ok so right now i have 225$ and im trying to decide what i should do

A, get a gibson dirty fingers pickup put in my 250$ epiphone sg, i would also get locking tuners and set the intonation, it would cost 250$ to get it done (new pickup, locking tuners for all strings, and set intonation)

or

B, wait until i have seven hundred dollars and buy the gibson sg my guitar store has,
if i did that i would probably be waiting till christmas maybe next march or something

help??
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Ok, A - don't put a good pickup in a poor guitar, it will only sound as good as the wood of the guitar and fretboard let it. Granted, if you have one of the G-400's, which are about 400 or 500, then it's ok, that's not a bad guitar. B - Don't buy an SG Special, they're a waste of money compared to a Standard, 300 dollars less for a substaintially worse guitar, worse pickups, worse wood, worse finish, tuners everything.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Save up...buy a nice Epi Elitist SG arent they around $650 for the SG?
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
i think its an sg special, its not shiny like most guitars i know that sounds dumb but thats the only way i can really describe cause i've only played it once

im only fourteen and i really don't wanna wait another nine months to two years to have enough for a real gibson.

will it really sound bad getting a good pickup in a semi okay guitar (epiphone g-310)

i heard on musiciansfriend that it won'y make the guitar sound as good as a gibson but it will bring it up by more than half
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Don't dump all that money into a cheap guitar like the g-310. I had a similar situation when I was deciding whether or not to upgrade my strat copy. In fact, it sounds like you're looking at the exact same guitar I bought instead of upgrading my guitar. It's a Gibson Faded SG Special right? $689 american dollars? They come in faded cherry and brown. They are good guitars, but the neck is fat so if you don't want a fat neck you should steer clear.

What kind of music do you play? A Schecter C-1 Classic might be a better choice for you, unless you're really into the SG body shape.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
i try to play a lot of everything like rush, the mars volta, some emo/screamo. I'm best at just improvising solos though

i dont know why but i really like tom delonges tone even if his music sucks, i was hoping to find a guitar that could sound similar to that so i was hoping using the pickup he uses would be good, but i really like the sg shape so i was hoping just putting that pickup in the guitar i have now would be a good idea... any ideas?
Quote by MightyAl

]
What amp do you have, a new guitar through a crappy amp will still sound like crap.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Well if you're looking for Tom Delonge's tone..You must know that his Dirty Fingers is placed in his custom signature model Gibson ES-333 which is a semi-hollow guitar- That affects the tone a great amount even though he puts foam inside the chambers to try and prevent the massive amounts of feedback prone to his guitar (no idea why he even chose a semi-hollow when he'd just stuff it..) In addition, plenty of his tone comes from his Mesa Boogie and Marshall amps which he plays at the same time to blend the tones (I'm speaking live performances that is..In the studio, like many artists, he utilizes a plethora of different guitars- LPs, Strats, other ES's, etc.).
blank
i use a microcube most of the time. I use my digitech rp200a pedal a lot to

ya but i don't want a semi-hollow guitar. I like a guitar that you can solo on because thats what im best at. Im used to my epiphone sg cause i like how it feels and i figured a gibson would feel the same. But i thought a new pickup, making it stay in tune and setting the intonation would make it good. I like how it feels.
Quote by MightyAl

]
what if i were just to get locking tuners and set the intonation

it would only cost 100 dollars then and then i could wait till later for a new guitar
Quote by MightyAl

]
Quote by guitar guy 6006
what if i were just to get locking tuners and set the intonation

it would only cost 100 dollars then and then i could wait till later for a new guitar

I wanted to do that too. I say tough it out and put that $100 towards the guitar and get it that much faster. You can set the intonation yourself and save money. I'm pretty sure there's an article about it on UG.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
...why not save and then sell your guitar at a pawn shop or on Ebay and then buy a better guitar

not the SG classic
Quote by JET116
...why not save and then sell your guitar at a pawn shop or on Ebay and then buy a better guitar

not the SG classic

Don't ever sell your guitar at a pawn shop. They will rip you off big time. Ebay is an ok choice if you don't mind the hassle. I say keep it as a momento. It's your first guitar! When you make it big you can frame it
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
its not my first guitar, i have strat copy to

i was thinking about 150-200$ for the sg

and the strat is a yamaha eg 330 or something like that

i was thinking like 125-200$

than i would have like 525-650$ or something like that
Quote by MightyAl

]
In that case, selling it on ebay would probably be a great idea, especially since you are replacing it with another sg. I would call all the guitar shops in town and ask how much they would pay for it first though.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83