Yeah, I went out and bought a JB to replace the 500T in my Epi. Les Paul. It seems very dark and muddy, and somewhat metalish. I'm trying to get the tone close to the Dookie era of Green Day (ducks). I read a thing here about adjusting the pole pieces and whatnot, I did that, but it was still very muddy. I turned the gain on my amp (SS Peavy), down, the mids about half and the treble about half, with bass kinda on the low side. What have I missed here?
It's probably the fact that the wood in the Epi (being somewhat low end) is naturally dark sounding.

Try messing with the amp settings some more, and also mess with the knobs on your guitar.

Just experiment with it. If you can't de-mud it, then my guess is that it's the wood.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I have a JB in my LP, did the pole piece adjustments, and have my amp settings with bass at 3 or 4, mids at around 8, and treble at around 6 or 7, and I play just about all kinds of music and it works.
One thing I thought might cause some of the darkness, is the treble bleed cap I have, I think its .0001uf, and I put it in after I installed the 500T to take care of the treble bleeding off when I turned the volume down. That, and I dont have a tone cap installed.
What kind of epi LP do you have. I mean if its a special II and you put in a JB it probably wont all of a sudden make it sound good, and also probably a waste of 70 dollars. Also if its in the neck position then it will probably sound a ton muddier then your bridge pickup. If its giving you all too much trouble though, just take it in to your local music shop and have someone help you out if you dont quite know what youre doing.
Yeah, it's not too bad of a guitar to replace pickups in, although you could do better.

I suggest getting another pickup. The JB sounds like it has too much output for you. It's rated at an almost scorching hot 17K so it's quite possible this is so.

Maybe something like this?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/bibrpiwivito.html
Seems punchy enough to get your Dookie across.
Eh, but the reason I got it, was a buddy of mine has one, and has perfect tone, close to what I'm looking for, and BJ uses a JB for the older songs like the ones off of Dookie.
If it's too close to the strings it will sound muddy. Move it away from the strings some. It's a pretty bright sounding pickup, so I don't see why it would sound dark if you have it adjusted right. It might also be your amp.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
You did the pole adjustment like it was mentioned here? I did it to a JB I had and it did sound better but still not great. You might consider changing the pots as well. I read somewhere the JB was wound with 250k pots in mind (I think).

Honestly, I found the JB to be way overrated.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
The whole "JB pole-adjustment" thread was about trying to fix the JB's ridiculous amounts of treble. If you are getting a muddy tone, raise the "e" "B" pole pieces and lower the rest.

Quote by Mudder
Honestly, I found the JB to be way overrated.

I never use the one that came in my S-1 Blackjack.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well I got the dark tone to go away, but now it still has quite a bit of gain. I turned the gain on the amp down almost all the way, but there is still alot more gain than I've heard out of a JB.
Quote by dan2002
Well I got the dark tone to go away, but now it still has quite a bit of gain. I turned the gain on the amp down almost all the way, but there is still alot more gain than I've heard out of a JB.

It is a pretty hot humbucker.

Try lowering the whole pickup.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^Not always cause your volume knob rarely keeps your tone the same when you lower the volume.

Usually there's a big loss in treble when you turn down the guitar's volume; Good for clean sometimes, but in this cause it would actually make the tone darker.
Exactly, turning the volume on the guitar down does help keep some tone. I tried turning the post gain on my amp down and the volume on my guitar up, but that doesnt help much. I know it can be a hot pickup, but man, the gain. I tried lowering the pickup, but it brought back some of the darker tones, I found the perfect spot height wise, I think.
The pre-gain should be what you're lowering.

The post-gain is just the amp's volume.
Eh yeah, I figured that much, but after the pre gain gets below 2 the tone just drops off completely.