomann.de and navigate from there. its a german firm but they are reliable and delivery is a mere £10 and that leaves you £140 To Spend On Akit Which Is Plenty There. Good Luck With Your New Bass!!!!
Be The Bullet Not The Target
If you kow where to look you can get a Squier J-Bass for under £150. That's what I did. Do you live near Barnet? If so, go to The Sound Garden. I love my J-Bass - really really versatile.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by khama_Suter
A Good Website For Great Offers, Often Bass starter Packs (Bass, Amp, Case, Cable) just go to www.thomann.de and navigate from there. its a german firm but they are reliable and delivery is a mere £10 and that leaves you £140 To Spend On Akit Which Is Plenty There. Good Luck With Your New Bass!!!!

I'm not gonna get a starter pack as i have played guitar for three years and i have a good enough ear and the knowledge to know that they aren't really worth it. However, could you suggest a good amp, for under £130 generally with a good clean and if possible an overdrive/distortion. Once again i know i a mvery limited by my price range.
Cheers.
Quote by Felkara
If you kow where to look you can get a Squier J-Bass for under £150. That's what I did. Do you live near Barnet? If so, go to The Sound Garden. I love my J-Bass - really really versatile.

No, i don't live near barnet, cheers though.
Sorry Im Not Sure Ive Only Been Playing 6 Months And Im Currently Saving For A 5 String But If You Explore The Site Your Almost Gaurenteed To Find What Your Looking For. Keep Rocking!!!
not bad, you cant really ask for much more on your budget, and looking at it, id say your not gunna get much more value for the money you want to pay. if you serious about the bass you should probs save for a little longer and then get your head into some half decent gear that will let you start and keep you set up unil you have enough for something else like i did.
While i am here do you guys mind if i just ask one more question. Whast is the equivalent to a guage 9-42 on electric guitar. Something quite light but is standard fit on a bass? The reason i ask is because i presume i would have to get new strings as stock ones are usually quite crap. Also, any decent suggested brands?

I am really sorry for asking so many questions but it makes it a whole lot easier to ask 'em all in one.

Cheers guys again, you've all been a massive help!!
^You'll probably want .45-.110s. Also, I can't believe I forgot this but, www.rondomusic.net they have great basses for a low price, if you don't mind the usual J and P bass copies.
look at vintages range of basses. not too bad for the price
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Felkara
Do you live near Barnet?

heh heh, i live in Mill Hill...

i would second thomann.de great site, good prices...

always ebay

sound control.co.uk, they are located under Virgin Megastore on Oxford St by Tottenham Crt Rd
Quote by Applehead
heh heh, i live in Mill Hill...

i would second thomann.de great site, good prices...

always ebay

sound control.co.uk, they are located under Virgin Megastore on Oxford St by Tottenham Crt Rd

I have been up there and played guitars there a few times, when i get time i might check it out. Of course there is also denmark street too, with guitar shop after guitar shop.